Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Cadillac "Le Monstre" 24Hr Le Mans...

Brizio

The car is a Cadillac, but not a fancy one, with luxurious interior and and tons of chrome... The one I want to replicate is the one raced a the 24Hr of Le Mans in 1950... The one the french press called "Le Monstre" because of it unusual shape... :)

After 30 years two American cars went back to Le Mans. This time two 1950 Cadillac, one a pretty much stock Serie 61 (changed carburetors, add an auxiliary tank, and few other things), the second one built bi Cunningham with the help of the Grumman Aircraft, had a 5 carburetor set up and a more "aerodynamic" shape. :)

The Serie 61 was driven by Sam and Miles Collier, and finished 10th. Le Monstre was driven by Cunningham and Phil Walters, and finished 11th... :) They say because he spend over 30 minutes on a sand hole and had to borrow a shovel from a spectator because he did not have one in the car.

v19g.jpg

Here both cars.

blf6.png

Here the chassis/interior, the chassis is from my model parts box and it has dimension correct for what I think I'm building.

zu86.jpg

Edited by Brizio

Here some more work on it... Actually not too much... But it will be necessary for build the body...

Some putty on the tunnel, and add fort test only the front suspension system so I can start to check the wheelbase and ground clearance. I will replace the front suspension with the one in the other pics.

65hl.jpg

Next step is working on the body... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! I'll be watching this. Which kit did the chassis come from? Also what engine do you plan on using? I've got a Modelhaus Caddy that I'll be building one day to do the sister car. I've been hoping that Paul Fisher would do this car for years but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Nic

Thank you all guys! :)

@ScaleCentral, The chassis come from my part box, and I don't have idea what car was. For the engine I will plan to modify a engine I have to resemble as mush as possible the one used on the real car. I will post picture as soon I get there. :)
When I was looking to find material to build this car, I found that there is a French company that make the kit of this car in 1/43 scale.

@George 53, could be that is from one of the car you mentioned. I don't have idea. But also I don't care to much, the bottom of the car is covered, so the chassis will not show up. :)

@Plasticfanatic, cool about the magazine! Probably a that time of the magazine you have the car was not restored.

I cut the head off to a lot of screws, and glue them on the car.

urk8.jpg

The next thing I made are the windows mount.
o8nh.jpg

Here the back part.
1e4a.jpg