Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Charger 500 Pro Street

Speedpro

A cup holder in a pro street car?!!! :unsure:

I totally agree with the rest of your comments, this is a great model.

well, glad you agree, pretty easy with a build like this.

cup holder in a pro street car? sure Don! I'd love to have one in mine. with the manual valve body. fiberglass seats and harness (we have to buckle up, state law), there is nowhere to put your big gulp. with black interior, aluminum firewall and 440+ cubes, that interior can get rather toasty.

Edited by tubbs

• 1 month later...

Got a little more done the past few weeks. Was wanting to get the engine finished but that didn't happen. But here's what I did get done and it was one of the bigger things I had to do to the engine. I had already did the fuel lines at the base of the injector hat but needed to do the lines at the base of the manifold. Here are a couple pictures of how it turned out........

005_zps4762ac65.jpg

004_zpsab711a8f.jpg

008_zpsf9e1648d.jpg

009_zps6ac517bf.jpg

010_zps6171534f.jpg

011_zps614736a3.jpg

012_zps8e2d4aed.jpg

More to come................

Also worked on the last body part, The hood. A hole was opened up for the supercharger to poke through. It was opened up big enough to see what was going to be needed to clear everything. The hood looked to flat to me. It needed something to help cover more of the supercharger and give some height to the hood. Looked through my junkyard of hoods and decided the hood from the 1967 chevelle max rat would lend itself perfectly. The hood was cut apart and the leftover part was shaped with a file, placed on the hood and marked where it was to be opened up to fit the new part..........

013_zps7598cb84.jpg

016_zps6934da0d.jpg

014_zpsc939fedd.jpg

Then the hole was cut in the hood to fit the new part. The stock charger hood has what I would call a cove (or recess) on both sides so had to figure out how to deal with those..........

018_zps77498cbe.jpg

019_zps24b124aa.jpg

021_zpsa4abfe21.jpg

Before the part was to be glued in, the injector hat hole had to be cut.....

023_zpsf3b01e7f.jpg

024_zpsf98721d6.jpg

025_zps6ea6fcd1.jpg

Now that the part was glued in, it was time to deal with transition to the coves. What ended up being done was to cut slots in the hood to accept a piece of sheet plastic.........

026_zps615f591f.jpg

029_zps52cc6512.jpg

Then the sanding took care of the rest. And this is the result......

030_zpsf03e7a5b.jpg

031_zps9e06cfa1.jpg

In this picture you can see how the transition to the cove turned out. You will also notice that there is no filler or putty work as everything was done with superglue only. It's ready for primer but will wait till the engine details are finished up so the hood can be trimmed here or there to fit.

033_zpsfc63ce79.jpg

037_zps4db41ecf.jpg

Thanks for looking and more to come...................

• 3 months later...

It's been a couple months since the last update. I have been able to put in a little time here and there and made some head way working on the fuel system on the engine. In some of the previous updates I show a injector hat that I was originally going to use but changed my mind. This is the one I'm using..........

1002_zps9d0742bf.jpg

I made a barrel valve to mount to the hat. Using some fittings I had in my stash, I made up the fuel lines to the hat and the base of the intake manifold. The line is fishing line that has a metal core that holds it shape real good. Plus as you unroll it, it changes color so you know how deep you are. It just happen to have this brown color. Had to drill out the fittings as the ID was smaller than the line.

1010_zps4a97ad78.jpg

1006_zps0daa498a.jpg

1007_zps7702193d.jpg

And both lines are in place.....

1013_zps1ce34b7c.jpg

Added the arms and little rod to connect them. The other side of the hat will have the throttle arm......

1017_zpsc435c9b4.jpg

I know at one point that the engine was fitted and had it sitting in the chassis just the way I wanted it to, but for some reason I sat the engine in there and it was crooked. Low and be hold it turned out to be the exhaust causing the problem. Fixed that and put the engine in and worked on the hole in the hood some.

1022_zps9c4a7225.jpg

1023_zps6b2a8554.jpg

In this last photo, you'll notice the letters BDS on the PE butterfly's in the hat......

1024_zpsdef9faad.jpg

That's it for now. More to come. Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...

I like pro street cars but i don't usually look to much into the builds on here. Then I came across this build and I couldn't stop looking. I went through all 10 pages and the two things that really kept me looking was the cool detail you were putting into the motor and the color combo. The color combo is so different, especially for a pro street in my opinion but man it just works. Very nice build.

Made some progress on the body over this last weekend. First, The bmf around the side windows was finished up. Also did the front park lamp housings. Started getting it ready for clear. I'm praying the tape won't pull the bmf off the rear panel. I tested it a few times and it seems to be ok when I pull the tape up, but who knows............

69charge%20003_zpsrsgzli1e.jpg

69charge%20004_zpsvuncn44j.jpg

69charge%20005_zpszvplfhxm.jpg

And it's ready for the clear...............

69charge%20009_zpslbdmzyi0.jpg

69charge%20010_zps0phzim0v.jpg

And here it is with the clear. I'm trying some different clear than what I normally use. It's called Mr. Super Gloss. I'm sure you have heard of it before. This stuff is just about like using Tamiya clear (this is what I normally use). First shot a light coat and then two wet coats. Came out pretty good.......

69charge%20019_zpsezkq9nli.jpg

69charge%20013_zpsees9nyas.jpg

69charge%20014_zpspkninivy.jpg

Happy to say the tape didn't pull off the bmf! ..............

69charge%20017_zpsb3bobja7.jpg

69charge%20011_zpsnzbq69y7.jpg

69charge%20020_zpsczqyyjf5.jpg

Polishing is next. Getting ready to do the hood. Just a small issue to take care of and it will get paint.

Thanks for the comments. More to come.....................