Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz - - FINISHED

Ramfins59

Yep... she's finally done. I spent a total of about 4 hours applying and trimming all the BMF on this classy looking beast. I used some Gold BMF for the hood, trunk and fin emblems. It didn't want to stick on very well, so I sprayed some clearcoat over them to seal them on, then polished out the clear. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Not really a terrible kit if given some love and attention... and a lot of extra details. Here she is......

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDFRONT1024x73

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDTHREEQUARTER

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDSIDE1024x757

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDREAR1024x689

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDINTERIOR1024

1958CADILLACELDORADOFINISHEDENGINE1024x7

Thanks for looking in on this. Any and all comments are welcomed, as always. I think I might take a day off from modeling tomorrow. Then I'll decide what to work on next.

Thank you so very much everyone for all your wonderful and encouraging comments.

Nick (High Octane) - This was the IMEX/Arii kit in 1/24 scale. There was not really a whole lot of detail in the engine compartment and I added a LOT in there, going by reference pictures that I googled.

Steve (Ridge Rider) - I think you may be right about another late 50's car being on the horizon...... I just have to decide which one.

Dan - Thanks for the birthday wishes... 66 today..!! And also thanks again for the trade on the kit.

Anne - While it may look like each individual letter for ELDORADO is foiled individually on the trunk...... they're not..!! I may be good at foiling, but that good I'm not. I cut the foil along the tops and bottoms of the lettering (using my magnifier of course). I was able to burnish the foil down really well with both a QTip and a toothpick. The gold foil doesn't want to stick very well so I sprayed some clearcoat over it after finally getting it trimmed and staying in place. It took me 4 hours to do ALL of the foiling on this car... the chrome AND the gold.

Michael J - Yeah, you'll be seeing this and a bunch of other models that I've finished since last year when I see you in a couple of weeks.

Happy Birthday Rich! You deserve a day off! Even taking a day off, I'm sure your mind has not stopped thinking about the next build for the bench... another '58? Maybe a 1958 VW Beetle? That's the first year of the larger (non oval) rear window. It will contrast nicely with the big boats.

And what about a class of '58 group photo?

Thanks Tom. You're right about "what am I thinking about for my next 50's project". I don't know if the next one will be a '58 or not. I'll tell you right now that I'm NOT into VW's. I've got he whole decade of the 50's to choose from.

Tom you are the third person who has either asked for or mentioned seeing a group picture of all the '58's that I've built recently (Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Edsel, Ford and Plymouth). I also built a Pro Street '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery about 17 years ago (I can't believe it was that long ago..!!). I will definitely work on getting that group picture done,... although that means that I'll have to unpack all the models that I already have packed up for NNL East.... yeah... I'm looking forward to the Show, as always Tom.

"Class of '58" photo...... I like that. Coming soon. .

Congrats on making it this far Rich! A class of '58 photo would be cool. I would do a class of '72 (my grad year) but there aren't many kits, and not that many kit-worthy subjects from those days. Crazy girl, you picked the best rock'n'roll band of all time IMHO!