Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

I'm a bit over my head just now. :(

Now c'mon Cato, I for one, do not believe that for a moment mate.

Not here to bash on anyone, least of all my good friends, but maybe you just need a good kick in the tail to spur you on, hey. :) Whatcha reckon? :D

Seriously though, I can only look on in awe at what you have achieved thus far....please don't cave now. :(

Now c'mon Cato, I for one, do not believe that for a moment mate.

Not here to bash on anyone, least of all my good friends, but maybe you just need a good kick in the tail to spur you on, hey. :) Whatcha reckon? :D

Seriously though, I can only look on in awe at what you have achieved thus far....please don't cave now. :(

Lately, I'm getting my tail kicked regularly my friend. My Mrs is now facing an uncertain and rocky medical road ahead. As her sole caregiver, that means a million daily actions away from the workbench. And mental issues no one wants to deal with.

I'm not the complacent retiree any more.

I meant that this portion of the build, with fabric and leather, comes to me with great difficulty. I chose it now thinking it will be a relaxing change from the tedious detail and engineering overcome much more easily, earlier. Then the roof fell in and I turn to it for far less time but for a bit of relief from our stressful situation. I still love the Sedanca project and will not abandon it assuming things take a positive turn for my mate.

There are masters of this upholstery stuff like you and Harry, but I'm shocked at what a struggle I'm having with it - I think I just stink at it.

My hope, as I flounder around looking for a 'look', is that I don't let down the rest of the car.

I do appreciate your encouragement and taking the time to write and push me on.

Lately, I'm getting my tail kicked regularly my friend. My Mrs is now facing an uncertain and rocky medical road ahead. As her sole caregiver, that means a million daily actions away from the workbench. And mental issues no one wants to deal with.

I'm not the complacent retiree any more.

I meant that this portion of the build, with fabric and leather, comes to me with great difficulty. I chose it now thinking it will be a relaxing change from the tedious detail and engineering overcome much more easily, earlier. Then the roof fell in and I turn to it for far less time but for a bit of relief from our stressful situation. I still love the Sedanca project and will not abandon it assuming things take a positive turn for my mate.

There are masters of this upholstery stuff like you and Harry, but I'm shocked at what a struggle I'm having with it - I think I just stink at it.

My hope, as I flounder around looking for a 'look', is that I don't let down the rest of the car.

I do appreciate your encouragement and taking the time to write and push me on.

Relax. Do what works for you. As far as the upholstery the work so far looks good , don't be so hard on yourself

In post #647 Southpier was pretty close to the answer to the question, "what are those round metal thingies on the armrests?" (Actually, close but no cigar.)

"[that button actually unscrews and the weed stash goes into its humidor.]"

Seeking the real answer, I contacted Frank Dale & Stepsons, perhaps Britain's largest purveyor of vintage Rollses and Bentleys, and just received the following:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email. The item you enquired about are ash trays, they slide out about two to three inches when required and close back flush with the panel as seen in the photo below.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Giles Crickmay

Frank Dale & Stepsons London

Skip, where are you finding those great detail photos?

Mostly careful Googling and downloading -- you'd be surprised how many of these sources disappear over time. Any particular reference you'd like to know about?

NOTE: The beige back seat I posted above is from the extensive research I gathered on the original car used as the source for Revell's 1/16 Phantom II Continental.

Edited by sjordan2

As I alluded to earlier, the 1/16 Rolls I tracked down was originally owned by Raymond Gentile, who wrote the definitive book on the Phantom II continental, which I have. The car eventually passed into the Charles Schwimmer collection in The San DiegoCollection, and his website provided most of the detail shots. I think most of that is gone now.

Edited by sjordan2

Here's everything I've got on the original 1:1 Revell Rolls Phantom II. I don't know why there are so many duplicates, but almost all of these shots can no longer be found on the Internet. If you want to build this car, go here.

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/sjordan47/library/?sort=3&page=1

Edited by sjordan2

I'm having big computer problems on posting this. Here's what I'm trying to post...(I don't want to delete anything because some of these may have been added to other posts, and could be deleted from the threads)

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/sjordan47/library/ROLLS%20PHANTOM%20II?sort=3&page=1&_suid=142170730520708314078270923346

Edited by sjordan2

I'm having big computer problems on posting this. Here's what I'm trying to post...(I don't want to delete anything because some of these may have been added to other posts, and could be deleted from the threads)

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/sjordan47/library/ROLLS%20PHANTOM%20II?sort=3&page=1&_suid=142170730520708314078270923346

I didn't make it past the Bugatti section

You snooty upper crust can have your RR's hah!

Cato, Eric makes an extremely valid point above, take care of the home duties first and foremost mate, modelling takes a backseat now and again, and we shall all be here when you are ready. :)

I have an idea of how things may be for you, not exactly....but similar circumstances are in my life circle too. I am my Mums carer. I still live at home with her (she will be 94 this year), after moving back home

some 26 years ago, after Dad passed away. With her being deaf (with hearing aids) and almost totally blind, it is pretty much a high-care situation.

So yeah, sometimes models need to wait. :lol:

Most appreciated Greg and Eric. You can tell since my pace of updating has slowed down that my highest priority has been health care. We have quite a ways to go.

Greg, we have something else in common besides big scale cars; I too have a 94 year old Mom.

She is miraculously independent living 5 miles away, but 'high maintenance' as the pros say. I am zipping over there continuously between these and other errands for care and support. Very glad to still have her.

Not what I expected...

No, this looks nothing like I showed you all earlier. The reason is my lack of upholstery skills. Try as I might, I could not figure a way to do loose cushions with piping neatly - despite studying the methods of the best on this forum.

Who would have thought making 38 pleats would be easier?

438Medium_zps61b5ed09.jpg

Well not exactly 'easier' but easy to hide corners and edges compared to exposed edges.

436Medium_zps8f1b8afb.jpg

437Medium_zpsdd447272.jpg

Looking back, my main failure was not making a new seat shell from styrene but using Pocher's shell. That forced me into making a front edge bolster, something the 1000's of 1:1 pics I studied rarely had. Of course the 1:1's were all custom upholstery to the owner's whim so there's precedent for what I did. There's .030" piping under the bolster's edge and exposed on the armrest fronts. Getting the seat bottom to slope rearward was important to the 'comfy' look. Raising the back section to just under the window opening gave the privacy, 'cou - payy' look I'm after. I'm still considering the center armrest ( I left the backrest unglued) and tiny ashtrays on the sides - maybe. I hope I can do wood trim on the side panels and door tops to set this off.

The only thing I really like is the way light plays on the imperfections in the buffed and rumpled sections of leather. Polishing it made a nice difference for the 'patina' style of the model.

SHAMELESS PLUG: The absolute BEST CA for this type work is Loctite Gel Control super glue. It will NOT bleed through to the face side of leather. Very controllable, dries in 5 - 10 seconds when held. Uber strong bond, Also great for general construction of balsa and styrene. Bondini is also recommended with similar properties but is less viscous.

Here it is at home in the cabin where only a little light will reach it. Below that is the comparison. Which is your preference?

439Medium_zps700c650b.jpg

424Medium_zps51320bfc.jpg