Model Cars Magazine Forum

I quit playing after I cratered so hard on the Mopar stuff.

I was in high school in the '80s, and I tell ya, there wasn't much Mopar around my town or in the area.

I've said for years that you couldn't have given a Mopar away back then. When I say that, it really seems to tick off the C-D-P guys, but it shouldn't. I'm only talking about one little town in Indiana.

Where I grew up, it was GM or Ford, but mostly GM. I remember more AMCs being driven by classmates than Mopar. In all honesty, Mopar was considered the bottom rung during my high school years.

The only somewhat hot Mopar that I remember was a '73, driven by one of my classmates, and I don't even remember the model. Secretly, we kind of laughed at it, and said things like "Why doesn't he just trade it for a Chevelle or a Pontiac?" I remember my classmate adamantly stating how hot Mopar would be in the coming years, and how popular they already were in the national market. We laughed at that too.

How little did we know back then...

Before someone beats me to death over this post, just remember that this is one guy's perception growing up in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of Indiana, back in the early 1980's. Since the inception of the internet, I've since learned that there were areas that you couldn't have given a Chevy away for love nor money, and a Pontiac would have been thought as a last resort over walking.

I quit playing after I cratered so hard on the Mopar stuff.

I was in high school in the '80s, and I tell ya, there wasn't much Mopar around my town or in the area.

I've said for years that you couldn't have given a Mopar away back then. When I say that, it really seems to tick off the C-D-P guys, but it shouldn't. I'm only talking about one little town in Indiana.

Where I grew up, it was GM or Ford, but mostly GM. I remember more AMCs being driven by classmates than Mopar. In all honesty, Mopar was considered the bottom rung during my high school years.

The only somewhat hot Mopar that I remember was a '73, driven by one of my classmates, and I don't even remember the model. Secretly, we kind of laughed at it, and said things like "Why doesn't he just trade it for a Chevelle or a Pontiac?" I remember my classmate adamantly stating how hot Mopar would be in the coming years, and how popular they already were in the national market. We laughed at that too.

How little did we know back then...

Before someone beats me to death over this post, just remember that this is one guy's perception growing up in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of Indiana, back in the early 1980's. Since the inception of the internet, I've since learned that there were areas that you couldn't have given a Chevy away for love nor money, and a Pontiac would have been thought as a last resort over walking.

Not to worry. Little towns like Saginaw, Muncie and many others had their own allegiances for good reason. ^_^

Not to worry. Little towns like Saginaw, Muncie and many others had their own allegiances for good reason. ^_^

We had a car parts plant here, but they built parts for the Big 3.

I think the biggest reason of this being a GM town, especially back then, was because we had a Chevy dealer. We also had a Ford dealer, and there were a ton of Fords around, but it seemed that most car guys gravitated to GM. For a while we had a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership. The closest Chrysler dealer was 12 miles away, but I don't recall them having Dodge trucks.

I think one thing that added to this being a GM town was because quite a few people worked at a GM plant or Allison in the big city. Many of those guys traded vehicles every year, which can put a ton of cars out on the used car market.