Model Cars Magazine Forum

What this forum means to me (us)

cobraman

I joined this forum a couple of years ago because I was getting the magazine ( as well as the other one ) for several years and I have a love for model cars and the great ideas that come from members. This place is really much more than a model car site to me. It is a gathering of friends who may never meet but are there for you. It really impresses me how when someone ( including myself ) posts something about a happy event in their lives or in some cases a sad event many people step up and offer support. To me in my mind this is a huge deal. Everybody needs a little support now and then and who would think you could get that from a model car site. I have posted both happy and sad events in my personal and without fail I always got support from the members here. Do not underestimate the power of your responces to these types of posts. I can tell you that they do mean more than you may think. Thanks to all for being a great bunch of guys that I am proud to be a member with. Ok that's my sapiness ( is that a word ? ) for the day.

I think the fact that a forum like this, for hobbyists in what would mostly be a solitary pursuit, can be invaluable in so many ways. It is a social outlet for some, (I know of several that are mobility limited and do not get out to shows much etc) but a great resource for instant feedback, parts gathering, and overall can create a sense of community for some.

I agree with all of the above, plus, since I just got back into modeling a couple of years ago, the education I have received here has been invaluable. The inspiration of seeing the great work others are doing, and the willingness to share knowledge of how it's done, make this place an incredible resource. I have received gracious help, and kind comments, even when I have asked the stupidest questions. You are all a fine bunch of folks, and thank you.

I came here a few years ago after hearing about if from a fellow on BMC. I'm not much for getting out and mixing with people, grew up pretty well an only child (I have a sister much older them I), and I don't post as much as I should, but even I have grown so much in this hobby thanks to what I've seen and learned here. This place is obviously (to me anyways) a great meeting place for friends to chat and share, and I've seen and experienced the patience and wisdom of those who have taken newcomers and helped us learn or relearn this great hobby. To those that spend their time and effort in keeping up this site, thank you! You are truly appreciated for what you do for us!

I have to agree with all the previous posts, and I think Ray hit the proverbial nail right on the head, I am actually a member of 4 other forums, but never visit them anymore I would visit one back when MCM was down when the server got comprimised, but I have to say this is by far the best modeling forum on the Net, there are some of the friendliest, knowledgeable, helpful, folks on here and it is family friendly, the mods go to great lenghts to keep us in line, and they don't tolerate alot of foolishness which is a good thing, I have seen a couple instances of someone getting out of line since I have been a member and it was quickly nipped in the bud and for that, THANKS moderators!! I have made some special friends on here and even though I may never meet them I do conversate with them via PM and email on a regular basis. This is my Facebook!! :D

On-line forums, facebook, twitter and the like have taken the place of the old neighborhood. When your friends lived just a few doors away and if you needed it, help was just around the corner. I miss just hang'n out with the gang,

But I agree, since that time has passed, MCM fills in quite nicely.

When I started this thread I had just spent some time on another forum. In addition to models I also collect firearms. When I was reading some posts there I saw over and over again that someone had made a post in the simular " What did you get " section. I can't tell you how many times I have seen replies like "that's junk" or "why did you buy that piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH" or "you should have bought a (fill in the blank ). You get none of that here that I have noticed. Here there is a level of respect and support that is just not all that common. That is why this is my favorite place to come and just enjoy the company of like minded people.

When I started this thread I had just spent some time on another forum. In addition to models I also collect firearms. When I was reading some posts there I saw over and over again that someone had made a post in the simular " What did you get " section. I can't tell you how many times I have seen replies like "that's junk" or "why did you buy that piece of ######" or "you should have bought a (fill in the blank ). You get none of that here that I have noticed. Here there is a level of respect and support that is just not all that common. That is why this is my favorite place to come and just enjoy the company of like minded people.

Ray...the problem with some as you sated is they never had to get what ever they could find or afford to work on...some people forget what its like to have a very small or a lack of a real budget to work with...I never will...some of my best were considered junk(2 of which are in my photobucket here under my profile)a Plymouth wagon and 64 Chevy junkyard pickup--both were warped so badly its not funny. I take comments at face value just that...I can learn from them but would never put anyone or their work down they might surprise me with what they make from it. A good builder will learn from each build and get better as they gain experience and new skills...besides everyone has to start somewhere.

When I started this thread I had just spent some time on another forum. In addition to models I also collect firearms. When I was reading some posts there I saw over and over again that someone had made a post in the simular " What did you get " section. I can't tell you how many times I have seen replies like "that's junk" or "why did you buy that piece of ######" or "you should have bought a (fill in the blank ). You get none of that here that I have noticed. Here there is a level of respect and support that is just not all that common. That is why this is my favorite place to come and just enjoy the company of like minded people.

So true Ray, your a very positive person and I admire that. if I can't build up I will not tare down. I enjoy the people here and have many friends here. I will never meet you but I feel like I have know so many for years.

Here there is a level of respect and support that is just not all that common. That is why this is my favorite place to come and just enjoy the company of like minded people.

Well, folks that behave like you described, around here, get run outa town on a rail. The mods don't put up with that sort of attitude here. Folks are either here to participate and act respectfully, to learn and/or to teach, or we send 'em packin'.