Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

You can google Las Vegas shooting. Short version is 2 idiots shot (execution style) 2 Las Vegas police officers while they were having lunch at a CiCi's Pizza and then went over to a Wal-Mart and killed another person, then killed themselves. They had said something about the "start of the revolution" and had that old flag with the coiled snake "Don't Tread on Me".

Actions like these make me glad I didn't become a police officer in Washington, DC in 1970 and very happy that I visit the Law Enforcement Memorial in DC just about every year in November.

Two whackos, male and female, entered a CiCi's Pizza and ambushed two LVMPD officers eating lunch. After assassinating them, they stole their guns, ammo and reportedly one officer's body armor. The pair walked across the street to a Wal-Mart where they began to shoot the place up. They were engaged by a male with a CCW who put up a good fight but was shot and killed. Responding officers were met with a fusilade of shots. The couple realized they were surrounded so they retreated to the warehouse area where she shot he and then shot herself in a suicide pact.

Scary as that is, the pair were heard shouting "tell the cops the revolution has begun!" WTF?

A year ago undercovers infiltrated a subversive group out here. They discovered a plot whereby a police officer was to be kidnapped and tortured. The suspects, a man and woman BTW, were seen to actually drive around town scouting Metro's patrol cars looking for a victim. The decision was made to end the UC op and take the couple into custody. They were RELEASED at the preliminary hearing for "lack of evidence".

If this proves to be connected to that prior incident I will be absolutely, incandescently, Pee'd.

G

I tried Tirerack.com, just out of curiosity. Even they showed no results in a search!

Man, if Tirerack doesn't have them, nobody does!

Problem solved! But to the tune of $1,200! I went to tire rack and after 3 discussions and a visit with Michelin, I found that I could fit(just barely) +2 rims. So instead of 15" rims I now have 17" Enkie rims wrapped in a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3s. I was able to size them to almost the same specs and the originals. The real issue was the fronts. I had less than 3/4" clearance from the top of the struts. I now have a little less than 1/2" but that is enough. I was really concerned that they would look stupid with big oversized tire. I didn't want any Donk going on. Well here is what baby looks like with new shoes. What do you think!

newrims2_zpsacdf3965.jpg

Thank you Harry. I am the second owner and have had it since 2004 so I have had it for 10 of it's 21 years. I got is from a very good friend who babied it. It is getting to the point that it is a collectable, which means they are going to be harder to get parts for but I will be keeping for as long as I can.

All of the new laws to "Help" us. Just found out my wife will be loosing her job around September because of cutbacks due the the new health car law. And because our health insurance is through her employer we will loose that too. What great help!

That's terrible, Craig. Unfortunately, it's just the tip of the iceberg, and only the beginning.

If you saw the news, you know what irked me. More than irked.

I'm numb and sick to my stomach.

G

I think you summed up the feelings of all decent people in this world when such horrible things happen.

I really wonder how we sunk to such low levels some days, and no one answer- or group of answers ever leads me to what I consider a satisfactory answer.

Charlie Larkin

There are some serious sickos in this world. The scary thing is it seems like we are hearing about these things almost once a month, and they are becoming WAY too common. It seems like the more it happens, the more other wackos decide they want to "go out with a bang". Disgusting.

More and more info has been released over the last two days. While not related to the other two azzhats, these cretins were their own special kind of stupid.

Natives of the midwest they sold everything travelling to Nevada wanting to take part in the recent Bundy Ranch debacle. Well they were so "off the chain" the protestors at Bundy Ranch told them to leave. Having nowhere to go they took up residence in Vegas and devised their plan. They stockpiled guns and ammo, he was a convict, she not so much and waited for "the day".

How and why the pair picked the location they did is pure conjecture.

Sad part is others knew of the intended actions and just didn't say anything. The common consensus was that these two were so crazy it was only talk.

G

I think you summed up the feelings of all decent people in this world when such horrible things happen.

I really wonder how we sunk to such low levels some days, and no one answer- or group of answers ever leads me to what I consider a satisfactory answer.

Charlie Larkin

The answer is simple: Mental illness. And you can't legislate against mental illness. You can't make it illegal. And you can't prevent it. It's simply a fact that there will always be that handful of wackos out there. Always were, always will be. The reason that these sorts of incidents seem to be on the rise, IMO, is simply that we hear so much about them. Fifty years ago, the incident in Nevada would be a local story, not a national story. These days, with all of our instant communication, it's a worldwide story. Unlike the way it used to be, these days we hear about every single such incident.

I misspoke earlier perhaps giving the impression this could have been prevented.

It would not have.

There was no way to prevent this incident from occurring. When someone, somewhere, convinces themselves someone else has to die, and goes out to kill, it cannot be prevented.

Until the two took that all important first step toward commiting this heinous crime, nothing they did was illegal.

I agree with Harry in that our media streaming is so profound nowadays, this went worldwide before the scene was secure.

I'm done with this and will mourn privately now. Thank you all for showing support and respect for the fallen.

G

We share your grief, Wayne. Three RCMP officers were buried in New Brunswick today due to the same type of action against them.

Yeah, that was also a big story here in the states. Moncton, right?

Unfortunately, you can't prevent crazy.

Agreed. There are thousands of wackos, and most of them will live out their lives harmlessly. Can't predict which one will explode in most cases. I knew a mass murderer when we were kids. Look up George Hennard. He's the guy in Texas that drove through Luby's buffet restaurant window and killed 24, wounded another 20 before he was cornered by police and committed suicide. His family was military and he lived across the street from me in Germany. Yes, he and his brother were neighborhood trouble makers, but nothing really out of the ordinary and you never would have known this was in his future.

There's too much instant media today and it gives way to a lot of monkey see, monkey do crimes. They all want that moment of notoriety.