Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Studebaker Turbine Truck

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask exactly how you got such a clean bend at the end?

I cold bend the brass strip over/around a piece of brass rod half way, holding one end with a pliers, then close the eye end by carefully bending it the rest of the way. Sometimes I have to cut off a bit of the bent end and re-do it, such as when I bend it too tightly, so there is some trial and error, and it's easier when there's an eye at only one end.

Speaking of eyes, I bent the eyes on the front springs, but will have to wait to bend the rear eyes after I've established the rear spring brackets and make the shackles. I cut off the rear spring mounts which I previously attached to the frame, cut them down a bit, and made them the front mounts, using some modified H-beam styrene for the new U-shaped channel support/bracing:

7655482e-815c-487e-bf13-515be0df1dc4.jpg

e887aa25-f0e9-4740-bc7b-76b254858ba9.jpg

acc54abb-7914-4d5f-a2a2-47ccfc6f7973.jpg

I still need to add some bolt detail to the brackets, and/or some flanges, too. I have the spring length set, so next step of to make the rear spring mounts and shackles, then bend the rear spring eyes on the main leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling motivated (thanks, Jeff), I got work making the other rear leaf spring, as well as the remaining leaves on the side I previously started. The eye bending went smoothly, so I removed any burrs after trimming each leaf to length, then rounded all the long edges over slightly to ensure there'll be a small shadow between each leaf:

9723f82e-2915-48e9-8702-203728505f01.jpg

6774c50a-6188-48aa-964f-6bffea2bf948.jpg

Comparison shot of the new brass (missing the lowest/shortest leaf) and old styrene leaf springs:

29fb876a-3a29-44cb-9d9e-5028047a5253.jpg

I also removed the molded on spring saddle brackets from the equalizing beams, drilled out the pivot bores at both ends, and test fit some brass tubing in the bores:

2a064a16-5321-4f89-bd8c-ab33ef10cde1.jpg

It's always good to make progress. ^_^

I used white resin to fill in the equalizing beams' recesses a bit, allowing me to cover the two ejector pin marks present in each recess, instead of needing to scrape and sand the marks away. The still-liquid resin is able to flow and seek its own level, and a little bit of surface tension inside the recess was a good thing, too, as the recesses ended up with nice and smooth:

bf0d62b8-e6d7-4433-91d5-32974c687262.jpg

I also filed and sanded the brass bushing at both ends of the beams to the correct width, so once the brackets on the axle housings are fine-tuned for width, I'll test fit everything together. The center bushing below has yet to be cut to length:

d7cf8e3d-8bc9-40f3-8f70-c933547504c9.jpg

I almost finished the front leaf springs, and luckily both main leaves ended up the same length. Always good when that happens. :D I added some small brass rod inside each main springs' front eye, loosely bolted both front spring ends in place, then cut and stacked the remaining leaves:

7253d574-303e-4b62-8e87-a3b0b986a83e.jpg

d8e93644-f591-4bbc-9bff-eab2c794a526.jpg

I will go back and fine-tune the arch of each leaf, but I was able to drill the holes for the center bolt drilled through each leaf on one side, then re-stack and bolt them all together for a test fit...some tweaking will be necessary. -_-

786015c8-33fc-49ef-80b4-60ab23ef995d.jpg

Thanks, guys. ^_^

Tonight I added the leaf spring shackle brackets to the frame, set the leaf springs in position on the frame to make sure the rear spring eyes were positioned correctly, then checked how much clearance there was between the bottom of the engine and the top of the front beam axle:

84d2c428-177a-4dac-8779-1fe071003bfe.jpg

89386bc1-7e08-4bd8-a9d8-7419206c1b91.jpg

Not much. :huh: I have plenty of clearance, actually, since the height of the shackles wasn't even factored in yet, so no there will be no need to add a clearance bend to the axle. Before I added the rear shackle mounts I had to remove the mid-engine mounts, as they were sitting in the same spot on the frame rails. I will make a semi-circular mid-engine mount similar to the front engine mount, so that should provide mid-engine support and harmonize things a bit more.

6e232fe3-cf93-469b-ac52-e36c48a79d28.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Casey those springs look fantastic . Your axel is not seated all the way to the springs BTW.

Thanks, Dave, and you're right about the axle. The two inboard axle locating ribs had yet to be removed when I took the above picture, but they've since been removed. The axle is from the AMT GMC Astro 95 kit, so the width between the spring packs was a bit different compared to the C-series springs/frame.

I finally got four shackle pieces made from brass strip, and repositioned the rear shackle mounts on the frame for the third time:

9e8f1c46-9d96-4cf0-a573-d02f29b2de82.jpg

1599abcc-02ac-45f3-bc61-471e9e81d2e4.jpg

2a82265d-aec9-4b6e-aabb-203bff2135ff.jpg

I decided to remove the axle housing-to-equalizing beam tabs, as the mounting/pivot holes were huge, and the plastic was very fragile and thin. I will use some metal, bend it and shape it, then use epoxy to permanently attach it to the axle housing. That will give everything a lot more strength and ensure nothing breaks should the suspension ever move through it's full range.

I also found some .010" clear packaging "window" material which I'm going to use for the door and side window "glass," so that should add a few more months of work. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys.

I ordered some p/e frets from Dirt Modeler with the hope that some of the brackets would replace the now-removed molded in axle housing brackets, and it turns out some of the Lenco trans mount brackets were a near perfect fit. Plus, the brackets already have a perfectly sized and centered hole pre-drilled for the mounting bolt, making assembly much easier, too:

cd3e8252-149c-4419-890e-9a0c6a5feb1d.jpg