Model Cars Magazine Forum

Class of 2012 - a class of one

Jantrix

Built from an unmolested Revell 1/24 '37 Cabrio kit, this features parts from 12+ kits not including decals. The stock fenders were carved up and the floorboards removed to be channeled about 4 scale inches into the body. The color is Krylon Italian Olive satin. A reaction to the clear caused the paint to craze and prompted me to go with the weathered style as the paint cracks were so small. The engine is mostly from the 1/24 '39 Chevy. The rear tires/wheels are from the Boot Hill Express.

Stylistically I've never really been sure how this was going to end up, but I sure had fun finding out. Because I had to lower the front grill to match the channeled body height, I couldn't tilt it backward as much as I would have liked because the front fenders would hit the tires. If I had it to do over I would have made other decisions but overall I'm pleased how it came out.

Here's the WIP if you're interested. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61204&&page=4

Onto the pics. As always comments and criticisms are welcome. You cannot offend me, so please feel free to speak your mind.

2012-12-18111539.jpg

2012-12-18111134.jpg

2012-12-18111217.jpg

2012-12-18111228.jpg

2012-12-18111041.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

I like the overall theme - nice paint choice, engine is really cool, and the decals. I would like to see it in person to look at it from different angles - it's hard to see it all in perspective with the fenders on the front and no fenders on the rear. Original design on the front fenders makes it unusual and a nice deviation from the normal. Only thing I could see as improvement is maybe section the front grill area so it's not so tall. It could be perspective from the angle of the pictures too.

I like the low roll bar - I can see the driver sitting low cruising by.

Great job.

Edited by Erik Smith

• 2 weeks later...

The pirate themed Merc is in design limbo for the time being. Also all the fabric added to the interior has become a fitment nightmare and I'm not sure what to do with it at this time.

But all in all, I'm glad I got this one done. Here's hoping 2013 is better for the bench.