Model Cars Magazine Forum

How young do you feel?

slusher

I'm only 27, but my desk job and inactivity has caught up to me badly. I'm also in need of a 50+ lb weight loss. Although, I had bad knees and a bad back prior to all of this... so I'm 27 going on 58 it feels like...

I keep telling myself that every 100lbs I lose, is a tenth of a second in the quarter mile.. and drag racing season is coming up... I need to looks about 60-70lbs! lol

I am 54, I honestly feel about 30, full time job, a wife, a 20 and a 12 year old boys and a 1 1/2 year old dog to keep me humping during the day...... but when 8 pm rolls around, I feel 75+ and just want to relax, whatever happened to the up till 3AM model building/music jamming sessions.....

to quote Steven Tyler and Aerosmith....

"... my get-up-and-go must have got-up-and-went..."

If I felt as old as I look, I'd probably want to pack it in.

If I looked as young as I feel, I'd still be able to snag hot babes in bars (sweeping them off their feet with whispered sweet-nothings about manufacturing ;) ).

Oh, if I'd only known then what I know now...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been reading this thread since it started and have been trying to decide how to respond......

I guess it depends on whether it is your body or your mind that is answering... I will qualify all this by stating that I'll be 67 in April and retired.

Let's just say that a LOT of things change as we get older......

I used to be able to party until the wee hours of the morning (several six packs or a good sized bottle of Jack D. + ??) and still get up at 6 AM to go to work.) Now if I'm up past midnight it's rare, and if I do happen to indulge in 1 or 2 drinks it's definitely bedtime for Bonzo soon thereafter...

I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Now if I eat a meal after 7 PM I get either indigestion or acid reflux,especially anything with tomato sauce, which wakes me up in the middle of the night... I am also now Lactose Intolerant so I use Lactaid Milk (which is great stuff, by the way, and I highly recommend it.)

I had no problem moving furniture or lifting heavy objects in and around the house. Now my 30 year old daughter (who still lives with us) is the strong one in the family.

Part of my daily routine now is to clean and reglue my dentures in so I can eat and talk like a normal person (sometimes several times a day...... Bless you Super PoliGrip...!!!)

I won't even mention the "no nooky" situation...... Once menopause hit, the Mrs. locked that door! :(

My doctor calls it Insomnia, but I call it a P.I.T.A.... I wake up after 3 hours... I used to be able to sleep for 8 to 10 hours straight...... (Must have been all the Jack D. :D

Do I mentally feel like an young man... absolutely. Physically though... not so much. It is however, what it is, a natural progression of aging, and there's not a whole lot we can do about it. I have my family, my grandson, the roof over my head, a bunch of good friends, and this great hobby. I opened my eyes this morning so it's a good day, and I'm thankful for every one I get.

I believe a lot of this boils down to can/ cannot do mentality , quite often , being influenced by others opinions , at least in my case !

I refuse to roll over and play " dead " as some refer to it as . I've been admonished to " act my age " more times than I can count . How should I act ? Walker , wheel chair , front porch seat , are not for me .... Not by a long shot !

Forget softball , play golf ! Why ? Two years ago in Canada , my nephew and I jumped 55 ft from a rock perch into 40 ft of water . The open mouthed look on the local kids faces was hysterical ! I then climbed back up and dove off ! My buddy's wife videoed it , Kathie's scream can be heard quite distinctly ! Lmao !

We won the gold in The Senior Olympic Nationals this past July for softball . Next up ? A World Series ring for the Senior world Championships . My bucket list is wide ranging , full , and constantly being added to ! It's all about an attitude , a can do mentality , that you an you alone are solely responsible for !

Constantly set goals for yourself , large or small , the satisfaction can be immense and very fulfilling ! Life needs to be lived to the fullest , within each individual's limitations . It's not a dress rehearsal , you only go around once , make the most of it ! You just have to believe !

Any day above ground is a good day, we all have aches and pains, but that usually comes from the less intelligent choices we made in youth, some are from the actions of others over which we had no control, just at the wrong place and wrong time, but we always need to look forward and work for a better tomorrow. (man that sounds hokey) But it's the truth, all we have for certain is today, yesterday was a learning experience and tomorrow doesn't exist. Now get out there and do something that you enjoy and makes you happy!

The concept of age is something I rarely think about. Every day above ground is a good one.

Some of us began a discussion on police work the other day. It brought home the fact I have been "on the job" for 34 years. I have been working longer that the rest of my squad has been on this earth. The closest in age is my partner Louis. He was 2 months old when I was initially sworn in.

The guys find it amusing that what they take for granted I have had to learn. All of them were born in the age of the internet, cell phones and digital everything. Sometimes I strive to keep up and constantly bug ol Louie who is a patient soul.

Injuries sustained in my career as well as my military days have now compounded leaving me stiff, sore, and grateful to be alive. Living where I do helps tremendously. Folks marvel that I survived some of the things that happened to me. I suppose I am doing well physically and mentally in spite of the "trauma". I put trauma in quotes as I have never seen it that way. It was part of the job, part of what I signed on for.

It was also part of His plan, and I give thanks every day.

I have had front row seats to the greatest show on earth and I don't plan on leaving the tent any time soon.

G