Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Edsel, Update 7/6 Finished!

It should be a fun one guys! Charlie, the color I've chosen for this one is called "Bronze Rose". I have a bottle of a 1962 Mopar color called "Luminous Brown" that looks very close. Pretty much a reddish medium brown. Not to everyones taste, I know, but you know me, I like the more unusual colors. If nothing else, it'll be different! :) Hard to get the right light for a photo, so I took a couple that would give the best idea of what it looks like. I believe photo #2 is probably the closest representation. :) Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

That's going to be another nice one. Here's my convertible I wanto to do. I have done the bodywork, and it's ready for primer.

2009_1017mamameetingoct090050.jpg

I have a convertible too Ron. As a matter of fact, I picked up the convertible a while back, & then when the opportunity arose to get a hardtop body, I snatched it up! For some reason the hardtop kit seems to be much harder to come by. Steve

Think I know the answer already, but... will you be combining the Edsel with the newer '60 Ford kit for the chassis/engine? I've wondered how the new innards would fit the old body. (If you do, the Edsel's wheelbase is 1" longer than the Ford - the rear axle was moved back on the springs.)

No Chris. I'll be building it as a curbside. I just can't bring myself to cut up a vintage kit. Especially one as nice as this. I might consider it if it were a glue bomb or an otherwise damaged kit. But I figure in order to keep it some what stock, I'd have to use the original interior tub anyway so why spend a bunch of extra time & effort detailing an engine & chassis. :) Steve

I have a convertible too Ron. As a matter of fact, I picked up the convertible a while back, & then when the opportunity arose to get a hardtop body, I snatched it up! For some reason the hardtop kit seems to be much harder to come by. Steve

Steve,

For the past couple of years, I have been on a 1960 kick. I guess it is because they are among the earliest cars I actually remember, as I was born in late '56. It seems to me that the 1960 model year was a time when a lot of my family mambers bought new cars, and I remember all of them. The cars were:

Dad: 1960 Bonneville Convertible- Coronado Red w/Red Tri-Tone Leather Interior, and Red Convertible top. (Signature)

Uncle John: 1960 Ford Sunliner Convertible- Black w/Black/White Interior and White Convertible top. (Avitar)

Grandpa: 1960 Mercury Monterey 4-Door Phaeton (Harctop)- Sultana Turquoise w Turquoise and Black Interior. (When I find another one)

My neighbor across the alley had a Roman Red '60 Impala 2 -door hardtop. I was kind of an oddball, as on Christmas of 1959, I got a red Kiddie-Bird 1959 Chevrolet Pedal Car, which has disappeared from my grandmother' s house mysteriously after I grew up. The acquisition of the Edsel Convertible was unexpected, and kind of expensive. When I was a kid, one of my neighbors who lived in the next block had a Beige '60 Edsel Ranger 2 door hardtop, which I thought was a nice looking car. I am plodding along with my current project, a 1960 Ford Country Squire. I have not posted any pictures of it in the past week. Last Sunday, I upgraded the interior to closely match the factory Country Squire interior pattern for 1960. I still have a few things to do before paint. The humidity here has not let met shoot any paint over the last few days.

I love the work that you are doing with these 1960 cars, and I look forward to your posts.

Another great project, Steve! The Bronze Rose is a really nice color choice. Are you doing a two-tone, maybe with "Polar White" or "Sahara Beige"?

My build of this kit is the oldest one in my collection. Built from a fresh kit in 1976! Duplicolor lacquer pale yellow touchup for Ford Granada to represent Edsel's "Buttercup Yellow." Gotta love the simplicity of four screws and two wire axles!

ranger1-vi.jpg

ranger2-vi.jpg

Ron. I've been on a 1960 kick myself lately. More just because I love the 60s & they're just way under represented in todays kit line up. I've recently finished Plymouth, Dodge, Oldsmobile, Buick & Mercury & still have Chevy, Pontiac, Lincoln, Chrysler & Imperial to go. Froghawk. That's a beauty my friend!! I hope mine comes out that well! Thanks guys! Steve

Steven, your goal to build every 1960 car is like my ambitious goal to try to build every car from the 1950's. It's a fun challenge isn't it???

It is Richard! Not so much 1960 for me. That just happens to be the "heart" of the era that I love! From about 1958 to around 1962. With a few other "variants" thrown in here & there. :) Steve

Color looks dark but it should look great on the model..

You're right Carl, it does look pretty dark. One thing I have learned with this MCW paint is that it "usually" looks darker in the bottle than on the kit. Plus I almost always use white primer, even with a darker color. Lightens them up a bit. Generally, I'm not a big fan of dark colors. We'll see what happens. :) Steve

Color # 1. Put the color coats on the top tonight. The color is actually 1958 Plymouth "Buckskin Beige", but for this purpose, we'll call it 1960 Edsel "Sahara Beige". :) I'm hoping it will go well with the metallic brown I'm using. She'll dry tonight & then the body will get color coats tomorrow. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Good call to two-tone it. I think with that dark a color, it absolutely needs some type of contrast on that car.

The interior was a gold color. The brochure had some nice pictures of it, and I think that together will sum up to a beautiful car.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie. I was torn between this beige & "Wimbeldon White". I thought the beige would be a little more interesting. I was planning on a sort of metallic light & medium beige 2-tone interior. I guess you could call that gold. :) I'll have to give it some more thought before I tear into it. Some times coming up with a good interior match can be a little tough. Steve

I built one of those in 1961. You could always find good sales on year old 3 in1's - who wanted a year old model? Didn't do a very good job on it and don't know what ever happened to it. If anybody still has it now could you please return it to me? I promise to do better this time! :D