Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 Corvette

Dave

As an aside, I bought a previous issue of this kit from a discount store back in 1987 or so (I think it was on clearance for $3.19). It has the same "Street Rods" box art as this new reissue, but it has the AMT/Ertl logo and is stock number 6550. It's molded in red, and has exactly the same plastic parts as this new reissue, including the 327 and fuel injection set up (even the two groovy helmets). Mine came with a "supplemental instruction sheet", which was one page, and has instructions for building the 327 and the fuelie option. It also shows how the rear wheel arches need to be radiused for those monster slicks. It also has text explaining how the 427 was available for 1967, and it has the Dyersville IA Ertl address on it. The body on mine does not have the 1967 back up light, and the seats are molded into the interior bucket. My decal sheet is a generic AMT set of numbers and sponsors (think Modified Stocker series). In looking at mine, this is a really nice old kit. Glad I didn't complete it as a kid and destroy it! I may pick up a new one to build as a drag version though- that new decal sheet looks great! Just thought I'd let folks know that at least some of the previous reissues of this kit came with both engines.

The original #A163 AMT Street Rods '63 Corvette was molded in white plastic. I believe there were several runs with that box design, but only the first ones had a box bottom with blue printing about 50th anniversary specials. I think this is the only issue with '67 backup light.

The original decals were those simple small sheets similar to the other Street Rods kits. Seems like the '64 Impala had the set.

• 1 year later...

I got inspired by the 63 Z06 "Mystery Motor" Sting Ray that was featured in my latest copy of Hot Rod Magazine then realized I didn't have a "split window" in my stash. Picked one up today...here's what's in the box for anyone interested.

Big block with induction and valve cover options

Fuel injected small block

Nice chrome five spokes

Extremely disappointed with these old hollow Good Year whatever they are. 

Extremely disappointed with these old hollow Good Year whatever they are. 

63vette020-vi.jpg

I can remember when those particular tires were the hot thing, in around '74-'75, the first set of radial tires I bought for my little Pinto, they were pretty good at channeling water, but the compound was about as hard as a brick, so dry traction wasn't the best.

As I look at the parts layout, I see little clues that spark the ol' memory bank. The cut hood... the four port fender collector for the exhaust. I love it when I see something that I may have built as a youngster. Maybe this time, I'll be smart enough to not paint the body with oil paint!

Wow. I was just reading that article this morning. Thank you Fordrodncustom for posting another great review of great kit. I really like how you show everything that comes in the box. Helps tremendously when deciding whether to get that kit or not. Thank you.   Jeff 

Remember this kit was designed as a promo, not a kit. So while the body shape is good, it lacks modern kit details.

It came out as an annual in coupe and convertible updated every year until 1967. The annual '63 convertible and THE CAT had working front headlights.

After the '67 annual run, it became a All American kit in a couple variations of boxes containing a 1967 Corvette.

The above box is the artwork for the 25th anniversary kit (1973). AMT took the 1967 and backdated it to a 1963. Thanks to 1967, it now contained a 427 that was not available in 1963 (except on the track as a Mystery engine, so build it that way.) Also the 25th anniversary kit being a 1963, had a 1967 back up light between the tail lights. This is a rare kit as I have not seen this kit since I bought it new in 1973-1974.

The 1967 never came back. just the 1963.

Greg, you misunderstood me. I didn't say the above kit or the reissues are rare. What is rare, is the 1973 issue with a 1963 body and a 1967 backup light in the middle of the tail lights.

The box bottom has the have the 25th anniversary advertisement on it. That is on the bottom of 1973-1974 kits. Has to be molded in white plastic as well. Lots of reissues of that box cover and same kit # for sure, but 1973 didn't reoccur.

I have only seen 2 of the 1967 back up light '63s in the last 40 years. I am sure others are out there, but they are elusive.

Thanks for posting this.   But what is the other 63 Corvette coupe kit I see on the Bay? It has 'USA' decals on it. I suppose it's basically the same kit.

It is, 'cept with the USA-1 decals which Round2 has the licensing to reproduce:

AMT introduces a 3 in 1 ’63 split-window Corvette kit inspired by USA-1’s Everett Jasmer. While the kit can be built in stock, custom or racing versions, the instruction sheet shows the parts Everett would use in building the USA-1 dream Corvette! The kit also features a large decal sheet complete with patriotic USA-1 markings!

• 1/25 scale, molded in white
• 3-in-1 format with parts for stock, custom or drag versions
• Pre-lettered drag slicks
• Multiple engine intake options
• Clear red taillights
• Stock & custom wheels
• Large decal sheet with full color USA-1 graphics
• ALL NEW USA-1 PACKAGING 

Edited by Casey

The stock wheel covers (not hubcaps) were in the Prestige series release of the roadster, and are available from Modelhaus. They're also in the Revell 1/25 snapper '63 Vettes, which are at least as accurate in body shape as the AMT Vettes, if not more so.

The stock wheel covers (not hubcaps) were in the Prestige series release of the roadster, and are available from Modelhaus. They're also in the Revell 1/25 snapper '63 Vettes, which are at least as accurate in body shape as the AMT Vettes, if not more so.

Well they were called hubcaps as far as I know throughout the 50's. 60's and well into the 70's. Not exactly sure when the "wheel cover" thing started but to me both terms are correct...depending on perspective.

Well they were called hubcaps as far as I know throughout the 50's. 60's and well into the 70's. Not exactly sure when the "wheel cover" thing started but to me both terms are correct...depending on perspective.

Two different things. Hubcaps are smaller and cover only the hub and lugs/lug nuts, leaving a good deal of the steel wheel exposed. Wheel covers cover the whole wheel (Except maybe a small portion of the rim). I dunno about the C1s, but no Corvette from '63 on came with "hubcaps." (The caps on Rally Wheels were called "center caps.")