Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 ford taildragger

Zed

Just chopped a good old 40 Coupe from Amt ...yes i know Revell one is a lot more accurate, but i got 3 of these babies in stock, so i got to do something outta them ! :cry:

The top chop will be the only major body change as i will give it the early taildragger look, with skirts from the sedan, 41 Stude tailites, and 37 desoto bumpers ... :D

So here we go :

2938.jpg

2945.jpg

2948.jpg

2949.jpg

2951.jpg

2961.jpg

2967.jpg

2964.jpg

2987.jpg

3009.jpg

looks better than stock, uh? What do you think ? :D

2941.jpg

Hope the pictures speak for themselves , because i'm not good enough in english to tell all the details of the building ...sorry ! :oops:

Thanks for the kind of words guys ! :D

Looks good.I have a question tho.Why did you cut the slots in the rear of the roof?Was it to help reshape the rear of the top by making it lay flatter?

yes ! these are called "pie cuts" , they've maid to help bending the plastic into shape !

piecuts7rr.jpg

The green ones to put the C pillar in place without having to cut the top in halves, and the red one to make a smoother transition for the back window... :wink:

Great minds think alike Zed. Here is my take on the Revell 40 Ford. I chopped the top and sectioned the body as well. I need to get the rear end lower though. I may swap in a model A or T rear spring and perch just like the real rodders do. That should bring the rear into the weeds!!!

40Ford3.jpg

Thanks for the kind of words guys, glad you like it ! :oops:

Yours looks kool too Ken, may be you could post some other pics ! :D

Lee, the material is just body filler ! i put some tape from behind to keep a shape, and then i spread some putty on it ! not very noble, but it works ! :wink:

Yeah, that 40 has taken a middle seat, it hasn't taken a complete back seat yet :D I have something else that I am working on that I cannot speak of just yet. When the time comes it will be revealed. Body work is just about done on the secret project. The 40 ford will be finished after that.

• 1 month later...

Some little news about the 40.... :)

It seems that the chop was too heavy for a real early taildragger, :? so now i'm trying to do a circa 50's one ...no big deal, just some changes in the accessories :caddy sombreros, '48 ford bumpers with tailites in the guards.... :lol:

Just made a real simple paterned tuck n roll interior with V-groove

3207.jpg

and enlarged the side windows to make it look more "natural"

3213.jpg