Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

I would love to see how you Pocher guys would transfer your experience to 1/16 kits like the Rolls Phantom II Continental and the Mercedes 540K.

I do have put back to use the Entex Benz 1/16th to model a Blue Goose........HG's ride before the US Army liberated it back to the USA as a war prize.............. :P

Hey look what I brung back in my duffle bag...............

Rick B)

And here's the near complete radiator;

43Medium_zps713b647d.jpg

Remember, I said a driven, older restoration-not a museum piece. It will leak a little (English right??) and ooze grease and oil a bit.

Straight from the Crewe workshop;

44Medium_zps50a3787e.jpg

No bug spatters like the GT-40 however...

45Medium_zps83e5941f.jpg

I would love to see how you Pocher guys would transfer your experience to 1/16 kits like the Rolls Phantom II Continental and the Mercedes 540K.

My thought was that transferring your Pocher experience to the 1/16 versions could help non-Pocher builders add incredible details to their 1/16 builds, from your examples. For people like me.

For people like me.

Why do you place yourself in some different category? I am surely in no superior building category than you.

Your Bentley, built 20 years ago stands right up to the best levels seen here daily. And you obviously have the ability to discern levels of detail in references that many easily miss. If you can see 'em, you can reproduce 'em.

I understand and for the most part agree with your point about translating details down to 1/16. But having done both, I can tell you it doesn't always or easily translate-unless you're a machinist or caster like Mark Jones for instance (there are others here). Harry and Teresi obviously live on both sides of that street too.

Working twice the size of 1/16 allows easier high levels of detail and usually more of them.

But my Rolls may not be chock full of non-stock details so therefore the equivalent of a really good 1/16. I'm just really hoping for as immaculate, square of a build as I can achieve.

I hope I said clearly what I'm thinking... :blink:

My thought was that transferring your Pocher experience to the 1/16 versions could help non-Pocher builders add incredible details to their 1/16 builds, from your examples. For people like me.

You have the right idea Skip, any kit no matter what scale can always benefit from added details and yes I also agree the bigger the kit the better. Now we all agree 1/8th is a monster, but other kits too can be done to very high standards. I model 1/12th F1 and you would be amazed @ what can be done w/them, so with that said, 1/16th lends itself well to the detailer as well.

Rick B)

Edited by Pocherphile

Ah, Cato has learned the correct way to adjust for the gap between cowl/hood/radiator........granted this only takes care of a small gap, but after you adjust with the said areas and just need a scouch to finish, this trick is the ticket............ :lol:

def f/city boys: scouch is a tad.........

Rick B)

Do the radiator shutters work? (manually, of course)

They do not as they come in the kit, but years ago I saw a Rolls this guy had spent years working on, now the how I have no idea, but he could take a pencil.......rubber end and push something under the dash and the shutters would open and shut............and this same guy pretty much replaced the complete frame w/hand bucked brass.......and again, not to my understanding, he would take that same pencil and when pressure was applied to the brakes, they worked just like the real deal......now remember, I said he engineered the complete frame from brass and used drawings from RR plus repair manuals. This was to me the most complete working Pocher Rolls I have ever seen. I did mention this fella was a engineer, thats the only person I have ever seen make the brake system work on one of these.......then again, he pretty much made everything work on this little marvel. So as has been pointed out, in 1/8th scale, a person has the size to make whatever he wishes to function, if he has the knows how. ;)

Rick B)

I saw this car @ the Nurnberg Toy Fair 1978 and it was the most looked @ thing there. Last I remember, this guy was about to start work on a Benz!

Edited by Pocherphile

Dude-it's all I got! But it's great to cut on without worry.

Like Rick, I gotta be anal about sanding, grinding and then the vacuum. It's on a 30 x 42, 60 year old drafting table. The other two tables I've got are covered with sprue parts-looks like an autopsy in progress!

And I've got a 500 sq / ft basement which would cost $30K to finish as a shop and sewing area...shoot me. Do we have a 'crying' icon??

Thanks for the kind words David and Gary.

I am totally captured by this project and have logged the hours just for fun since opening the box.

I'm just shocked and embarrassed how little I've accomplished vs the hours put in. Part of the issue is the fact that the Pocher 'manual' is little more than a 'schematic' of (tiny) exploded line drawings with virtually no instructional text. Basically, a parts locator that's hard to read-even enlarged! I'll post a page or two soon for those who might consider owning one. Getting the Koo CD was the smartest thing I've done with the whole build.

I'm realizing I'm doing the same kind of planning and prep (and spending!) as I did on my 1:1.

Hoping I do justice to the really nice parts I have to work with.