Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari Daytona

peekay

I've actually been working on this one on and off for several years and now it has reached the one-step-forward-two-steps-back stage, as my models all do as they approach the finishing line. I am currently grappling with plumbing but it's never going to be highly accurate. Ferrari conoscenti should look away, it's done in the impressionist style.

75c4babe-6872-4b82-88d7-b3b4fa44fc8d_zps

Here's a mock-up - I might yet lower it slightly and I'll cut the door glass out...

6e2ba646-91c4-4cfa-9626-4f52dc7ad4f8_zps

to show the interior better...

ea4133bb-e39a-47b7-b022-c5ef7d9be1a7_zps

But I've now reached an impass; I've lost the left-side (passenger) turning light! Here is the right side (this has been painted, it's clear in the kit):

28618eba-9c77-4858-a54d-7f1ae3885fe2_zps

I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone used the engine in a hot-rod (!) or something and doesn't need this part. I would actually need both sides so they match after paint detail.

If so, I would trade all the RC2 Parts Pack tyres in this photo:

18aecce5-0e56-454b-af72-83d9dca0348a_zps

If not I guess I'll have to buy another whole kit. More soon.

Edited by peekay

Carl, glad I'm not the only one!

Jeff, it's a complex curvature and outline, beyond my skills, plus it has embossed detail - and - and what was the other thing?... oh yes, I can't be bothered.

Mark, yes, writing to Fujimi is on my list of solutions - thought this way might be quicker.

Bill, yes the headers are two-piece and a struggle. I didn't get it quite right but it only shows from underneath.

And Curtis, thanks, I'm pressing on regardless.

Heck yeah, if you can get it here, that is great. I was just thinking Fujimi vs buying another kit as you mentioned. I have never attempted to obtain replacement parts from them, so I did not even know if they did it or not. I have heard tho, that due to language barriers, you may have actually write Hobbylink Japan. Good luck!

Mark, yes, writing to Fujimi is on my list of solutions - thought this way might be quicker.

I've actually been working on this one on and off for several years and now it has reached the one-step-forward-two-steps-back stage, as my models all do as they approach the finishing line. I am currently grappling with plumbing but it's never going to be highly accurate. Ferrari conoscenti should look away, it's done in the impressionist style.

75c4babe-6872-4b82-88d7-b3b4fa44fc8d_zps

I'm not knowledgeable enough about Ferraris to be counted among the cognoscenti but I'm curious as to where you think you've deviated from the 1:1 car on this build.

If you're going to claim this is being built in the impressionist style, I say show me the Monet! :P

BVC500, I've got my fingers crossed.

Mark, I've successfully requested replacement parts from all the major producers over the years but it does take time from Japan - and I'm impatient to finish this one. "Progress" today involved spilling a bottle of Humbrol black and the aftermath. But did I get upset?

YES!

Monty, the main deviation here is that the spark wires don't quite reach the distributors, the result of a stupid miscalculation. But, as Frank Zappa once said, "without deviation there can be no progress". And I suppose I meant impressionism as opposed to photo-realism.

BTW I didn't mis-spell "cognoscenti", I wrote it in Italian, without the "g".

(There should be a smiley or two in here but I can't access the emoticons.)

Edited by peekay

That's a fine job done there on the Daytona Peter. Its looking amazing! I built the Spyder version about 15 years ago and I remember it being an amazing kit - one of the best I've ever seen.

I have bought a spare one of these kits because I needed the a second convertible top. It sounds like you've already got a pair of indicators on the way to you, but if things don't work out just let me know your address and I can send you a pair.

Look forward to seeing this one finished.

Sonny, thanks so much but it looks like I'll have the indicators soon. I'll keep your generous offer in mind though.

Yes, it's an amazing kit alright but it's taking me an age to get it done - I'm more of a Johan/AMT builder otherwise. I'm at the stage now where for every part I attach, another falls off. I'm also looking forward to seeing this one finished!

b847fd2e-4a6e-41ce-aee4-2e6dfaa75983_zps

It's taken much longer than I anticipated to get to the next stage but the interior/inner fender assembly is now attached to the chassis. There were various fit problems, mainly the exhaust headers interfering with the inner fenders. I had to grind, trim and refit repeatedly, with bits falling off as I did so. They are now wrongly aligned and will not meet the exhaust pipes when they go on but I'm calling it done. (I've seen other builders on the net get this right so it's me, not Fujimi.)

I attached the assemblys with wire rather than glue, in case I have to pull it apart again, but also to help lower the front a bit.

1aba1d7f-f8ff-4d53-a237-a016ea2a225a_zps

2921dc27-1410-412e-9d28-573cd587aae8_zps

The glass in the kit is one piece but didn't offer a clear view of the interior so I cut out the door windows, seperating back from front. I then did something stupid - I used 2 part epoxy and must have inadvertently mixed part A with part A, instead of B. Anyway, it never set and it was quite difficult to save the situation. I then attached the rear piece with double-sided and normal cellotape. I've done this before and it works quite well but you need quality, clear tape - I use Scotch Crystal. You might have noticed that the interior is also held together with this tape. This allows for some flex while attaching the body and is removeable if necessary.

51e41fb8-de6e-4de7-9e3f-d55f2247332b_zps

Did some other detailing: BMF matt under the hood and aliminium exhaust tips. The blue tape stripe on the headlight glass will be painted to match the body - luckily Humbrol has a metallic colour which will only need minimal adjustment to match the Sikkens lacquer.

a20cd435-8eb1-4a8c-b474-05c086233751_zps

690a3d1b-7fbf-48ca-a14f-d2c3dd2f09ad_zps

Next up is detailing and attaching the body - if all goes according to plan, which, of course, it never does.

Peter, if you're using the plexiglass front end for the Daytona, the turn indicators should only be painted half amber, not full amber like in your previous photo. Google "Daytona plexiglass front" to see what I mean.

Thanks Bernard, but it looks to me like you could do either - different years or international regulations maybe? Given the choice I prefer the whole piece amber, works more harmoniously with the fender.

In fact you'll hardly find two identical cars and the kit includes a couple of rear lighting variants too (as you already know, I'm sure).

A couple of years ago I saw a PURPLE Daytona on a Zürich Autobahn!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

4927446a-63ba-495e-9491-ff1b92c70da4_zps

Got the rear done - except for the Ferrari script lifting, which is an easy fix. This and the "cavallino rampante" badge are chrome decals from China (Global Toy on Ebay). Reasonably priced, easy to use and very realistic.

af3d9da1-984b-4dd0-8648-5897ba5a6476_zps

Still some exterior detail to add but I'm sure I can wrap this one up in the next day or two so the next pics will be in Under Glass.