Model Cars Magazine Forum

Panel Lines Tutorial

cruz

On 1/6/2023 at 7:04 AM, Tommy124 said:

Not sure if someone brought this up before... I used to have a challenge with creating panel lines where there were none, but should be. By coincidence, I found that there is a product called scribing tape. It has the right balance between being strong enough to guide the scribing tool steadily and being flexible enough to allow for an (intended) slight curve. Plus it has very good adhesion so it can be used a second time in most cases.

This is the stuff. It comes in several dimensions. Works great for me.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/home/5845-scribing-tape-straight-edge-5mm-x-3m--8432074082460.html

I never used that specific product, but plain old Dymo tape does great for that too:

https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-Plastic-Embossing-Labels-1741670/dp/B001XQ7ZP8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=NC76SN30WLAW&keywords=Dymo+Embossing+Tape+3%2F8"&qid=1676301769&sprefix=dymo+embossing+tape+3%2F8+%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-4

Dymo tape works fine, but only for straight or slightly curved lines, oc.  I first saw the idea in Scale Model for putting Plimsoll lines on big ship models.  Don't know it it's still available, but 55 years ago, there was an embossing machine that used aluminum tape (we used it for names on our USFS hard-hats, fighting fire) that would provide a bulletproof edge for the scribing tool.  Scribing new lines: very satisfying, if they come out perfectly -- another step toward a superior build!

I noted those scribing guides in the M.M. catalog, but typically they don't bother to include a dimension/size reference, nor do most look particularly useful for say, a 1:25 car bod.  And spendy!  Anybody use those?  

Several Japanese manufacturers make metal scribing guides with various radius curves, circles, and other shapes.

Some are specialized for specific kits (but can be used on others of course), and some are generic.

Examples below.

Tamiya 74150 Modelling Template Round 1-12.5mm

Hobby Design HD02-0151 0.1mm Scribing Template Set

They are used by securely taping them to the work piece, and gently following the desired shape with multiple passes of the appropriate scribing tool.

Tamiya 74156 Modeling Template Square 1-10mm

They're similar in appearance to the old-school draftsman's "eraser shields", which I've used for scribing as well.

*Vintage CARDINELL Stainless Steel ERASING SHIELD Montclair N.J ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

An option to black wash in your panel lines would be to mix a much darker tone of your body color and apply that to your panel lines.  When you look at a 1:1 car you aren't seeing black, unless it is the rubber gasket, you are seeing the body color in shadow.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:20 PM, bytownshaker said:

I was driving home and was following a black car and found that the trunk panels lines were darker than the paint My question is how can we represent this as you can't get darker than black.

Scribe deep and keep a sharp edge, and let the shadows do the work. I think keeping the groove thin and clean helps with the contrast between paint and shadow. Pretty much as it does on the 1:1. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2023 at 5:02 PM, JET. said:

After using many things to scribe lines, xacto blades, the Tamiya engraver tool ( which breaks so ridiculously easy.. ) 

I found this thing, and 0.2mm is the perfect size for model cars.
Hands down the Best hobby tool I bought.

https://flex-i-file.com/en-ca/products/holly-engraving-scribing-and-scraping-tools

1.jpeg.01cee4df29654bef40290abd7644e6ec.jpeg

2.jpeg.da4d7fb492bf296bc22758372a6dcec3.jpeg

Never broke my 0.2 Tamiya engraving blade, but did manage to break the 0.1. Accidentally twisted it around a corner, and the tip snapped. Also yes 0.2 is the best size.