Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Roadmaster

No Rich. It's an original AMT annual. I actually picked this one up on e-bay as an intact built kit for a pretty reasonable price. Had a very minor chip on a fin tip & 2 broken chassis mount posts. Both easy fixes. Of course, these '58 Buicks, along with the '58 Bonneville didn't originally come with the stock hubcaps, so this one's getting a set of Modelhaus 2 bar spinner Buick wires. In my opinion, a vast improvement over the stock Buick caps anyway. I sanded off the "wimpy" door handles & will add a set of chrome ones from, most likely, a '55 Chevy kit. I'm also probably adding a continental kit. :) Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! Didn't realize how much of a pain picking out all of those little "squares" on the grille would be! :blink: Making good progress though. Hoping to finish up sometime this week. Sorry, I had to delete the original photos from this post. Over did my up loads a little! :) Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks Froghawk. I use the same technique I've been using for 20 years. I paint over the entire area with acrylic craft paint, (Delta Ceramcoat to be exact) & then rub off the areas that I want the chrome to show through with the point of a tooth pick. You can do the same thing with Testors enamels, but that sticks a little better and some times won't rub off completely or as cleanly. I use both, depending on what I'm doing. The Ceramcoat also works great for painting door gaps & the like. I just flow slightly thinned paint into the gaps & then just rub the excess off of the body with a damp cloth. Steve

Thanks Froghawk. I use the same technique I've been using for 20 years. I paint over the entire area with acrylic craft paint, (Delta Ceramcoat to be exact) & then rub off the areas that I want the chrome to show through with the point of a tooth pick. You can do the same thing with Testors enamels, but that sticks a little better and some times won't rub off completely or as cleanly. I use both, depending on what I'm doing. The Ceramcoat also works great for painting door gaps & the like. I just flow slightly thinned paint into the gaps & then just rub the excess off of the body with a damp cloth. Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll give that paint a try. I've tried a similar technique with other paints but getting it rub off with a clean edge was a problem.

That's right Froghawk. A clean edge can be a problem. I use the "Ceramcoat" for things like grilles, door lines, etc. where you have a "deep" recess to fill. With other things, for instance, painting the white background on a '55 Chevy hubcap or the side trim, I use Testors Enamel for that. Gives a cleaner edge. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller