Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

I'll look again tomorrow and see if I can figure out why I did what.

Geeze Harry; if you put it all on the workbench (dining room table?) it would save you a lot of trips. Then it would be a snap for you to finish it.

:lol: :lol:

Finally a breakthrough...

After much head scratching, I realized that I had been positioning the floor incorrectly in relation to the cowl / firewall. Koo gives you no guidance other than the floor must contact the back of the firewall. I finally did that and it positioned the floor / body much better.

The body must be repositioned rearward about 3mm from Pocher's location. Doing that centers the wheels in the fenders. Now I have done that:

352Medium_zps2a447946.jpg

The rear fender is not in place (couldn't mock it with anything) but by holding it shows correct tire placement and the height will come down. Remember, everything seen here is just placed in position except the front fender which is bolted. From grille, hood, cowl, body and trunk, everything fits within the chassis crossmembers. Within a millimeter or so it's all fine. Nothing hits or interferes:

353Medium_zps5f9256f0.jpg

The hood now fits near perfectly front to back and does not hit the cowl:

354Medium_zpsf52c8e19.jpg

I can now proceed with mods to make things join and assemble better than Pocher (and Koo) suggests.

Nice to see most of the shootin' match hung together for a moment:

355Medium_zpsc5450544.jpg

This is just stunning. The engine bay and firewall are unbelievable, a Christmas present for the modeler's eye. The finish of the top looks great as it is -- were you going to add other fabric?

That's just the grainy black plastic from Pocher. Yes, I have deep wine-colored gabardine to cover it. A lovely neat texture. And thanks to Harry's input, I'll have an (somewhat) easier time of it.

Bob, plenty of hacking to come and thanks for the support.

More costume rehearsal...

Here is the major geometry of the coach work in relation to the chassis and itself. Best I could do.

The rear wheel is nicely centered, something that always needs correcting on these. Grille, hood, body and trunk all play nicely together.

Overall, I'm pleased (and surprised!) with the stance and attitude with one reservation; I would like the rear ride height lower just a bit. But it is much improved over stock Pocher. I love the front. I can't de-arch the PE rear springs which are near horizontal now. Maybe I'm just nuts after looking at it 10,000 times.

Your opinions appreciated; OK to continue or should I used it for mortar practice??

Don't be shy...

363Medium_zpsa4ea803f.jpg

/364Medium_zps8249631f.jpg

365Medium_zps6925d8c3.jpg

366Medium_zps27eca0a5.jpg

367Medium_zps072252ad.jpg

368Medium_zps66f8d2e9.jpg

Shameless 'beauty' shots mental.gif ...

While shooting the previous photos, I had completely for gotten that I could pose the front wheels. Positionable wheels to me adds so much natural animation to a model and lifts it out of the 'toy' range.

So before I blow it apart and get it onto the work stands here it is. It will be a long time before it's all-of-a-piece again:

369Medium_zpsf01c5a11.jpg

370Medium_zpsc6461f7b.jpg

371Medium_zps6d65bd82.jpg

Cato, it's been a week or so since I checked in on this build and I can't believe how much progress you've made. Just amazing getting the body panels to fit as well as they do. The stance looks good, actually... it might be a touch low up front, but if anything that makes it look better!

End of a chapter...

The last bits of the drivetrain and engine are complete with the addition of the radiator brace and the control rods for the starting carburetor and grille shutters. None of this comes from Pocher. The position of the rad and the cowl are now fixed (after a hundred measurements) so the body location is also finalized. Most of this will get obscured by coachwork so here's a last look:

">372Medium_zps6bdee562.jpg

">373Medium_zpsb5ac174a.jpg

">374Medium_zps7ec1b395.jpg

">377Medium_zpsaded1459.jpg

">376Medium_zps5993afde.jpg

">375Medium_zpsb58cf1c8.jpg

I believe I have seen people reverse the rear spring shackles in order to lower the rear of a car without having to change components. (rotate the rear spring shackles so that the frame hangs down from the rear of the spring rather than being perched above the rear of the spring)

perhaps this can be done without messing up the geometry of the rest of the drive train.

I believe I have seen people reverse the rear spring shackles in order to lower the rear of a car without having to change components. (rotate the rear spring shackles so that the frame hangs down from the rear of the spring rather than being perched above the rear of the spring)

perhaps this can be done without messing up the geometry of the rest of the drive train.

Not here. There is too much linkage (shock, brake and locators) atop the axle that would hit the frame. Would require a kick in this frame. Also would lower this way too much.

Turns out the rear ride height in now very acceptable since I've modified the floor to fit the body a tad lower. The open areas in the wheel wells seen now will be gone when I make closing panels.

It's sitting just as I wanted now.