Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing growing as we speak

The Objet printers (and a couple others) will produce well-nigh injection-molded quality parts. I mean, hey, they small one is thirty grand, but, whatever...:lol:

Seriously, another few years and this is going to be something beyond incredible. Once the details and materials are completely sorted, we could have something truly marvelous.

Charlie Larkin

hmmm, 3D printers seem to be the new 'mini lathe' of the day...

true statement, except you can make more than just round parts, but I know what you mean. One thing thou is the learning curve of the software if you want to make your own parts and not download a file to work with, played around with the free google software and Ill need to learn a lot to make something like a complete engine..........

And that thread is almost a year old and, as far as I can tell, the flathead is still not available (at least not from tdr).

edit: Available in sub assemblies on the Shapeways website.

Edited by Deano

This is the evolutionary step that will forever get rid of mold lines.

What about the layer lines/"steps"? Show me a 3D printed part which has a perfectly flat, smooth surface. You can't. 3D printing by it's very nature does not allow for the same type of parts as one finds in an injection molded kit.

We've been discussing 3D printing here on the forum for at least three years, and despite claims of it being "already here, who here has the ability to print anything via a 3D printer in their home?

What about the layer lines/"steps"? Show me a 3D printed part which has a perfectly flat, smooth surface. You can't. 3D printing by it's very nature does not allow for the same type of parts as one finds in an injection molded kit.

I'm sure that's something that will be worked out very soon as quickly as this technology advances. Seems like in the past few months, the applications have been growing in leaps and bounds. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if 3d printing issues were all resolved within the next six months to year.

Edited by Skydime

I'm sure that's something that will be worked out very soon as quickly as this technology advances.

I'm not so sure. Every time the topic is brought up, we get the people who say "it's here, NOW!", and other who continue to say "it's almost here", but you can keep saying that for years. Eventually, you'll probably be right, but that doesn't mean it's available to the average consumer at an affordable price right now. What's affordable? I guess that varies for each of use, but let's say $250 for the printer and $60 for the print media, so roughly $300 for the printer related stuff, and I haven't even mentioned the program, downloadable files, etc.

It's not here yet for the average consumer, and I don't think it will be for another five years at least. I don't think it'll ever replace nor even dominate traditional injection molding, either.

I don't think it'll ever replace nor even dominate traditional injection molding, either.

Wanna bet?

You sound like the blacksmith who's watching one of those newfangled "horseless carriages" sputter past his shop, while he's thinking "that contraption will never replace a good horse!" ;)

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if 3d printing issues were all resolved within the next six months to year.

That's my point- the technology isn't progressing as quickly as some would have you believe. I bet I can find a thread on the forum from two years ago which contained the same prediction. Nobody can put a hard date on when the technology will be available and affordable to the average consumer, I understand that, but anyone can keep saying "it's almost" here year after year, and eventually you'll probably be right...but it still isn't available and affordable to the mass consumer now.

Wanna bet?

You sound like the blacksmith who's watching one of those newfangled "horseless carriages" sputter past his shop, while he's thinking "that contraption will never replace a good horse!" ;)

No, I'm not denying it's going to have a major effect, but I see it as more of a companion to rather than a replacement for injection molding. Plus, I don't see it happening as quickly as you. I'd love to be proven wrong, and it doesn't matter to me personally if my feelings are right or wrong, because it's pretty clear 3D printing will benefit us all....whenever it finally gets here. :P:lol:;)

...but it still isn't available and affordable to the mass consumer now.

New technology is usually expensive when it first comes out. VCRs were very expensive at first, but by the time DVR technology came along, a VCR could be had for less than $100. Flat-screen TVs were very expensive at first, now they sell for mainstream prices.

3-D printing is at that initial stage... it's here. It exists. It's being used in business and industry. But the prices haven't dropped to "friendly consumer levels" yet. But it will, it's inevitable. Once a new technology is developed and it works, it's only a matter of time before it filters down to the mass market.

You're correct that nobody can accurately give us a specific date... but it's coming, no doubt. My guess is within the next 10 years a 3-D printer will be as common in the average home as a microwave oven.

I'm not so sure. Every time the topic is brought up, we get the people who say "it's here, NOW!", and other who continue to say "it's almost here", but you can keep saying that for years. Eventually, you'll probably be right, but that doesn't mean it's available to the average consumer at an affordable price right now. What's affordable? I guess that varies for each of use, but let's say $250 for the printer and $60 for the print media, so roughly $300 for the printer related stuff, and I haven't even mentioned the program, downloadable files, etc.

It's not here yet for the average consumer, and I don't think it will be for another five years at least. I don't think it'll ever replace nor even dominate traditional injection molding, either.

Flathead.jpg

Yeah, I agree with affordability being an issue. But like most technology, the price will eventually come down. It may take quite a while but, it will. And let's be honest here, everyone doesn't exactly have the required knowledge to use the technology either.

But there are, however, strategic people and companies that are interested in the industry who can make things happen. It just honestly amazes me when I see organizations like NASA embracing the technology and the benefits it can provide. The acceptance and interest in the technology is what makes me think that someone will soon be able to resolve the issues with the quality.

Wil they soon or ever "replace" injection molded kits? Probably not. But once it becomes more "commonplace" I do see people designing prototypes, "printing" them off, smoothing them out, and using them for resin casting semi frequently.

Edited by Skydime

Even though an affordable home printer may be just around the corner, I think it will take much longer than might be assumed for meaningful mass market penetration. Demand will drive what happens, and I don't see this tool as important to consumers as a microwave oven, or like the evolution of home computer systems.

There's still the challenge of software availability and price, plus the learning curve to master creating your own designs. I know Shapeways offers certain free programs, but I wonder how many hobbyists are even using those now. Scanners will also have to get much cheaper (don't some printers come with built-in 3D scanners?).

I just see the market for a home version as specialized and narrow, which will probably appeal mostly to some types of businesses, certain hobbyists and those who have well-equipped home workshops, and not as a mass market product. This product will never achieve "must-have" importance for everyday consumers any more than a lathe or CNC router.

Edited by sjordan2

I'd argue that 3D printing is "here" and available for general use among hobbyists in no different manner than destop publishing is here. Destop publishing will never replace mass-publishing by traditional printing presses, but the average citizen with a computer can print up rudimentary "lost pet" flyers with photos and clipart graphics, or they can go full tilt and publish a model car magazine like Roy Sorenson does. Or they can design their own decals from scratch, perfectly replicate old sheets and resize them as needed, or do artwork for photoetch parts.

But the barriers are learning the software, and finding service providers to complete the work, and having the money for all of that. It's all a matter of how involved each person wants to get. In the case of both publishing and 3D printing, the technologies were totally out of the reach of the average citizen.

Check out this short tutorial on what looks like a simplistic drawing program, and you get an idea of how a person can create a part that injection molders will never be able to justify making, due to their own barriers of low-volume / niche market problems. Then rummage around in YouTube for other tutorials on how to draw 3D cars and the parts on them. I can hardly wait 'til the time I can take the total plunge into this myself.