Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

This is what irks me, it seems as though a few are knocking the chromed and flashy big trucks, 1:1 and kits. I was gonna post this in the topic but decided this was the proper place and didnt want another topic locked out, so here it is...

Here in so cal, there are many many, blinged out, flashy, chromed whatever you wanna call it, working 10x harder than those fleet trucks. Look up any show report in so cal, 95% of the trucks at our shows are working trucks. The hay haulers, transfer dump trucks, land alls, wreckers, i can keep going, we take pride in our trucks out here, yeah our weather is better than the east coast and we can keep our trucks cleaner. Fleet trucks are fine, but theres no pride, those are for steering wheel holders, not truck drivers. I build what i want, and what i want is the big and flashy. I dont see any reason for me to want or like to build "fleet" trucks. Im not knocking those who want to build fleet trucks or well worn, thats fine, the work those who do build that way is amazing. Not for me, just dont try to down play the chrome and flashy with it being beginner, or toyish.

This is what irks me, it seems as though a few are knocking the chromed and flashy big trucks, 1:1 and kits. I was gonna post this in the topic but decided this was the proper place and didnt want another topic locked out, so here it is...

Here in so cal, there are many many, blinged out, flashy, chromed whatever you wanna call it, working 10x harder than those fleet trucks. Look up any show report in so cal, 95% of the trucks at our shows are working trucks. The hay haulers, transfer dump trucks, land alls, wreckers, i can keep going, we take pride in our trucks out here, yeah our weather is better than the east coast and we can keep our trucks cleaner. Fleet trucks are fine, but theres no pride, those are for steering wheel holders, not truck drivers. I build what i want, and what i want is the big and flashy. I dont see any reason for me to want or like to build "fleet" trucks. Im not knocking those who want to build fleet trucks or well worn, thats fine, the work those who do build that way is amazing. Not for me, just dont try to down play the chrome and flashy with it being beginner, or toyish.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There are many O/O's in the east that have dressed up trucks. Check out pics from truck shows in the East. It's unfortunate that some people have to think that their style of modeling is the only way.

Clay, someone's ALWAYS gonna knock one thing or another as it's a given. As far as trucks go, I used to build model trucks (big rigs) in the 70's and even subscribed to Overdrive Magazine to get a better insight to the truckin' industry. Yes, all that chrome and lights on a big rig is cool to me and shows pride of ownership, just like a guy adding different wheels, exhaust, engine dress up or modifications to his daily driver or collector car.

So relax and enjoy the trucks, as there will always be someone bashing this or that.

Many years ago a buddy-0-mine who builds big rigs did a purple tractor. The judge at a show told him it didn't place since nobody had a purple big rig. The next few weeks I could not count how many purple trucks we saw on the road!

There are companies that take great pride in their fleet. Steelcase office furniture for one. Clean trucks with chrome, they see it as an extension of who they are as a company. Only makes sense since trucks are rolling billboards.

There is Izzi moving / rigging company in New Jersey. They used to do work for me. All of their trucks big Petes with chrome, waxed and polished, and they bring them out to truck shows. Their corporate culture is that you care after your truck, and they have fun events for their staff around that. Click on their home page here, there is a slide show of their trucks... http://www.izzirigging.com/home2.nxg

There are companies that take great pride in their fleet. Steelcase office furniture for one. Clean trucks with chrome, they see it as an extension of who they are as a company. Only makes sense since trucks are rolling billboards.

Steelcase has their own chrome plating shop. Not only that, the drivers get "their tractor" along with summer & winter clothed with names embroidered on shirts & jackets. They get everything supplied to them except underwear, socks, and shoes. There used to be an extremely long waiting list to get hired as a Steelcase driver.

The company i recently quit, had nice equipment, the old man would pay for just about whatever you wanted to do it. But that didnt make up for the small pay checks, my family nor i can eat the truck. I had it lookin awesome, winning trophies at shows, but the new job is less hours, more money, and the truck runs well, looks like a rough dump truck but the paycheck makes up for that.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Why the heck don't people go when the light turns green ? I know you may want to make sure cross traffic will stop ( don't always ) but several times today I was a few cars back and didn't make the light because someone up front was picking his nose or something. Where several cars could go only 3 or 4 got through to someone napping or whatever. Getting so I hate driving in this town. Doesn't this happen to you fellows ?

Why the heck don't people go when the light turns green ? I know you may want to make sure cross traffic will stop ( don't always ) but several times today I was a few cars back and didn't make the light because someone up front was picking his nose or something. Where several cars could go only 3 or 4 got through to someone napping or whatever. Getting so I hate driving in this town. Doesn't this happen to you fellows ?

What usually happens to me is I'll be sitting in the left turn lane, maybe 3-4 cars back... waiting for the arrow. The arrow comes on, and person 1 in line is asleep at the wheel (or texting or shaving or putting on mascara or whatever clueless wonders do behind the wheel)... the horns start honking, clueless wonder finally wakes up and makes the turn, so do cars two and three... guess when the turn arrow goes red?

Yup... me... :rolleyes:

My school schedule makes me go from the cafeteria, to my locker, and walk down a 1/4 mile hallway to get to spanish in four minutes. It takes me all of the time to do that. And I walk fast... And I'm not joking when I say a quarter mile hallway, it is literally a quarter mile.

Where several cars could go only 3 or 4 got through to someone napping or whatever. Getting so I hate driving in this town. Doesn't this happen to you fellows ?

All the time. Some moron's gotta be connected every second of every waking minute, doncha know.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My school schedule makes me go from the cafeteria, to my locker, and walk down a 1/4 mile hallway to get to spanish in four minutes. It takes me all of the time to do that. And I walk fast... And I'm not joking when I say a quarter mile hallway, it is literally a quarter mile.

My HS was five stories tall. FIVE. It was freaking HUGE. Probably the biggest HS, both physically and as far as number of students, in all of Chicago...and we also has four minutes between classes. You really had to plan your day... depending on where the two classes were, no way could you go from class A to your locker to Class B in four minutes. Impossible.

... the horns start honking, clueless wonder finally wakes up and makes the turn, so do cars two and three... guess when the turn arrow goes red?

Hey man, the horn-honking IMPATIENT JERKS who actually need to get somewhere are in the wrong !!!

Life should always stop and accommodate bozos.

My HS was five stories tall. FIVE. It was freaking HUGE. Probably the biggest HS, both physically and as far as number of students, in all of Chicago...and we also has four minutes between classes. You really had to plan your day... depending on where the two classes were, no way could you go from class A to your locker to Class B in four minutes. Impossible.

And you had to walk up stairs both ways!....... didn't you Harry!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I feel like doing that sometimes in traffic, smashing some jack offs phone. Another driver and i came up with a good idea, have truck drivers carry paint ball guns, "mark" cars that drivers are putting makeup on, on cell phones, reading the paper, typing on a laptop, or all 3 of those last 1s, yes ive seen multiple times. Then we can call highway patrol and tell them to look for cars with the "mark"