Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blue Rocket '50 Olds coupe

Doctordarryl

The inspiration for this build was a car I built when I lived in San Diego (a blue '49 Olds coupe with a bored 394 Olds engine with 2-fours and a '54 Olds hydro trans with a B&M shift kit) and an episode of Loud N' Fast.

This is a great kit and went together well. I lowered the front by about 3 scale inches by moving the wheel mounting points on the upright higher by about 3mm. I used a modified 9" Ford rear from a Revell '41 Willys drag car. The kit engine was modified to look more like a 394 engine by remounting the oil filter housing and adding a spin on canster-type oil filter. The valve covers were for a Pontiac engine from a Blue Printer Parts Pack that were treated to Alclad II and oil breathers from Detail Master. The intake and exhaust headers were from an AMT '62 Chevy 409 kit. The AFB carbs were resin items found on e-bay (anyone know who made these - I am looking for more). The '55 Olds aircleaner was a resin item from Scale Auto Details. I replaced the kit manual trans with a hydro from a Revell '41 Willys drag car kit.

The body was sprayed with Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer after cleanup and wet sanding with a 4000-grit polishing cloth. The base coat was airbrushed Tamiya Metallic Blue (TS-19), followed by Tamiya Transparent Blue (TS-72), then Tamiya Pearl Clear (TS-65), and finished off with Tamiya Clear (TS-13). Bare Metal Foil was used for the chrome trim. The wheels and tires were picked up at the NNL Nationals in Toledo last year just for this project.

The interior was sprayed with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. Front seats from a Revell '32 Ford Sedan kit were used. An automatic shifter/console from Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland was used.

A fun build.

post-7848-0-11208600-1375019804_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-00870300-1375019821_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-07565800-1375019864_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-94087100-1375019869_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-05041500-1375019876_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-58769900-1375019858_thumb.jp

Beautiful! Love that blue, what is it?

Lee,

The body was sprayed with two wet coats of Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer. The color coats are comprised of four layers, two wet coats for each layer. A base of Tamiya Metallic Blue followed by Tamiya Transparent Blue. That was followed by Tamiya Pearl Clear and topped off with Tamiya Clear. A technique I developed a few years ago uses a wet coat of airbrushed lacquer thinner on top of the last clear coat to level the finish and yield a high gloss. I airbrushed all the Tamiya paints and cut them 1:1 with Dupli-Color Lacquer Thinner. No sanding or polishing after the primer coats.

A stunning model Darryl. I though for sure that blue would have taken a months worth of polishing, but you say no polishing required. I wish I could get a wet look finish like that straight out of the gun!

Lovely pics. Do you have any of the interior? Just curious about how that shifter looks.