Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline - Custom - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

I've had this itch to do a full-on Custom, so while I was waiting for primer and paint to dry on the '59 Plymouth model, I started on this '51 Chevy Fleetline. I had sanded off the hood, trunk and side chrome along with all the mold lines some time ago which gave me a good head start on this project. I attached a custom front grille surround and rolled pan piece from the '50 Ford Convertible kit along with the rear rolled pan piece from the Fleetline kit. They are attached with liquid cement and any gaps were filled with CA glue and all was filed and sanded smooth. The windshield center post was removed. I carved out recesses in the rear fenders for aluminum teardrop taillight bezels that I got some time ago from Bob Dudek. Next I drilled 2 holes in the top of the passenger side rear fender and glued in 2 short lengths of plastic tubing again using liquid cement. These are for recessed or sunken antennas. I sanded them smooth with the top of the fender and again filled in any gaps with CA glue and sanded ot all smooth. I added thin strips of plastic to the front lip of the hood and to the rear driver's side corner of the hood using liquid cement to fill in some gaps and sanded it all smooth. The white strips of plastic you see at the bottom of the flush mounted skirts are to extend the skirts completely down to the bottom of the rear fenders, They will be sanded smooth with the skirts and even with the bottom of the fenders once the liquid cement completely dries.

1951CHEVYFLEETLINECUSTOMMODEL11024x640_z

1951CHEVYFLEETLINECUSTOMMODEL21024x757_z

1951CHEVYFLEETLINECUSTOMMODEL31024x763_z

The grille insert will be the '53 DeSoto tooth piece from the Revell '49 Merc kit.

1951CHEVYFLEETLINECUSTOMMODEL41024x746_z

For a color I'm thinking Duplicolor Navy Blue and possibly some White pinstriping. For wheels I know I'll go with wide whitewalls but I'm trying to choose between spinner hubcaps (my favorite) or chrome reversed wheels, or maybe Caddy Sombrero caps.

I've got a long way to go on this buildup. I haven't touched the engine (I think I'll go with a fully dressed straight six), the chassis or the interior yet.

I thank you for looking in on this Custom buildup. Further progress will be "reported" as it happens. Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys.

James, I also wish that Bob Dudek had LOTS more of the parts that he made, but he no longer has access to a CNC machine to make the parts. :( I'll also be using a set of aluminum "frenched" headlight bezels that he originally made for the Revell chopped '49 Merc kit...... they fit this car like a glove.......and...... I have one last set of his gorgeous Lake Pipes to use on this car too.

The front end of the Chevy needed some trimming to get the grille surround/rolled pan piece to fit in. It wasn't just a "drop in fit".

Mark, the Sombrero caps would probably look pretty good. My "personal" all-time favorite hubcap on a Custom is a '59 Dodge Royal Lancer 4 bar spinner. To my taste, it is the "ultimate" spinner hubcap. I've already used it on several models so maybe......just maybe...... I'll change this time around.

Thanks Carl. To get the grille shell piece to fit I first trimmed off about 1/4 inch of plastic at the bottom front of the wheelwell opening for the wraparound part of the rolled pan to seat properly and I added some pieces of sheet plastic to widen the outside edges with liquid cement and CA glue and sanded it all smooth following the curve of the pan. I also had to enlarge the grille opening for the grille surround to "set into" the front end rather than sticking out too far. .

Edited by Ramfins59

Rich, I've built several of those cars, as I really like their looks.

One thing I learned about the kit, is that gluing the inner fenders and firewall to the body first thing, and not as the instructions say to, helps a lot to have the front end all aligned.

This is how I've being doing 1951 Chevys, and since then I had zero problems making the front end parts to align properly.

13481282734_5516e003e8_c.jpg

13480924475_ed0283a433_c.jpg

13481037033_9ba3ed5c71_c.jpg

Rich, I've built several of those cars, as I really like their looks.

One thing I learned about the kit, is that gluing the inner fenders and firewall to the body first thing, and not as the instructions say to, helps a lot to have the front end all aligned.

From experience, this is good advice.

Thanks again guys.

Tulio, I totally agree with you about keeping the front end aligned. I attached the custom front end piece before I cut out the piece that was molded across the top of the engine compartment, the straight piece marked "REMOVE". That kept it all aligned properly. I'm planning to smooth up the inner fenders and firewall for a cleaner, custom look once I'm completely done working on the body..

Nice job on the front end, Rich. It looks good.

I like the paint idea; for wheels, I'd definitely do the sombreros- the rounded shape compliments the car nicely.

Tullio- good tip for building these. Getting everything together has always been my problem with these- I'll try your method.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie.

Some progress made today but nothing worth taking a picture of. I sanded the ejector pin marks from the underside of the hood and the interior roof. The plastic strips at the bottom of the skirts are all sanded and shaped. I drilled small depressions about 1/4 inch below the headlight openings for amber MV lens turn signals, and drilled mounting holes in the A pillars for dummy spotlights. A mounting hole was also drilled in the top of the driver's door near the vent window for a peep style rear view mirror. The firewall has been sanded smooth along with one of the inner fenders. I'll finish the other one tomorrow. I've had enough sanding for one day.