Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

Seems to me that many of the posts here are not differentiating between the desires of car modelers and the potential uses of this technology by the general public -- the people who will make this take off for all of us.

Yes skip, that's exactly the point. As the technology becomes more mainstream the benefits to modelers will be a part of the mix.

Imagine modelers of 1955 discussing the merits and shortcomings of styrene injection molding, and how it would change the modelers' world in times to come. Plastic modeling by hobbyists was hardly the driving force behind the development of injection molding, and hobbyist applications will never be the driving force behind 3D printing tech...but we'll be among the beneficiaries.

I thought I remembered at one time seeing some one who was working on making new model parts on a 3d printer for resale. Is there anyone out there that does this. Some parts for my future build are available in the smaller scale, but not the larger scale. So interested in finding some one to talk to if there is any one. Thanks

I know allot of guys who draw and have printed.... but its not cheap.

I just had a really nice set of wheels made up and to have them drawn, and printed im into 4 scale 20" wheels for $100.00 ( and that's cheap..... most guys charge allot more for design time etc. )

Bill ( ace garage guy ) Pico told me the name of the open source software he uses for design.. I can't remember what it's called, do you know off hand what it is ? $100 is highway robbery ...

to DESIGN and have printed a 1 off set of wheels? you must be completely out of touch with the cost of things. printing alone on a set of wheels is around $25 + so factor in design time......now having had 15 or so sets of wheels printed, as well as numerous other parts I am fairly familiar with the costs involved, versus hearsay.

Edited by mademan

Scanning can be done but that in itself is expensive as the scanners are very costly. Google( if your ever interested in learning software that will make the design) has free software, I have played with it and its fairly easy to use. Its called sketch up and its free to download.

I know you want something scanned but you may be able to draw it up in sketchup and have shapeways print it a lot cheaper than some service that will be willing to scan it.

to DESIGN and have printed a 1 off set of wheels? you must be completely out of touch with the cost of things. printing alone on a set of wheels is around $25 + so factor in design time......now having had 15 or so sets of wheels printed, as well as numerous other parts I am fairly familiar with the costs involved, versus hearsay.

Yes, I'm completely out of touch ..LOL

Bill ( ace garage guy ) Pico told me the name of the open source software he uses for design.. I can't remember what it's called, do you know off hand what it is ?

I have links to all of his sources and links to design tutorials he's posted at his own considerable cost in time and effort, but I'm really getting tired of posting correct information and having it ignored or disputed endlessly. I'll post the links and resources if there's any REAL interest. I've posted it ALL before. I posted the link to Shapeways, who does Pico's printing, above. It seems to have been ignored already.

As far as the cost of doing the design work, it requires a skillset that takes time to develop, and time to implement. I don't think $100 is out of line...it's cheap even...and though it can be learned by an individual using Pico's links and techniques, it's rather like plumbing in that, if you don't bother to learn how to do it yourself and elect to pay someone else, it CAN get very expensive. Plumbers and CAD-workers have to pay for food and shelter too, and need to be compensated for their work / time.

I'm kinda doubtful that pointing a $400 scanner at an object and getting usable data out of it for making accurate models is gonna happen, but I'm kinda out of touch too apparently.

I'm kinda doubtful that pointing a $400 scanner at an object and getting usable data out of it for making accurate models is gonna happen, but I'm kinda out of touch too apparently.

LOL, well said Bill. I'm getting kind of tired of people telling me what I know and don't know .. What I DO know is Pico had those amazing wire wheels done for $55.. straight from his mouth..

I'm nit sure where this it's headed. I saw the link and did a search. Shape ways was one of the two that I found. I will bee contacting them. In the process of all of this I have joined a 3d printing forum to get more information as well. According to what I have seen there so far, the hand held are very good. Apparently there is two small table top versions for Grand and a half and the other one much more. Several hand held from 400 to two grand. I did not start this thread for people to start arguing with each other. I wanted some info. I git dime. The car looks great. I'm very interested. I do swear there was a modeling company that was doing it for mostly larger scale parts. But can not find then. Perhaps they defunct because of lack of sales? I see a good use for it. I think that ultimately the cost per piece would be cheaper than having a caster to do. Especially if looking at getting many small scale hit rod parts or rare show rod parts duplicated into large scale. However at this time I'm not in position or mood to try it from scratch just for the hobby. I also doubt any one can start making money quickly with it to refund the large initial cost. Very interesting however. So I will go check out the two printer services and see where it goes. Unless of course some one does have information on the modeling supplier, I doubt I can get much more information from this now and don't desire to see people get into a peeing match. Thanks to all who did give me good information. It is appreciated.

TDR, who have printed some 1/8 scale bodies and engines, also do smaller scale work like this 1/24 Jag. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scale-Short-Nosed-Jaguar-D-Type-Model-Car-Body-/300885109780?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item460e266c14

They print from in-house design work and accept custom orders.

http://www.tdrcatalog.com/servlet/Service

The Golden Sub body was printed by Shapeways for about $35, including shipping, if I remember correctly what Pico told me.

The guy has been on the forefront of developing this tech for modelers, knows whereof he speaks (from actual experience, unlike a lot of folks) and is a member of my club...who I see and interact with frequently.

Again, I have much information available to anyone who is interested. I have no intention of arguing, and the technology is changing too fast for me to stay ahead of the curve...so what I have may already be out of date. Still, it works, as Pico's models prove.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portable 3D scanners are currently claiming accuracy to around .002", output is most likely in mesh format and will most likely have to be converted to STL for printing.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is an encryption tool for hiding (possibly) copyrighted or pirated designs, or for keeping original work safe from easy piracy

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20131104-free-3d-printing-encryption-tool-for-your-stl-mesh-files.html

I don't think point-scan-print is quite here yet. i could be wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pico Elgin has been developing his models in Sketchup.

http://curriculum.makerbot.com/daily_tutorial/sketchup/sketchup_stl.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm nit sure where this it's headed.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) you are still looking for a scanning source, not for more printing sources. I've seen very little discussion here about 3D scanning, so let us know what you find out, please.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) you are still looking for a scanning source, not for more printing sources. I've seen very little discussion here about 3D scanning, so let us know what you find out, please.

eeerrrr the topic isn't scanning , it's printing ...

Professional hardware with .001" approximate accuracy is in the $25K range.

http://www.creaform3d.com/lp/template1/3d-scanners/en/usa.php?gclid=CNHExqvb9LoCFTEV7Aodw14ABw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there's "the worlds's first under $1K scanner" project...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45699157/fuel3d-a-handheld-3d-scanner-for-less-than-1000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Services are just a google search away...

http://www.3dscanservices.com/

Sample prices:

http://www.3dscanservices.com/samples2.aspx

Edited by Ace-Garageguy