Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

There is an app for iPhones (maybe others) that takes a picture (or a series of pictures, as you move around object), converts it to 3D and allows you to print out the object. The example I saw was pretty rough, not quite crude, but still had a ways to go. But...think of the future possibilities?

There is an app for iPhones (maybe others) that takes a picture (or a series of pictures, as you move around object), converts it to 3D and allows you to print out the object. The example I saw was pretty rough, not quite crude, but still had a ways to go. But...think of the future possibilities?

Entirely possible in the foreseeable future, but the amount of numerical processing 'crunch' in an iPhone size device, necessary to produce accurate 3D data from a non-stationary low-resolution scanning instrument, is still probably an order of magnitude away.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yes, the topic is idealisticly for printing. However from a scanned object. I search for 3d scanning, did not think to put in services. Doh. Searches are great as long as you use the right terminology. Lol. Thank you very much. Looks like they may even be able to do the whole process. Thank you.

Side Bar : I hope that as the technology grows and improves (espcially vis-a-vie applications in the medical field) , that like practically everything , the prices / costs / initial-investment costs , will drop signifigantly .

Begs the question ; how well will 3D Printing grow into the realm of "1:1" reproduction parts ? Especially for one-off items (think : door panels , sun visors , steering wheels ( in pieces , as metal reinforcement is ostensibly necessary !) , and other unique pieces) .

Edited by 1972coronet

I try to keep up with this stuff as my time permits. The capability today is astounding if you follow the medical and industrial applications, and it's only going to get better (finer resolution, more versatile and robust materials, quicker throughput time, etc).

Producing functioning human biological replacement parts, printed from a patient's own cultured cells (so there's no risk of tissue rejection) is already a reality at the prototype level. A beating 2-chambered mouse heart has been printed. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/29/health-3d-printing-organ-transplant/2370079/

Terminator-style human structural parts (laser-sintered 3D printed metal bones) are already reality. A badly disfigured Belgian woman received an entire 3D metal-printed jawbone.http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57372095-76/3d-printer-produces-new-jaw-for-woman/

DOD is funding human burn-treatment, on-site, replacement skin printing (right on the patient). http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/wake-forest-3d-prints-skin-cells-burn-wounds

Machine parts with complex internal shapes and webbing, that simply could NOT be made previously with ANY fabrication method, are reality.

"Additive manufacturing renders irrelevant the problem of getting a tool into a tight internal nook or cranny. Because 3-D printers build by setting down material as they go, a printed object can have delicate lacelike features or strange curving parts, like the antlers on a model deer head recently printed by one of Pearce’s students.

In some cases, separate printed parts are pieced together. But 3-D printing can also create objects with multiple moving parts in one fell swoop. Take something as seemingly basic as an adjustable wrench. By leaving gaps in the right places, a printer head sweeping back and forth can print, in place, the threaded knob that opens and closes the wrench." (Taken from Science News, March 9, 2013, under "fair use" definition in copyright law)

The horizon looks good for composite parts (not fiberglass, but ceramic and plastic parts with integral metal or other reinforcements).

The human imagination is really the only limit to what this tech can do.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I try to keep up with this stuff as my time permits. The capability today is astounding if you follow the medical and industrial applications, and it's only going to get better (finer resolution, more versatile and robust materials, quicker throughput time, etc).

Producing functioning human biological replacement parts, printed from a patient's own cultured cells (so there's no risk of tissue rejection) is already a reality at the prototype level. A beating 2-chambered mouse heart has been printed. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/29/health-3d-printing-organ-transplant/2370079/

Terminator-style human structural parts (laser-sintered 3D printed metal bones) are already reality. A badly disfigured Belgian woman received an entire 3D metal-printed jawbone.http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57372095-76/3d-printer-produces-new-jaw-for-woman/

DOD is funding human burn-treatment, on-site, replacement skin printing (right on the patient). http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/wake-forest-3d-prints-skin-cells-burn-wounds

Machine parts with complex internal shapes and webbing, that simply could NOT be made previously with ANY fabrication method, are reality.

"Additive manufacturing renders irrelevant the problem of getting a tool into a tight internal nook or cranny. Because 3-D printers build by setting down material as they go, a printed object can have delicate lacelike features or strange curving parts, like the antlers on a model deer head recently printed by one of Pearce’s students.

In some cases, separate printed parts are pieced together. But 3-D printing can also create objects with multiple moving parts in one fell swoop. Take something as seemingly basic as an adjustable wrench. By leaving gaps in the right places, a printer head sweeping back and forth can print, in place, the threaded knob that opens and closes the wrench." (Taken from Science News, March 9, 2013, under "fair use" definition in copyright law)

The horizon looks good for composite parts (not fiberglass, but ceramic and plastic parts with integral metal or other reinforcements).

The human imagination is really the only limit to what this tech can do.

Thanks for the info and the links , Ace !

There's obviously a lot of potential with these 3D Printers ! I must admit ; the first time I heard my cousin mention "3-D printing" , I thought that he had consumed a few too many Ales ( :D ) , and I'd equated the concept with a Graphic Relief Map .

Then he showed me a "printed piece" .

I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around the , in es ., "something from nothing" aspect !

I understand this thread is more geared toward having someone print a design as a service and secondarily about scanning. But I have a major 3D scanning concern in relation. In my shallow, narrow-minded brain, something just tells me that a hand-held 3D scanner would have to have an absolute ton of damping in order to get a quality and consistant scan. Someone mentioned the iPhone app earlier which strengthens my concern. Look at the iPhone panoramic feature. If you move up or down the slightest bit, you get a warped picture. I can't help but think the same would happen to a part printed after being scanned with a hand held scanner.

Edited by Skydime

You're absolutely correct, Ken.

That's where the necessity for a whole LOT more computing power comes in (much more than is currently in an iPhone size device) to track and calculate and constantly, instantaneously compensate for all of the jiggle.

There is already digital image-stabilizing software available for some applications, but to package that power in an affordable iPhone sized device for consumers, and to achieve accuracy for 3D scanning of small model parts, where EXTREME accuracy is absolutely necessary to get worthwhile numerical output data (not just a picture), while jiggling...well, let's just say it's in the future.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There is digital imagining stabilizing for 3d hand held asking with real time auto positioning. I was reading about that yesterday. The scanner cost is out of a serious hobby user, but it it's there. So eventually it will trickle down to us. Imagine taking a disassembled motor and scanning it then printing it out. Not just a common motor, but rare ones to. I think for cost to get into it, the concern would seriously need to be more on the scanner then the printer. I see the possibilities. I want to grab them. But alas not cheap enough yet. Think of being able to make solid mold fir resin casting that would be cheaper to make. More detailed and last longer. Not too mention cheaper to make and led time with less chance of a bad mold. Very interesting indeed.

MakerBot 3D desktop scanner article, November 19, 2013

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/category/scanner/3d-scanning/

This is available now, but it's pretty much useless for picking up detail from objects smaller than 2"X2", and won't register surface details smaller than 500 microns (1/2mm...which is 1/2 inch, roughly, in 1/24-1/25 scale).

We're still a long way from point-scan-print with an affordable, hand-held device.

Still, a "long way" is a very relative term at the pace technology is improving. We COULD be there this year or next...or within 5.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Sorry, being in my phone, I can not share links. However this morning I was reading a article where they have already printed scallops, celery, cheese and a hamburger. Nasa has hired a individual to create a printer that will make pizza. He has already been successful at printing the crust. Beam me up Scotty I want some fresh pizza :-) they can also print things in chocolate and wood. I am getting so amazed at all of this.

After much searching, I have found what appears to be a very competitive printer with a amazing bed size of 12 x 16 x 10. Can supposedly out preform the maker bot. Cost is under a grand. I have also found a 3d object refiner that eliminates the need for any Samsung of three object for $300. To cut production costs, I have found a filament extruder also for under $300. This saves from having to buy a pound of filament for around $50. You can buy the beads for a few bucks and make your own. The hardest thing was searching scanner. That is finding one that is fairly accurate and affordable. A table top portable unit with a turn table that will scan anything smaller than 7" long by 9"high. The accuracy Is .43 mm. That is 25/64 if a inch in 1/1 scale. Also get about $600. So a total cost of $2100. I think for some one wanting to get into it as a small side business, that is not a bad figure. Maybe time for to to start collecting pop cans. Goal is spring. Lol. Yes day dreaming again. Oh the possibilities though.

You should search Jay Leno You Tube videos where he shows unobtainable car parts created and a video where he is with a company rep that hand scans a crescent wrench. The wrench gets printed and the thumb wheel turns to open and close the jaws. Pretty amazing stuff

MUST-SEE TV FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THIS SUBJECT.

Acknowledging that home 3D printing is a growing force, today's episode of the Katie Couric show (ABC, Monday, Dec. 2) began with an opening segment about 3D printing. A rep for MakerBot showed some of its uses. Then an amazing story about a father whose son was born without a hand; he found a program online that allowed him to make a working, articulated, prosthetic hand for his son; then a cautionary tale about the ability to make guns (over 100,000 downloads so far). Look around on this link for access to the show...

http://katiecouric.com/2013/12/02/how-3d-printers-are-changing-our-lives-ed-burns/

This is wonderful. Just like the cancer patient that received half of a new face. What does it have to do with the model community? Specifically, the model car community? Nothing. Not until people become involved.

It has everything to do with the model car community and everybody else. With features like this on that show, we can see more and more people become involved, very quickly. As the technology becomes more adopted throughout the culture, it certainly benefits us by raising the level of technology and bringing down the cost.

I know personally I am interested in being able to use it for modeling. I can see using it for 1/8 scale. However I do not see it usable for 1/25 yet. My curiosity is tough if one could scan 1/25 and print in 1/8. However looking at the fine print on the consumer level scanners, I don't think that is achievable yet. In a commercial grade, I think there is one now that could, and is hand held with real time positioning. Which eliminates the need for any driving scans together. So the technology is evolving. Hopefully within say the next two years as general interest in these technologies grows in leaps and bounds it will drive the home create into creating consumer level pieces useable for our hobby.

I am in the early stages of drawing up the files for a 1935 LaSalle and printing them out on my printer. Printing in 1:25 is no problem if you know what you are doing and how to make it happen. Strada just released it's 3d photo software in June of this year. All you need is a camera and the software. This way of making a 3d file has been around for a few years, but I've never seen a program that works as well as this one appears to.

It might just be something you could use, plus there is a free 30 day trial period. Here's the link. http://www.strata.com/products/strata_3d_cx_suite/strata_foto_3d_cx/

Bodies perhaps, but what about engine pays in 1/25 like finned valve covers our disc brakes? I'm really wanting to see some of these parts printed out in any scale before I really budget for a set up. Don't want to spring two grand for no reason yet. I will check out that link. Thanks

I haven't printed a body yet. Here is a pic of a front suspension piece I've done. The largest is 29 mm and the smallest is 10 mm and both have the same level of detail. Only the largest has had the support material cleaned up. Filament is not $50 a pound. I pay $37.95 shipped from a good U.S. manufacturer for a spool. Spool are standard 1 kilo or 2.3+ pounds. Oh, the 10 mm piece is 1:25th.

post-3408-0-59915900-1386181179_thumb.jp

youll may have seen this before:

3D Printing Store Opens in Baltimore for the Holidays

http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/3d-printing-store-opens-baltimore-for-holidays

another one back in june

http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/evanston-illinois-gets-3d-printing-retail-outlet

Edited by Darren B