Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy 150 Illinois State Police

tomsheehy

Well, how do you like that...I finished one. Good start to the New Year, even though it took almost all of last year to build it. This kit fought me all the way. Its based on the old tool AMT 55 Chevy kit that is, by no means, an easy build with all the flash and poorly molded parts. The body is a resin 4 door sedan from Resin Realm, it wasn't that easy to work with either, very thick casting in some spots made the fit onto the kit pretty tough. In retrospect, it would have been easier just converting the plastic body. Anyway, once I started building the AMT chassis, I found that my 'factory sealed' kit was missing a bunch of chassis parts. I tried to use parts box stuff for the missing items, but it just didn't fit right. So I acquired an open box Revell-Mono 55 convertible kit and modified that chassis to fit this one. That was a good move, resulting in a much better detailed engine and chassis. The body needed a lot of clean up and a trip into the purple pond due to paint issues. It finally came together with Tamiya white and black out of the can. I used a bunch of the Monogram 55 parts for the trim, including the grill, mirrors, door handles and emblems. The decals are vinyl that were custom made by a friend.

Now that its done, I really feel like I accomplished something. Its my first build in a long time, and now that I have time, I'll be coming up with a few more soon.

Here's a few pics...

P1014652-vi.jpg

P1014653-vi.jpg

P1014654-vi.jpg

P1014658-vi.jpg

P1014660-vi.jpg

PC294647-vi.jpg

PC294648-vi.jpg

PC314651-vi.jpg

NICE job Tom! That body, if you got it from Resin Realm is PROBABLY an old R&R casting! As soon as you said 'Rather THICK castings...." I KNEW what it was! That being said, you've done a GREAT job on this little cruiser! It came out VERY nice, considering what you had to do to get it to look THAT nice! Again, GREAT JOB!!!