Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 months later...

Once I got the rear body section mounting points established so I could put it on and take it off the frame and have it line up the same every time, I went back to setting up the rear suspension. I made the upper links that determine where the rear wheels would reside in relation to the wheel well openings. More brass…

I also made the outer CV joints and stubs to mount the rear rotors out of aluminum.

DSC02530_zps4ee4f621.jpg

DSC02529_zps876b82e9.jpg

The CV boots will be soft and dyed black like the tires. The mold has already been made from this aluminum master I turned for them.

DSC02531_zps7ed59a53.jpg

Thank you Scott.

I cast the CV boots out of a rubber-like elastomeric resin and made half-shafts out of brass. Here is one CV/axle assembly and a “loose boot”. The inboard CV joints are already installed on the pumpkin.

DSC02541_zps4da86c44.jpg

Here are both sides installed into the car. There is enough flexibility for the rear suspension to work. Top:

DSC02542_zpsc817fcfd.jpg

Bottom:

DSC02543_zps1605ce90.jpg

looks incredible Mark! just fabulous scratch building! makes me want to throw in the towel!!

You? Throwing the towel..??

You are way too modest. Your work is as amazing as his... I've been doing models since 1980, and I would never imagine attempting building something like you both do. Your work is amazing. I was even surprised to discover another dude that makes something on the same level as your cuda.

Yes, Mark's work is magnificent....And so you are.... ;)

Edited by mopar_guy1

Thanks guys. I had the privilege of meeting Bill and his humbleness was refreshing. No reason to compare, I think Bill’s workmanship is exceptional too.

Here’s more boots… Since I was making CV boots, I decided to make the steering rack boots as well. I turned a master from aluminum and cast soft rubber-like accordion boots.

DSC02545_zpsbe028c45.jpg

Mark, the boots look great. With all those ribs, I'm surprised you're able to get them off the aluminum form. The rubber must be quite flexible. Great work in any case.

Thanks Alyn,

But I think you may be missing the process I used to make copies.

The aluminum piece is the master. I made a two part RTV mold off it, then I cast the rubbery elastomeric resin from the RTV mold.

Yes, the elastomeric stuff can be very gooey and flexible, it depends on the ratio it is mixed. It is actually easier to get the parts out of the mold if I mix it on the firm side.

Thanks Steve, means a lot coming from you.

After I made a few steering rack bellows, I decided to make the rack, but I needed to make the cross member/mount for the rack first. All these assemblies are made of brass, (except the boots).

DSC02576_zps938cdea9.jpg

Once I install it into the frame with the engine I can get measurements to determine where the steering shaft will go. This one has some “working boots” on it so I’m not worried if they marred during the building.

DSC02574_zpsbe23efba.jpg

DSC02575_zpsab0da31d.jpg

Astonishing stuff. Just to brighten your day, looks like there's a new Caterham in the pipeline, introduced today at the Singapore Grand Prix -- the AeroSeven Concept, due for production about a year from now.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/5675/Caterham-AeroSeven-Concept.html

Caterham-AeroSeven-Concept_1_zps349918db

Edited by sjordan2