Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much would you spend to build a complete model?

Ok, there is another thread going that people talk about how much they would spend to buy a kit. It has gone on for a while and we have a very wide range of answers from free to hundreds, even thousands of dollars.

My question is this. Do you have a maximum that you personally would spend on a kit, aftermarket stuff, and everything else to build a model the way you want. This is not "How much would you spend to build a contest winning kit?" That is a whole new thread. You can include everything but the time you would spend. Whether that is rare kits, tools, special paint, decals, aftermarket parts, raw materials, chrome plating or what ever. Just curious.

Edited by Pete J.

I try to spend as little as possible, but there are those kits that I will spend a little bit extra on, like they say, it just all depends

I can answer with a dollar amount, to build a subject that I wanted, I spent, well ok, SWBO spent $70 on a trans kit for me so I could, I so far have spent $50 on another transkit

Edited by martinfan5

While I don't spend enough of my time working on my model kits like I should. I really don't have the time to spend taking notes of how much money I've spent on a particular kit, or the number of hours either. I build for enjoyment and keeping track of anything besides the parts I'm using is way too busy for me.

I see it this way, if I want to build a subject bad enough, the cost doesn't matter, just the amount of free cash in the bank account does! I have some builds in the planning stages in my brain rattling around that will probably cost me well into at least the $500 range, and if not more. My personal record so far is on my ongoing Ford LTL9000 custom, and with the price of the kit ($80), price of the colorshifting paint used on the frame and cab ($20 a can and 3 cans for a grand total of $60), and as of this point, probably about $50 in resin goodies, and that total will probably get larger before the truck is complete.

I don't keep a tab and maybe I don't want to know. We build for the enjoyment and some subjects just cost more. Most of my builds are box stock muscle so many are finished under $40 including the kit. I know I have some rare kits the I will have over $200 in when done but those are few and far between. Many of them will have aftermarket decals and correct paint and clear. Those builds I know will have about $30 just in those items alone.

Many of my restoration projects have extra costs that I know I will have. I get many of the parts rechromed. I usually mount up two racks of chrome items at a cost of $65. Most of the time it is about 10 models worth of stuff averaging out to 6.50 a project. Many are just the bumpers and wheels but more recently I sent out Johan Marlin parts that were twice as many. Many of my rebuilders cost between $40 to $50 just to buy. Some cost me a lot more but that is because of the subject. A real nice stock built up 68 Impala $80 missing nothing.

l don't put much into a kit. Kit price witch l have not spent but 36 to 40 dollars once. Most of my kits are Hobby Lobby, 40 percent off and model roundup 19 and 20 dollars. l have paint but most is rattle can and foil goes a long way. So l say most of my builds are 20 dollar models when finished....

Edited by slusher

It would depend on how badly I wanted to build a specific subject. For me, it's not always cars. Right now I'd gladly spend a few hundred for a good "O" scale model of the "Big Boy" Locomotive and tender. The good Lionel or other powered versions are generally close to or over $1000. For a static kit with all the details, $3-400 would be better than paying $6-7-800 for the Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari 288 GTO. I've also been looking at the Union Pacific diesels that replicate the ones I see in the yards in nearby Roseville. The "O" scale dummies run about $120-200, while the powered ones go $200-600. They are about the size of 1/8 scale cars, but no kits to DIY seem to be available.

So, I guess the answer in real numbers might be ..... nope...can't say for sure. There are a few diecasts and kits I want that have pushed above $1000. I haven't bit the bullet yet, but I suppose it could happen if I can make up a reason to justify it. Think of getting a perfect kit of Winfield's Deusenberg or some of the spectacular 1/8 scale scratchbuilt one-offs out there.

Right now I'd gladly spend a few hundred for a good "O" scale model of the "Big Boy" Locomotive and tender.

Ken, I don't know if you have interest in other scales than just "O" scale, but if you do and you were not aware of this kit, this is a Revell of Germany "HO" scale kit.

HPIM1711.jpg

This thread ask how much it cost, or would cost, to build a kit. The other thread ask how much you would pay for a kit.

Example 1: I spent $75 on an out of production Aurora Racing Series Engine kit.

Example 2: I spent 25.00 on a resin body, 10.00 on Custom Decals, 25.00 on a donor kit and about 25.00 on paints

See the difference?

I don't wanna know and I don't keep track or even add it all up. The truth is that the longer we build the cheaper the models become since we already have a good arsenal of parts, parts kits and supplies. I will go to the hobby shop and stock up on $60 worth of Evergreen, and never think about the cost again as I dig into it on my builds. And general supplies are stretched across several to many builds. I have packs of small items like radio diodes for fuel filters, engine wire etc that are 20 years old.

The irony is that for all the high dollar kits and resin pieces I own, I tend to build my better models from current releases, kits bought dirt cheap and junk box parts.

For the most part I build box stock. So I would guess maybe in the $10-15 range on top of the price of the kit. And most of my building stock costs in the $10-15 range . so I would figure in the $20-30 range per build.

But, I do have a bunch of old builtups, and with many of them it could be I paid anywhere from $40 to $100 just for the kit.

So for me it all comes down to how bad I want it in my display case .

Thanks, Mat. I have had that kit still in the box for a few years (just to make sure I have one if they stop producing it). I haven't attempted it because...well, too many projects right now anyway, ...mostly because it's smaller than I want to build. Granted, the "O" scale is very big, and the "G" is big enough to put my grandkids on, but HO is tough on my eyes. I hadn't seen the Revell AG kit built, and yours looks really nice. I wish there was a choice somewhere in between. But after seeing yours, I may reconsider keeping the scale down and saving all that space for other models. ;)

This thread ask how much it cost, or would cost, to build a kit. The other thread ask how much you would pay for a kit.

Example 1: I spent $75 on an out of production Aurora Racing Series Engine kit.

Example 2: I spent 25.00 on a resin body, 10.00 on Custom Decals, 25.00 on a donor kit and about 25.00 on paints

See the difference?

Check it again champ... This thread asks how much you would spend to build a complete model.... The other thread asks ... What would you spend on a model ( buying & building it )

Both questions are 1 & the same.... So like I said....

This forum is obsessively repetitive.... & it's becoming quite annoying & boring.

One of the great things about this forum is that there is something for everyone. If it's not your cup of tea, no one is required to join in or participate. So why choose to rain on somebody else's parade. I considered my question carefully when I wrote it, looking for different information from what I saw on the other thread.

To those who are participating in the original intent, thank you for your constructive comments.

One of the great things about this forum is that there is something for everyone. If it's not your cup of tea, no one is required to join in or participate. So why choose to rain on somebody else's parade. I considered my question carefully when I wrote it, looking for different information from what I saw on the other thread.

To those who are participating in the original intent, thank you for your constructive comments.

So your idea of carefully considering the other thread & your's is adding the word "completed".... Wow... Impressively boring.

Gee, Slugger, maybe you should learn how to read and comprehend yourself.

The question from the other thread is:

"l was looking at some out of production kits and l was shocked at how much some are. l have never spent but 40 bucks once. l just can't spend alot on a kit no matter how much l want it. Was wondering how much other builders might spend..??"

Gee, Slugger, maybe you should learn how to read and comprehend yourself.

The question from the other thread is:

"l was looking at some out of production kits and l was shocked at how much some are. l have never spent but 40 bucks once. l just can't spend alot on a kit no matter how much l want it. Was wondering how much other builders might spend..??"

Thanks Jesse, l corrected it. l also found that 36 dollar kit looking for another one. Still sealed.

OK. It's not uncommon to spend $100 or more for a kit I want, but the extra detailing parts, paint and supplies, any modifications/replacements to the original parts can easily total another $100. Does that qualify for the difference between what the kit costs "off the shelf" and then "complete"? Did I miss anything here? Clear?

OK. It's not uncommon to spend $100 or more for a kit I want, but the extra detailing parts, paint and supplies, any modifications/replacements to the original parts can easily total another $100. Does that qualify for the difference between what the kit costs "off the shelf" and then "complete"? Did I miss anything here? Clear?

Yes the other topic was how much would you spend to buy a kit you wanted this one is how much would you spend to build it to a completed model