Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Alfa FINISHED!

Harry P.

I'm tired of looking at it! I think I'll call it finished! B)

I'm pretty pleased, overall, considering the dozens of problems I ran into along the way. Too bad you can't see the hours spent on it...for instance, the hood alone took 3 days of filling, filing and sanding to get it to fit...and it's still not perfect. Oh well. B)

Here's the finished product:

alfaprogress43.jpg

alfaprogress44.jpg

alfaprogress45.jpg

alfaprogress46.jpg

Harry............. just what can I say??

Except - Absolutely ruddy marvelous.

And believe me, I would believe the amount of hours that's gone into that build. Isn't it frustrating that the more you put into a build - and the more correct it looks. The more folk frustratingly think it was that way to begin with!!!

I'm certainly one that's able to look beyond the visible and appreciate the hours of painstaking work and diligent application in order to produce a project like that. I applaud also the non-red livery you've used, this alone causes one to look deeper and really begin to see not only the work, but the thinking also.

Again....................... "Ruddy marvelous.

Andi

Wow! It turned out beautiful!

I can certainly appreciate your well documented efforts. While I was a bit disappointed in seeing so many issues with such a kit, it was rewarding to see you taking them as challenges and opportunities for improving it.

Well done!

Thanks,

That's absolutely stunning, Harry! B) Looks like it just came off the winning platform at Pebble Beach.

The average builder has no idea the amount of re-engineering to make a Pocher kit look as intended. The majority of them that are ever finished end up looking a little rough around the edges of it because they're so complicated and imperfect. Most people give up the dream long before finishing the model. Seeing a model like this is a treat; this is the first one I've ever seen of this particular kit built to such a lofty standard. I'd love to see it in person! Can we convince you to come join the party here in November at our NNL? We'd love to have you. I'd need oxygen if you and Mark both attended and parked your Alfas next to each other B)

STUNNING!! :o

Like the others have said, the average Joe hasn't a clue how much time it takes to do just a single part for instance let alone an entire Pocher! One has to wonder with today's technology how well a Pocher of those parts count would fare now! :P

Just the same Harry, looking at the pic, I see nothing wrong with the hood.

Some of the Pochers built for magazine ads way back when didn't look as nice as yours! ;)

Absolutely stunning work, Harry!! The coachwork does look like it was lovingly hung by 1/8th scale old-world panelbeaters, rather than the indifferent fit that the kit provides(the "short-sheeted" hood, etc.). You certainly gave a thorough account of the adventures involved in building one of these - whether I will ever attempt one is another matter altogether!!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. This one was truly a model building "adventure", and it's been my pleasure to share it with you guys.

Now I'm ready for my next one...it'll be the 1907 Fiat racer. I've been tracking them on ebay for a while...

Despite the labor pains, it was well worth it. And the fact is, you accomplished all of this in a relatively short period of time for a Pocher. Outstanding & unique among all other builds I've seen. Now finish that XKE.

Yes Sir!!! Working on it as we speak... ;)

Harry,

As others have said, what a beautiful piece of work. I have never personally built a Pocher kit, probably because the amount of time and work involved to make them as nice as yours!

I did work at an Alfa Romeo dealer in the early '80's and know how much work it was to keep a 1:1 version on the road though! Nice cars in nice weather but when it was damp or cold, Fuggettaboutit! Maybe there is a correlation there?

Thanks for sharing your builds.

Mike