Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 Buick Regal CHP

Chuck Most

This started out as a promo- I added the wheels and tires from a Revell Impala police car and the CHP decals and equipment from a Revell '90 Mustang notch and threw together this phantom cop car because I was sort of bored that day...

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

Still thinking of adding the spotlight, and possibly the lightbar from the Mustang as well. Any thoughts?

Nice!

Not as "phantom" as one might think. At any given time CHP has test mules all aover the state for evaluation. Sometimes they are there simply to evaluate the power train, not the entire car per se.

Sweet build.

G

Many years back, the Winfield, IL was using one or two of the 4dr Pontiac Grand Prix's from that version of the platform as well as the second generation Chrysler Concord sedans (why not the Intrepid, I have no clue), and even supposedly had a couple of the FWD Dodge Lancer Turbo Sedans. A few people who saw my Lebaron GTS (same car, different grill, tail lights, and badges) suddenly remembered those Lancers and seemed to kind of fear them too. They had been running Crown Vics last several years and just was a new Explorer with their graphics today.

That's cool! Maybe mock it up with light bar or use rear deck lights from Mustang?

The deck lights are there (they're barely visible in the rear 3/4 view). I mocked it up with the Mustang's roof bar, but didn't like it. I'm not sure if it was because I didn't like how the car looked with the lightbar or the way that particular light bar looked on the Buick... still toying with sticking it on there, though.

Great use of one of those promos. Looks like something a low-budget department would paint up as a "DARE" car for displays. Very cool. It actually looks pretty good with those tires and wheels on it. I took one and did it stock with bigger white wall tires, I'll have to remember to grab some pics of it one of these days.

I like it. Except for the color Tacoma Washington has had some of them. Of course they have a bit of everything up there, they blend in REALLY well.

Maybe some interior mounted lighting equipment instead of a lightbar? Like an unmarked car might have. They do a lot of those here in Portland where I live.