Model Cars Magazine Forum

Digital cameras

After a lengthy break I'm back into building models again and hope to actualy complete one,question is...I'm in the market for a camera to take pics of completed models,would something like this take half decent photo's?

http://www.joycemayne.com.au/fujifilm-finepix-jx550-16mp-digital-camera-black.html

Can't afford a flash expensive one just yet but don't want to end up buying something that you can't see any detail in either.

That is a decent point and shoot camera, it should do just fine for taking pis of models, but getting good quality photos isnt just about the camera, its more about good lighting, a crappy camera can shoot good pictures with the right lighting.

Without being facetious, cameras don't take crappy photos, photographers do. You can get a decent photo with the most basic of cameras if you take the time to understand the limits of it's focus and how it handles different light. With those two thoughts you need a camera that has a good macro(close up) focus function and it capable of taking a photo in ambient light. Macro focus and internal flashes tend to wash out the subject so if possible, you need to go to the store and test the cameras with the flash off. The best thing to test them on in a store in another camera. Get as close as you can and see how close it will focus. If you can get a decent photo in the store, it should work ok on the workbench.

Good luck.

The two biggest enemies of model photographs are soft focus and camera shake. Take a model or something about the same size to the store and make sure the camera will focus on it fairly close. Make sure it has a self timer and get a small tripod for it to keep it steady. I have a $20 one for my point and shoot and a $500 one for my digital SLR and wouldn't shoot without one. My other hobby is photography.

Dale

That camera will be fine for taking pictures of models. Just be sure it has a macro setting for taking closeup pictures. 16 Megapixels will capture a lot of closeup detail so be sure your work is nice and clean and well lit.

The key I find is if it has macro mode and digital zoom. I fins that my pics have a better depth of field if I take the picture from further away, and zoom it in.

I bought a Fuji camera too for like 199. This is my photo set up and I get really good pics.

Here is the thing....the last set of pictures I took and posted were from my Iphone, and they were as good as my camera ! So as Jonathan said above its more about the lighting and background than the camera.

Here is my set up. PICS taken quite a while back.

DSC04167.jpg

and I got this picture. This is just a inexpensive camera in macro mode.

chopperblue.jpg

Here is a good link regarding photographing scale models.

http://ipmseaglesquadron.org/ES-forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=dvgp1niaoj63ilv5cp6e6o2ls7&topic=871.msg4216#msg4216

Ian over at Scale Model Addict.com has a very good primer on the topic. You need to be a member to get to the forums, and since I am, I don't know if it is accessible from the front page. That link would be:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com

Dale

That is a decent point and shoot camera, it should do just fine for taking pis of models, but getting good quality photos isnt just about the camera, its more about good lighting, a crappy camera can shoot good pictures with the right lighting.

Please make a note of what Martin fan said !!!!!!!!!!

As for that camera, yes, probably it will do a nice job. The more pixels you have, usually a person can expect a camera to do decent close up work. Just remember , you will need a DECENT sized S. D. Card as these cameras do require a lot of memory ! For general hit the show work, I've been using an older Cannon point and shoot camera . it only has 14 pixels and a 4X lens . I use a Kodak C-195 to do still work of finished models . It has 14 pixels , does about 6-8 pictures to a FULL S. D. card and is easy to use here at the office .

Jeff's motorcycle image above is one of the best I've seen in macro mode. But most macro shots I see here tend to lose focus toward the background, because you need a lot of light on the subject for a good depth of field. It's good for very small parts, however. I just use a regular photo setting and shoot it from a bit back and wide, keeping everything in focus. Then, I crop into the picture for the framing I want before posting.

Edited by sjordan2

Jeff's motorcycle image above is one of the best I've seen in macro mode. But most macro shots I see here tend to lose focus toward the background, because you need a lot of light on the subject for a good depth of field. It's good for very small parts, however. I just use a regular photo setting and shoot it from a bit back and wide, keeping everything in focus. Then, I crop into the picture for the framing I want before posting.

If you have a non-digital zoom(actual lens not computer cropping) I prefer be back and zoom in. It reduces distortion and gives you a better depth of field. More light with a smaller lens opening and slower shutter speed also improves focus an depth of field.

What they said. That camera should be fine.

You will also find it is a great tool for getting that perfect finish when sanding or puttying. Those large photos will show imperfections you can't see with the naked eye.

I have been using a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for some time now.

It is an excellent little camera, with a fast Leica Zoom lens.

Great for taking pictures in low light without flash or a tripod, and I don't have to lug a bag full of gear around the shows any more.

The zoom range is a bit limited but the optic is superb.

Since the LX3 was released, the LX5 and LX7 have become available.

The LX3 can be picked up second hand for a reasonable price these days. About £150.00 in the UK ($200.00? or maybe less).

There are a number of other slightly older generation Pro Sumer Compacts worth looking at such as the Nikon and Canon top end compacts.

You might be able to save some money on eBay. Here's a new one for $70, and you might save even more if you find a remanufactured one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-FinePix-JX580-JX550-16-0-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/161030526645?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item257e2ad6b5

Thanks,have found the same camera brand new in another local shop for $70

That camera will be fine for taking pictures of models. Just be sure it has a macro setting for taking closeup pictures. 16 Megapixels will capture a lot of closeup detail so be sure your work is nice and clean and well lit.

A tripod will also help the quality of your photos, in conjunction with the macro setting; I have a full-size tripod(40+" fully extended) and a mini tabletop one. My total investment in both tripods was about $25.

The secret to good closeups, as I was told, is to let your zoom get as close as possible; I don't get my camera any closer than about 8-12"

Let me say this; I paid about $900 for my DSLR a few years ago. I still have issues. With the right lighting, my cell phone takes just as good pictures. Listen to these guys, it's all about the lighting.

I went on Amazon and bought a few things. A Photo light tent and a two-lamp setup from Cowboy Studio. They aren't the best quality, but they'll work. I replaced the bulbs with these 55 watt carbon flourescent bulbs. they are BRIGHT, one in my garage makes it like day time at night.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Fluorescent-Daylight-Balanced-Bulb/dp/B001ML011Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1370981335&sr=8-10&keywords=55+watt+cfl+bulb