Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes "Blue Wonder" Transporter: 1/28/14 "Outside" photos posted

Danno……..if you have one for the "Make and Take"…….. at your next show? :P

John, there's always a reserved seat for you at the Make-N-Take at any show I have anything to do with! That's a promise, big guy! Don't know who would have more fun, you or the little kids! ;)

Definitely a grand slam home run.

I might point out one thing -- you seem to have used the decals from the Testors Italeri 300 SL roadster, which has the incorrect Mercedes nose badge (black & red, used pre-WWII). They made the same error on the 1/16 Gullwing and roadster. The nose badge should be similar to the modern blue and silver with laurel wreath, but with a white star. This is a 1956 Gullwing badge.

Picture37_zpsd454f6ec.png

Edited by sjordan2

Definitely a grand slam home run.

I might point out one thing -- you seem to have used the decals from the Testors Italeri 300 SL roadster, which has the incorrect Mercedes nose badge (black & red, used pre-WWII). They made the same error on the 1/16 Gullwing and roadster. The nose badge should be similar to the modern blue and silver with laurel wreath, but with a white star. This is a 1956 Gullwing badge.

Picture37_zpsd454f6ec.png

Skip……..yes,I need to make the right badge decal…….do you know of any?…….thanks

Use this one, and print it out to match the whole size of the badge molded onto the nose of your truck, which is correct.

1. Make sure the edges of the molded badge are painted chrome or silver.

OR

2. Paint the whole molded badge chrome or silver, and print this art on clear decal paper to put over it.

Picture41_zps1db15efc.png

Edited by sjordan2

Use this one, and print it out to match the whole size of the badge molded onto the nose of your truck, which is correct.

1. Make sure the edges of the molded badge are painted chrome or silver.

OR

2. Paint the whole molded badge chrome or silver, and print this art on clear decal paper to put over it.

Picture41_zps1db15efc.png

Thanks Skip…….that looks great :)

I would also point out that your taillights are incorrect, and look like they're based on the 300 SL roadster. Both the headlights and taillights should come from the 300 SL Gullwing, probably from the AMT Prestige version (I'm not familiar with those kit parts, but I am with the 1:1). I don't know the dimensions of your kit, but I think you could use the roadster or Gullwing grille as well.

Edited by sjordan2

Hello……..thank you all very much for the kind comments……..I really do appreciate them……..I should have pointed out before I built this model……..that it won't be perfectly correct…….you may know me by now……….that I just use what I have and if I don`t have it …….I just make something close to it…….I don`t spend allot of money on my builds……....my models are not perfect…….and I don`t and will never consider my self a perfect modeler…….I just like to build and have fun with it…….if if makes one person happy …….that is all that matters to me………tomorrow I will paint and add the ramps……..thanks for looking.

DSCF9035_zpsed2d8102.jpg

DSCF9041_zps186c58a9.jpg

DSCF9043_zps67798b0a.jpg

DSCF9047_zps0e950fd7.jpg

DSCF9050_zps4a773114.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Does anyone know if any more of the body panels came off? If that little hatch was the only access to the engine, that thing would have been impossible to work on! Or was the engine so Mercedes-Benz bulletprof and typically German overly-engineered that it never broke down? ^_^

Does anyone know if any more of the body panels came off? If that little hatch was the only access to the engine, that thing would have been impossible to work on! Or was the engine so Mercedes-Benz bulletprof and typically German overly-engineered that it never broke down? ^_^

it has another piece to the puzzle………I came across a picture that shows another body panel……..but,it was to late to add it……..it`s about 1/4 size of the hatch following down towards the spare tires……..I did not have very many reference pictures……..I guessed allot on this build……so the story goes: "it`s good enough for the girls I go with"……..I don`t have time to build the perfect model……..I have allot of builds on my bench to build. :)

Edited by John Teresi

Hello…….I got the ramps painted and installed………..I need to add some nuts to the eye bolts and I need to make a gas cap…….and I need to add the side trim to the doors…….then I can start on the race car……..thanks for looking.

DSCF9068_zps06643aef.jpg

DSCF9078_zpsb416d1bf.jpg

DSCF9070_zps7a731a93.jpg

DSCF9088_zps7830d603.jpg

DSCF9076_zps9b0f71f7.jpg