Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Great Gatsby" the movie and the Cars.

Real cars or fakes?

Yes?!

I thought that the chase sceens were computer generated and many of the sounds came straight from Jay Leno's collection! I've also read that the chase between the Yellow Deusy and the Buick cop car has one glaring inaccuracy.........the "Buick" is a '30 :P

wow, that Auburn looks kinda small in that photo, I know Duesey's are big but I thought Auburns weren't THAT small.

it's a movie about spectacle...and that's what it delivers. :)

Auburn 851's are large cars, but interior space is limited to say the least. The Auburn in that picture doesn't look quite right to me, the grille and fenders don't have the right shape, I'm guessing that it is a replica.

I've been fortunate to sit in a Duesy.

I'm a pretty big (wide) guy, and I can tell you that two (2) people my size would not be comfortable sitting side-by-side in the car. The Duesy's are big and long, but kinda narrow. The seat sure was comfortable, though. Kinda like sitting on a leather couch in your living room...

The movie was directed by Baz Luhrmann, with a contemporary soundtrack. He's known for highly stylized, anachronistic mash-ups (ever see "Moulin Rouge?")

Here's the soundtrack (no Louis Armstrong or 20s jazz to be found):

1. 100$ Bill (Jay Z)

2. Back To Black (Beyoncé x André 3000)

3. Bang Bang (will.i.am)

4. A Little Party Never Killed Nobody {All We Got} (Fergie + Q-Tip + Goonrock)

5. Young And Beautiful (Lana Del Rey)

6. Love Is The Drug (Bryan Ferry with the Bryan Ferry Orchestra)

7. Over The Love (Florence + The Machine)

8. Where The Wind Blows (Coco O. of Quadron)

9. Crazy In Love (Emeli Sandé and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra)

10. Together (The xx)

11. Hearts A Mess (Gotye)

12. Love Is Blindness (Jack White)

13. Into The Past (Nero)

14. Kill And Run (Sia)

Edited by sjordan2

The movie was directed by Baz Luhrmann, with a contemporary soundtrack. He's known for highly stylized, anachronistic mash-ups (ever see "Moulin Rouge?")

"Anachronistic mash-up?" Do we add that to the list? (Romantic comedy, action/adventure, film noir, horror, etc)? :D

Interesting read on the Gatsby cars from the NY Times. The 1929 Duesenberg in the film (actually 2) was a 1983 fiberglass replica. And, of course, the book takes place in 1922. But the article even points out that while the Rolls in the Robert Redford version would be truer to the book, it still couldn't have existed in 1922. My point of view is that we're not talking about a history movie, and many movies have the time frame shifted around for one reason or another.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/gatsby-in-a-duesenberg-more-fiction/?_r=0

Edited by sjordan2

Harry, in this new avatar it looks like the aliens are landing above your head. LOL.

I have not seen the new GREAT GATSBY, but I've always been a big fan of the original, and of course of the novel, which I normally reread once a year for class.

Great book, but it doesn't lend itself well to adaptations.

Haven't seen this film yet, but looks like it will be worth it just for the cars.

Yeah, I thought that about the ship model in Titanic.....

I remember when the old Gatsby movie with Mia Farrow came out, there was a scene with a fender bender in her white Packard. I read a mag article at the time about that car and the dented fender was a fiberglas fake. That was a good thing. I cringe when old cars get wrecked in films because the astronmical budgets films have make it possible for them to buy and destroy some very nice cars!

I think Gatsby would have been an Aston type of guy. Maybe a Maserati.

Downton Abbey has some cool old cars too - if you can sit through the people parts...

The old Masterpiece Theater Hercule Poirot detective series had some great 20s-30s classics, too. But to me, the people parts of Downton Abbey are the main draw. Cool stuff in "Mr. Selfridge," too -- including regular appearances by Harry's antique London bus.

How do such bonehead mistakes get made? Didn't they do even a basic amount of research?

I drive my wife crazy by constantly pointing out that sort of thing when we're watching TV or at the movies. ;-)

For our friends & family who are not car nuts, it's enough for them if the vehicles, clothing, or buildings just *look* correct. Drives me crazy, though...

One of my favorite movies is "Road to Perdition." In one scene you see a view of downtown Chicago looking along the Chicago River, with the bridge for the "el" crossing the river. Then you see an elevated train cross the bridge.

The problem? The elevated train has modern-day, stainless steel cars, a design that wasn't in existence in the 1930s, when the movie is supposed to be taking place. Back then the el cars were painted green.