Model Cars Magazine Forum

Traditional HAH! real deal here

So this cars been going to the cruise nights in my area for a few years and I've talked to the owner a number of times.It seems that when I have my camera its not at the cruise night and when it shows up I don't have my camera. The cruise gods smiled on me tonight and I finally got some pics. First the story. Car was completed and put on the road in 1958. The current owner bought the car in 1963 and drove it regularly for 17 years. Then family and kids started taking presidence so the car was parked in a garage and stored properly. In 2009 the owner took it out made a few upgrades (alternater, radial tires and a rack and pinion) but otherwise untouched and drives it regularly since. So with out further adue here is a real hot rod.

cruisein020_zps50233d48.jpg

cruisein025_zps5d62bc6b.jpg

cruisein021_zps2fd25373.jpg

cruisein023_zps40a4aef1.jpg

cruisein024_zps5875fc7b.jpg

cruisein022_zps28d99252.jpg

And here is the owner next to it that bought the car in 1963. The little old lady from Middleboro

cruisein051_zps99e4583a.jpg

Thanks for for looking Jeff

She was saying after putting them on she liked the wide whites alot better and that when she where's them out shes going to but the wide white radials on,but how much she drives it she'll probably have the ww by the end of the season. She uses it almost daily as long as its not going to rain she's drivin it.

Oh wow. Not too many girls had their own hot rods back then - the trad rodders on the H.A.M.B. would go nuts over it!

Thanks for the closeups of the engine - I need to do some linkage and fuel lines on a set of triple carbs and that helps a lot.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

That's a rad little hot rod. The radials look really bad, but what a great car. Fully pleated interior, cycle fenders, nailhead...and a great stance. Love it. Even with a few boogers like the radials and those gawky turn signals on the front, I love it. I'd drive the bejessus out of that and feel 10 feet tall the whole time. Someone would be dodging those floor mats as I tossed them out while I peeled out of the parking lot.

Beautiful nailhead and finned Buick drums to boot...

Ah man, a groovy car, and I'm sure the radials help the handling, but they don't do anyhting for the car visually.

The body sure doesn't do much for me either. Looks like it might be an early 'glass tub. Overall nice time capsule though.

Looking at that chopped up deuce rad shell reminds me of dad talking about A's and B's still being plentiful enough you could buy one for a couple of parts and scrap the rest of the hulk. Of course, they're kicking themselves now...

mike

Edited by mk11

I was wondering if anyone would pick it out. Kudo's to Mike and John. Yes that is one of the original fiberglass bodies. The original builders had to make there own substructure to support it because of how thin and flimsy it is.

True period funk from start to finish. The kind of car that will probably never make it into TRJ - an accurate representation of a one owner (well actually 2 but just barely, given it's 55 years old...) daily driver. From the classic East Coast 50's channel job, fenders, paint, and striping, to the sporty car luggage rack, stereo speakers and rubber floor mats, just looking at the pictures shows all kinds of "fingerprints" of the various eras where it has been used. Sure the radials are wrong, wrong, wrong, but ya gotta love it! And a female owner who couldn't have been much out of her teens when she bought it in '63... Fascinating! Thanx for posting! B):)

P.S. - The stuff about the fiberglas body is very interesting. I'd love to know more...

P.SS. - The full dress Tri-power Nailhead is beyond cool, too. What a car this must have been in '58!

Edited by Bernard Kron

P.S. - The stuff about the fiberglas body is very interesting. I'd love to know more...

...Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure (99.97283319%) I have an ad in an old '50s issue of one of the rod rags for this exact body, in fiberglass. The way the rear corners are squared off and the molded bases for the round lights (which I believe the manufacturer noted could also be opened and used for exhausts) is what triggered the remembry. The body did come with the doors and decklid molded in solid, but the ad said they could "easily be made functional"...

I guess I'm not much of a traditionalist.

I never have figured out what's the rub with radial tires.

Granted, they don't look like bias plys.

Maby it's the engineer in me...radials are a definate superior design for performance & handeling & that's what engineering is all about...better design, better function...form follows function.

Yet, here I am, using a flathead engine in my project, which is an 80 yr old design...maby I'm conflicted in some way... :blink:

Edited by Ognib