Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you visit Hobby Lobby?

Well, I finally saw a Hobby Lobby today. I went to their new store in Lawrenceville, NJ. With all the hype of this thread, and others by you guys, I was expecting something cool. I was very disappointed to find nothing more than another Michaels or AC Moore / Joanne's Fabric clone store. It's NOT a hobby shop, more of a craft and junk store. There's many aisles of cloth and fake old signs and press board antique furniture than any hobby materials.

The stamp and coin supply section is beyond pathetic. Shouldn't even have tried. The model aisle had recent kits, with some higher than Michaels and some marked down to the $15 range. Model supplies were also minimal. I guess if it's the only access you have to models, it would be almost acceptable.

The few positives I saw was that the store was very well maintained. Nothing out of place, every kit was straight although it was hiding that the models were only one kit deep. They didn't have much in the way of paint, but they had the Testors One Coat Lacquer Flaming Orange paint I needed. I used their 40% off coupon on it. The help was very pleasant. The cashier was an older lady who probably was the nicest one I've run into in a long time.

All in all, I expected more.. not AC Moore!

Model supplies were also minimal. I guess if it's the only access you have to models, it would be almost acceptable.

Around here, even in a heavy retail area, I have two choices:

HTUSA, where the employees are either extremely rude and hateful, or bend over backwards. Typically, I get the rude and hateful guy, so I stay clear of the place, most of the time.

HL is my other choice. Their paint selection rivals the HTUSA, and I don't have a hateful guy smarting off every time I walk in the door.

Hoping the Notch back Cop car Mustang finds its way on to the shelf. That and the Ford truck race car hauler, i will be there everyday for a week buying one of each of them if they stock them.

+1, that would be very nice. They are getting rid of the REO semi, so maybe the Ford hauler will be the one to replace it.

Its just the standard 40% off you can get with their coupons (app or the paper). I was gonna wait for the deeper cuts....I just wonder what's gonna replace em...

Jeff

Last time they had a clearance sale to move old kits, they never marked them down further. Except for the toy like Willy's drag cars that they had. There is one of those still on clearance here for 6.49 and it is left over from the last reset clearance sale. The staff at the Hobby Lobby that I went to today had no idea what was going to replace the current stock.

Around here, even in a heavy retail area, I have two choices:

HTUSA, where the employees are either extremely rude and hateful, or bend over backwards. Typically, I get the rude and hateful guy, so I stay clear of the place, most of the time.

HL is my other choice. Their paint selection rivals the HTUSA, and I don't have a hateful guy smarting off every time I walk in the door.

I go to my HTUSA for absolutely nothing anymore. A few years ago he started hiring kids who know nothing hobbywise and the model selection is a joke. He never gets any new kits and restocks whatever kit sells with the same exact one because he thinks that since someone bought it that's what everyone else will want, wrong!! We call them Hobby Clown USA. Also they fail when it comes to R/C. Whenever I need a part no matter what it may be it always has to be ordered.

Last time they had a clearance sale to move old kits, they never marked them down further. Except for the toy like Willy's drag cars that they had. There is one of those still on clearance here for 6.49 and it is left over from the last reset clearance sale. The staff at the Hobby Lobby that I went to today had no idea what was going to replace the current stock.

Ours is having a clearance right now at $11.99. Ours too never knows what they will get in once the clearance kits move out.

Ours is having a clearance right now at $11.99. Ours too never knows what they will get in once the clearance kits move out.

That is better than here. I tried last time they had a clearance sale to mention that it isn't a clearance at 40% off since I could use the coupon and get the same discount. The manager just looked at me like I'm a fool, which I might actually be.

That is better than here. I tried last time they had a clearance sale to mention that it isn't a clearance at 40% off since I could use the coupon and get the same discount. The manager just looked at me like I'm a fool, which I might actually be.

That is a clearance price, yes, it happens to be the same percentage off as the coupon, but you dont have to use the coupon, its still a clearance price

I tried last time they had a clearance sale to mention that it isn't a clearance at 40% off since I could use the coupon and get the same discount.

the difference is that with the 40% coupon you could only get that discount on ONE item. With the clearance sale, you could empty the shelf into your cart.

And it's interesting to see the people who don't know about or just don't use that coupon. Yesterday I was on line behind a lady who had two large decorating items in her cart. She didn't use a coupon and her bill was $120. So that 40% off really would have saved her money.

Back when I printed out the coupon (not long ago I only got my Smart Phone in December!) when I didn't see anything I needed, I'd look for someone with a big item in their cart and give them the coupon.

• 3 weeks later...