Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Mustang resin cast parts

What do you all think of the parts? Now I can make some accurate 71-73 Mustangs out of the AMT and MPC kits.post-13094-0-03374000-1389060431_thumb.j

I've posted another picture of the stock hood (from the Johan funny car), a scratch built conv body, the Motor City Resin coupe and some resin 71/72 MPC & AMT front bumpers.

post-13094-0-39153700-1389231997_thumb.j

Edited by vamach1

I never liked the AMT kits.

I owned one of those beautiful "Bunky Sports Roof" models for 7 years. Not as a primary vehicle mind you... but I put maybe 10,000 miles on it during the time I had the pink slip.
PB020249-vi.jpg

4bbl, 4 speed, 351C power with air conditioning, decor interior, stereo, power steering and.... was VERY FAST!

Bad vision rearward tho.

The AMT kit has a good body shape but little else. Chassis totally sucks and make a better curbside.

And there is NO good chassis that matches that 1/25th body.
The closest thing is the 1/24th Torino GT chassis, which the Mach 1 shares in real life. But the scales preclude using it with the AMT body.
Otaka made a 1/24th Mustang Mach 1 body that fits the Monogram 1/24th chassis perfectly! I started my own replica of my car while still owning the machine.... but the economy collapsed and I had to sell the car.
The model too got boxed.

Hood on the Otaka places the NACA ducts too far apart is the only rub I was planning to change. Other than that...... I liked my plan and hope to finish it eventually.

I had them cast and I had the "correct" 71/72 Mach1 and Sprint bumpers cast from original molds. I also made a "chrome" front bumper from a "rubber" one and had some copies of it cast also so I could do a 71 Boss 351 or non Mach1 coupe/conv/sportsroof. I'll post pics of the works in progress soon. Let's just say there are several bodies mocked up for numerous versions of my favorite year Mustang.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203048790247546&set=t.1439095233&type=1&theater

I can ask my caster for a price for a "set" of what we will call a transkit. I know the dash was a pain but the rest of the parts seemed ok. I';m not sure on price but I'm guessing in the $25 ballpark per set. Post here if you're interested. The seats were not cast due to being rubber. He may also have the master molds for the standard 71-73 hood (non ram air) and 71-72 urethane bumper (versus the cow catcher 73 bumper).

I might be interested as well. Would love to have a chrome front bumper for the Boss 351.

A nicely made resin convertible body would be great. I think that is a good looking car, often thought about doing this conversion myself.

• 4 weeks later...