Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Edsel

StevenGuthmiller

Hi Lee! Good to see another Minnesotan on here. No, it's not a resin. It's an old AMT "Junior Trophy Series" kit Those were the kits designed for young kids many years ago. Yesterdays equivelant to todays "snap kit". Pretty much the same as the annuals/ customizing kits, just minus all of the custom parts.

Steve

President Red and Snow White, and some of the smoothest foil work I've ever seen. Looking forward to more! (When you do the dash, the gauge faces should be light metallic green.)

I built one in the late '70s - light blue with a white top and spear. Ron Merkel fell in love with it and I traded it to him for an unbuilt IMC '48 Ford convertible; he sent me a photo of it afterwards posed against a mountain/forest backdrop saying it was one of his favorites.

Very cool Chris!! Thanks! Now I don't need to search for reference material at least when it comes to the dash. Problem is, all of these old kits used convertible interiors for the hard tops, so they can never really be accurate. At least not without a butt load of work. Started on the interior this weekend & knowing that the hard tops had cloth inserts in the seats, I decided to do a sort of "checker board" pattern. Not accurate but should add a little interest any way. Steve

Trying to add a little texture to an otherwise drab interior. All of these old AMT kits used the convertible interiors for the hardtop kits, so short of totally revamping the interior I decided something resembling a cloth interior would add a touch of interest. I know it's not a factory stock upholstery pattern, but I think it'll look good when it's done. Just in the rough stages now. Got a long way to go! By the way, this pattern was all done with paint & masking tape. Steve

Steven, that looks great.

I scored an original, unbuilt and unpainted '59 Edsel kit on EBAY a couple of months ago which was only missing the chassis which I got from Modelhaus at NNL East. It is in my To Build pile for this year with a BUNCH of other 50's cars. I hope I can get it to look as good as yours.