Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gonna start off with a really bad Lindburg kit here. I will be going for a look similar to the Alexander Brothers pickup the Grasshopper, but this will NOT be a replica. Their truck is just such a good looking truck that it inspired me to do something similar.

The cab on the Lindburg kit channels over the frame, so I will be adding back some plastic at the front so the cab can sit back up higher. Also, the "vinyl" spot on the roof will be going bye bye as well.

I will be using the frame and suspension from an Ala Kart kit. I started to fill in the frame in spots as well. I cut the cross members and made new ones so I could widen it to fit the 32 fenders from the Lindburg kit. I am not yet sure on the motor.

post-8985-0-08770600-1395291214_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-82744300-1395291214_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-74746900-1395291223_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-38932600-1395291224_thumb.jp

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the 32 is not a good kit at all, and I have a 34's that will get built at some point, but heck, why not a challenege!? LOL

In all seriousness, I specifically want to build a 32, and this is the one I have. (not really aware of any other 32 Ford pickup kits at all to be honest). I want it to be a companion to the 32 I sedan I built last year.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, sidetracked by a couple other ongoing projects.

I have modified the Alakart frame by widening it, also will be replacing the kit springs with airbags using styrene rod and O-rings. I also have the gap in the back of the cab fixed and under final filler. Between this and my other projects, it was a god day at the bench.

post-8985-0-96731700-1398726313_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-78356400-1398726314_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-68602700-1398726315_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-50667900-1398726316_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-50689600-1398726317_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-50862900-1398726318_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Alright, I have been away from this project far too long.

Working on the ride height led me to Z the frame in an odd manner. I cut it in half, and mounted the rear section to the frame that is mated to the fenders. The remaining portion of the front frame will then tuck into the inner frame within the fenders.

SAM_0560-vi.jpg

SAM_0561-vi.jpg

I got the gap in the body filled and under primer.

SAM_0576-vi.jpg

I also filled the hole in the wonky hood Not sure I will be using it or not. I may try to modify the hood from the David Stacey 32, or similar.

SAM_0563-vi.jpg

• 6 months later...

Despite this project finding its way to the back of the bench, I am very excited to be working on it again. I have a vision for this project that I am not sure I have the skills to accomplish, but that is part of the fun right?

I will not be using that hood above, in fact, it may have no hood at all.

I am modifying the firewall to use from the 30 Woody kit. Any ideas what those three holes in the center are to represent? I cannot find anything in the instructions about them, and do not recall seeing them on a 1:1 woody. Vent holes maybe?

I have also gotten most of the chassis work done, including modifying the motor mounts to accommodate the flathead from the 50 Ford pickup.

SAM_0637.jpg

SAM_0638.jpg

I'm thinking gauges as well. Some show and race cars had a duplicate set of them mounted ostensibly so the person working on the engine could see them. Probably most of them were actually more for looks. Either way, you have a great looking start!

Edited by oldcarfan
Added sentence

• 3 months later...

I got some paint shot this past weekend. Just pulled it out of the dehydrator to check the status. This is Kenworth green from Scalefinishes. It came out so good, I may be able to polish it out without clear, but I will likely clear it anyway, for added depth and protection from the polishing steps. The grill got botched and will have to be shot again, as I had it too close to the bottle of paint, and when I was topping off the airbrush, drip....right in the grill.

SAM_0652.JPG

SAM_0655.JPGThe running boards are still masked off in this shot. I will let them rest in the dehydrator a few more days. This paint seems "tacky" to me. I shot the motor the same color a few weeks back, and it seems like it took ages to cure.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
added notes

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping to have Cricket done this weekend, but I cannot get the sub-assemblies together. For some reason the paint will not cure. This is Scalefinishes Peterbilt Green, acrylic enamel. I really like the color and it shot on very well. I put the body into the dehydrator for several  days, and it leveled out great. I started with a 3400 grit sanding cloth, and worked up to 12000, and then back into the dehydrator where it set for several more days, and leveled out to where you would e left with only polishing.....BUT...it still has not cured. I talked to someone at Desert Scale Classic this weekend, who said that maybe I should by some hardener and when I use the acrylic enamels drop 4-5 drops into the 2 ounce bottles. Anyone else need to do that with some of these pre-thinned paints?  As it stands now, I will set this project back aside for as long as it takes the paint to harden up. I do not want to rush it, and mess up the still tacky paint as it cannot stand up to the handling needed for final assembly. It is not so bad that finger prints would happen, but there is a tack to it, so the dust on the fingers start to stick to the paint, and roughen up the surface. Anyone else have this issue?

Inline image

Inline image

Any rate, here it is mocked up. Nothing is glued, it is just sitting here. 

Inline image

Mark A Hubbard

"The art of conversation lies not only in saying the right thing at the right time,
  but in leaving unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment"