Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to do when the love is gone?

I have the same problem! I work away for 2-3 weeks at a time, and live in a tiny 8x10 room where I cannot work on models.... not to mention that I put in anywhere from 190-200 hours in the 2 weeks im here. Its really hard to get motivated sometimes. I really wanted to build last week when I was home,but all of the longterm projects were just not going as planned and I needed a change up..... so I grabbed a kit that I would NEVER, Ever normally build, a Nascar kit. no expectations, no super details, just straight out of the box, built it over the week, and by the time it was done, I had the motivation to build something better.... then left for work for 2 weeks :(

Winter is usually when I get more model stuff done anyways, all the 1:1s are put away, and just in the "Parts Gathering" stages anyways.... so I work on models.

For me I have figure out where the block came from; modeling, the hobby in general, or other life's activities and situations.

If it's modeling, in particular my modeling, I either need a bigger challenge and take one on, spice things up, or build something different. Sometimes the detailed crazy several month long builds can get a modeler down, a quick back to fun build can do the trick. Or build a different subject all together.

If it's the hobby in general, I have to get honest about what is getting under my skin or causing the apathy. It can be tough when a modeler gets really good, is regarded as a 'expert', or 'pro', by whatever definition, and what the modeler is good at is where the modeling stays. Sometimes we build a little fort around what we're willing to build and how we go about it. Start filling the 'I love me' wall with awards, get a some magazine articles under the belt, or some other involvement and burn out can follow. Get subbed by the hobby somehow, maybe a magazine, or contests and the the old ego can take a hit. I experienced a variety I just described and needed a new direction from the model subjects I was involved in. Found myself surrounded by several cars in various stages and a boat load of new stuff to learn and try out. It really saved my flame out I was heading towards.

If it's life, that opens a whole other can of something. Modeling is in the blood and will always return no matter the break or reason, time can do that to anyone.

Here's another one. Getting connected with other modelers. I and 38 Crush managed to start a monthly get together at our local hobby shop to get modelers out of the house and talk shop. No heavy duty structured club, in fact we have no name or affiliation, but for years now we have never failed to have turn out and new guys showing up. A flyer gets taped to the door and I notify everyone in email shot and all get our modeling endorphines going. Those are the best motivating bull sessions we could have. 38 Crush and I have commented on several occasions we drag ourselves to the meet, thinking we should be doing something else and end up going home all motivated to jump into a project, or continue. Nothing compares to the comaraderie and seeing others work no matter what it is.

I have to say, car modelers are the best group of people I have ever met in the modeling arena. After 30 years in other subjects, winning awards, writing articles, apeasing clients for cash, you car guys are by far the best brotherhood I've seen, you all really kept the faith. Glad to be amounst the lot of you, it sure saved my modeling.

Wow. Thanks for the imput guys. Seems like I am not alone in this slump thing. Lots of good ideas here. I think some of it is that winter is solidly set in here. My 1:1 cars have been in storage for quite a while and I am just bummed out. I work about 70 hrs a wk on average then we chase our kids around and when that's done well I usually am too lol. I think the first thing I am going to do is give my area a good cleanup( I did get some new to me shelving) then I am going to get this take a turn Torino wrapped up as I am eager to see what we can turn out as a group. I will see how that goes and keep you posted. That's why I love this forum. We look out for our own.

Fred

Fred, l have been in the burn out stage also in the past. Cleaning my work bench and looking at posted builds and links members post from contests gets my mind and spirit ready to build. Please hang in there and keep us posted....

I'm a very slow builder, it can take me several months to finish a model. I can't build a model without adding more and more details. Then I get lazy and it takes forever to finish. I wish I could just push myself to build a couple of box stock models, just paint and foil. No other details.

Close the hobby room / shelf / closet up and walk away for a while. Come back to it later,,when ever that is . I've done it many times when I got bored with it.

Unless there are some extenuating circumstances for the lack of desire ....... do NOT sell them off you'll regret it ( damhik )

Lately when i get burned out on my builds ill take a day or two off then just paint or glue on a couple small parts. After a few days the small parts start adding up and then you see the finish line and get excited to get er done! A couple years ago I finished my Lancia rally car that I started then put away in fear of messing up a 50 dollar kit by doing a couple pieces a day till it was done.

and there are times you are up for different modeling type activities. That's why I keep a few things on my bench...

Sometimes I just want to hack on plastic, so I will have something that I need to cut up.

Sometimes I'm into rummaging and assembling a concept

Sometimes I'm into assembly

Sometimes I'm into painting or weathering something

Sometimes I'm into fine finishing details

So it's good to have projects at various stages.

usually in the summertime i build almost nothing , on a rare occasion i then add some thing to already finished models or do a toutch up .. but when fall comes i slowly start to build again and when its getting cold like now already i will be in the "groove" again and build all fall and winter :)

sometimes you just need a certain brake , every hobby , art where design and inspiration come in you will have a point where you feel like that (first post)

i did renderings of cars with photoshop for years and was (maybe still are) whell known in that scene that is still very big ..

those people are designing a lot and .. also have like what they call choppers block

so modelbuilders block as we can call it ? isnt that strange