Model Cars Magazine Forum

Underhood Decals?

Hi.

Is there decals for hoses and stuff to detail up engine rooms? Some hoses like the radiator or

hoses for the heater often have white writing / numbers on it. Maby stuff for battery,radiator

"warning hot" etc. Tip where to get are appriciated.

There is a huge void in these under hood decals, I like to see more of them too, and except for the hoses, batteries and those things I would like to see.

For Ford the round white gold and black decals that denotes the cui on the valve covers on the older black FE engines, 352, 390, 406...and the 427 birds, the cui decals for the later air cleaners would also be nice to have a selection of, as the different Y-Block valve cover decals

For Chevrolet the different cui markings for their engines, both the ones on the air cleaner and the HP decals for the valve covers on the engines that has them there.

For Dodge the Ramcharger 413, 426, 426 A and 426-II, 426-III valve cover decals and the small square yellow and red Mopar Air Cleaner decals for the Super Stock Max Wedge and Hemi Dodge's of the early to mid 60's.

For Plymouth the Super Stock 413, 426, 426-II, 426-III valve cover decals and the yellow and red Mopar air cleaner decals for the Super Stock Max Wedge and Hemi Plymouth's of the early to mid 60's.

Also the different round cui decals with Magnum, TNT and such and all other different underhood decals used on the Mopar cars from the 60's and 70's would be nice.

So there are lots and lots of underhood decals that can be done for each car model and mostly the kit manufacturers has overseen this need and omitted them from the decal sheets...and the aftermarket hasn't done much either...why I don't know...I for one would buy several sheets for my builds if they were available.

Edited by Force

There is a huge void in these under hood decals, I like to see more of them too, and except for the hoses, batteries and those things I would like to see.

For Ford the round white gold and black decals that denotes the cui on the valve covers on the older black FE engines, 352, 390, 406...and the 427 birds, the cui decals for the later air cleaners would also be nice to have a selection of, as the different Y-Block valve cover decals

For Chevrolet the different cui markings for their engines, both the ones on the air cleaner and the HP decals for the valve covers on the engines that has them there.

For Dodge the Ramcharger 413, 426, 426 A and 426-II, 426-III valve cover decals and the small square yellow and red Mopar Air Cleaner decals for the Super Stock Max Wedge and Hemi Dodge's of the early to mid 60's.

For Plymouth the Super Stock 413, 426, 426-II, 426-III valve cover decals and the yellow and red Mopar air cleaner decals for the Super Stock Max Wedge and Hemi Plymouth's of the early to mid 60's.

Also the different round cui decals with Magnum, TNT and such and all other different underhood decals used on the Mopar cars from the 60's and 70's would be nice.

So there are lots and lots of underhood decals that can be done for each car model and mostly the kit manufacturers has overseen this need and omitted them from the decal sheets...and the aftermarket hasn't done much either...why I don't know...I for one would buy several sheets for my builds if they were available.

I concur that there is a huge void when it comes to under the hood detail decals. A good example is in the below picture.

The Mustang's passenger side inner fender-well has a sticker, the fan belt itself has a logo, the air conditioner compressor has a logo tag on top of it, in addition to the engine displacement sticker atop the air-cleaner it has a sticker on the drivers side, the battery has an Autolite logo, and the radiator has the "Caution-Fan" sticker.

engine3.jpg

I would be nice to see decals that replicate the white stenciling on radiator hoses. I do recall a while back someone was briefly selling hose decals on the on-line model car auction site. Cannot recall who it was though.

FoMoCo Radiator hose stencil

engine22-1.jpg

The logos for batteries would be also add more realism to the engine bay. During the 60ties-70ties muscle car era GM’s came with Delco batteries, Ford’s came with Autolite batteries, Chrysler’s came with Mopar batteries.

General Motors-1960 thru 1980

55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62.jpg

delcoclassicbatteryTopjpga8fecb04-9a25-4

Ford Motor Company 1960 thru1980

DZ0272.jpg

110160.jpg

Mopar 1960 thru 1980

Resized_Mopar_old_style_-_Battery.jpg

Resized_lil_red_battery.jpg

Also, it was very prevalent during the muscle car era was the “Caution Fan” sticker. It was either on the top of either the radiator support bracket or fan shroud.

General Motors 1967 thru 1982

GM1967-1982.jpg

Ford Motor Company and Mopar1967thru 83

ar057cautionfan1ka.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a company that makes decals for under the hood. I don't mean engine sizes or air cleaner decals and such. I looking for the decals on the firewall and radiator that you can't read. The little black & white ones with tiny letters. does anyone make a whole sheet of those. I'm always looking for them and can never find them !!! :wacko:

I'm working on it, but researching and generating all this sort of stuff takes a loooong time! Plus...I'm slow and easily distracted by other projects... :(

I already have the Autolite battery decals on my Cobra Daytona sheets.

The ones currently in progress are:

70 Cuda-Challenger. Includes underhood stuff, strobe and RT stripes, emblems, interior

66 Shelby and Mustang. Includes Shelby stripes, Hertz, emblems, underhood stuff, instrument faces.

69 Shelby and Mustang. Includes stripes, emblems, underhood, and interior details for the Revell kits.

70-72 Duster-Demon. All stripes, emblems, underhood and interior details.

The Mod Top artwork is done and should release soon. The 70 Cuda and 69 Shelby sheets are wrapping up.

Typically, I fill extra space on sheets with additional detail items that can be used on multiple models.

Steve

Does anyone know of a company that makes decals for under the hood. I don't mean engine sizes or air cleaner decals and such. I looking for the decals on the firewall and radiator that you can't read. The little black & white ones with tiny letters. does anyone make a whole sheet of those. I'm always looking for them and can never find them !!! :wacko:

Harold, check out Archer Fine Transfers. They have dry transfers that easily convert to decal form and look exactly like what your after. I have been using these for this purpose for the past few years and they are brilliant. They have 3 colors of these "placards" and I cannot recommend them enough. Here is a link http://www.archertransfers.com/AR35210S.html

No worries lol... YES I have, Archer is family owned and top notch. Awesome service and fantastic stuff. Be sure to check out the video tutorials on using the transfers and all you can do with them.

Wow Mick ! you are the man !!! :lol: Have you ever purchased anything from Archer and if so, how did it go ?

I go to the local hobby shop and pick up some tiny railroad decals or small aircraft decals for smaller scale. Some are just text or logos and they are very small, but look good on hoses. etc. You might have to just

add the decals for detail. I use the railroad decals more then anything. Hope this helps...

Art

Edited by goodguyinar416

The "Streetburner" version of the 1/24 Revell '70 Dodge Challenger T/A (kit #2596) includes some underhood detail decals, including the early '70s Mopar coolant sticker, and maybe two or three others.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to drag an old post back, but has anybody had any luck finding underhood decals yet, hose markings, plates, air cleaner decals etc .

I would still like to find a supplier if anyone could help.

Edited by Mr Stock