Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Hemi Cuda 'vert sells for $3.5M

What's wrong with that? It's done with fine art all the time. Nobody buys the Mona Lisa so they can hang it in their den. Nobody would buy the rarest stamp in the world so they can slap it on an envelope and mail a birthday card. Nobody would buy a priceless Stradivarius so they can jam with the guys in the garage.

I know, I know, a car is meant to be driven.

But not a one-of-kind, $3.5M car.

Harry, multi-million dollar Stradivari are used by the world's top violinists in concerts. Several are on lifetime "loans" to certain virtuosi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stradivarius_instruments

The sound quality actually improves with age as does the provenance if the instrument is played regularly especially by competent hands. But then again, Stradivari are meant to be played as intended by the maker. Porsche also loans out their museum cars to distinguished pilots for occasional forays notably Goodwood. At the very least, they fire up the engines once in a while:

Sadly I think it's a dying market much like the muscle car boom we experienced down here. Sure it's worth big bucks to a select market now but once all us old guys that remember them die the younger generations wont want an old car regardless of if it's the only one numbers matching one with a 4 speed.

GT Falcons, Brock Commodores, Monaros and a heap of others down here sold for crazy dollars 3 to 4 years ago, they've all dropped in price since, including a GT that sold for close to a million dollars that was a one of one build.

Time will tell, give it 20 years and see what it's worth.

Cars are meant to be driven,regardless of price.You think the first few owners of that 'Cuda worried about denting it? I doubt it.

And stamps are meant to be used as postage. If you owned the world's rarest stamp, would you use it to mail an envelope?

Well , let's see here ...

1971 Hemi'Cuda Production

Hardtop (BS23R1B) = 108

Convertible (BS27R1B) = 11

I don't have a breakdown of options , transmission , etc. , nor do I have a breakdown of the shipments of the hardtops ; however , I have the following numbers on convertible shipments :

7= U.S.

2= Canada

2= Export

All are amazingly accounted for (!!) .

I've seen 1 of the 2 Canadian cars ; an at-the-time , 30,000 miles , 100% original , heavily-optioned model ( EV2 Tor-Red , V2 Tor-Red interior , AM-Cassette-Recorder , etc.) .

I've seen both of the Export cars . Both were shipped to France ; one is GA4 Winchester Grey , the other is GW3 Sno-White .

One has the highest sequence number , the other has the lowest sequence number ; both respectively alleged to be the 1st and the other the last off the line at Hamtramck .

If I remember correctly , the one in question here (the $3.5 million car at Mecum) had only one option : The Super Performance Axle Package ( 4.10 geared Dana 60 ; 7-blade clutch-drive fan ; Maximum Duty Cooling , and ; Power Disc Brakes ) . The Torqueflite was standard with the Hemi (and the 440+6 for that matter) , so that doesn't count as an option .

I first read about this very car back in c.1996 , when it sold for a then-record $350,000 :)

One thing I wonder about the car is if it really came from the factory with the steel wheels and hub caps? I would think a car like that would have had at least a set of ralley wheels or even Magnum 500s. A Hemi 'Cuda convertible is hardly a base model. The steel wheels and hub caps are so overdone anymore. Especially on Mopars seems like. They look cool on the right (base model) car. But, they look cheap on a nice car.

You can't repaint/rebuild a stamp, coin, or painting/sculpture if heavily damaged.

Cars can be rebuilt/restored from a tach needle. Case in Point, Auto Union C, and a very early Porsche Gmund coupe 356 that was at best a tach needle, build plate, and oil filler cap to start with.

Original cars are devalued some by rebuilds, but as long as parts original, value changes little.

I've owned, driven, and vintage raced some pretty valuable cars, and never cared if they got damaged. It's a car, it can be fixed, even restored to better than new. $3M car gets $300k damage, that's only 10% of value. You don't insure cars like that for anything but total loss, theft, and liability. Premiums nuts, better to bank premium and invest it, use if needed. Raced at Historics, then showed at Pebble, FCA nat'l meet, took classes with minimal cleanup.

Pebble Beach has the PB Tour, if concours cars tied on points, car that completes drive or raced at Historics gets points for being used.

Drive'em. Too big for paperweights. Price is relative, I think 3.5M for that 'Cuda is stupid, and the owner ground out 200k with lots of drama. Rather have a Duesenberg, pre-war Bugatti, Ferrari, or good vintage racer for that. Less money, and more potential for appreciation vs. top of market sale.

Same reason people use Stradivarii, hang art in galleries, etc. Share and use, but protect from loss. Investments ultimately in that price range,

Well , let's see here ...

1971 Hemi'Cuda Production

Hardtop (BS23R1B) = 108

Convertible (BS27R1B) = 11

I don't have a breakdown of options , transmission , etc. , nor do I have a breakdown of the shipments of the hardtops ; however , I have the following numbers on convertible shipments :

7= U.S.

2= Canada

2= Export

All are amazingly accounted for (!!) .

I've seen 1 of the 2 Canadian cars ; an at-the-time , 30,000 miles , 100% original , heavily-optioned model ( EV2 Tor-Red , V2 Tor-Red interior , AM-Cassette-Recorder , etc.) .

I've seen both of the Export cars . Both were shipped to France ; one is GA4 Winchester Grey , the other is GW3 Sno-White .

One has the highest sequence number , the other has the lowest sequence number ; both respectively alleged to be the 1st and the other the last off the line at Hamtramck .

If I remember correctly , the one in question here (the $3.5 million car at Mecum) had only one option : The Super Performance Axle Package ( 4.10 geared Dana 60 ; 7-blade clutch-drive fan ; Maximum Duty Cooling , and ; Power Disc Brakes ) . The Torqueflite was standard with the Hemi (and the 440+6 for that matter) , so that doesn't count as an option .

I first read about this very car back in c.1996 , when it sold for a then-record $350,000 :)

I believe the sno-white car is also the ONLY 1 of the 11 that came optioned WITHOUT the billboard call-out decal? That would have to add to it's value for sure ?

One thing I wonder about the car is if it really came from the factory with the steel wheels and hub caps? I would think a car like that would have had at least a set of ralley wheels or even Magnum 500s.

Plain steel wheels with hubcaps was standard fare on 'BH' (Barracuda) and 'BS' ( 'Cuda) . The oft-misnamed 'Magnum 500 wheels , whose name is actually 'Road Wheels' were an option with any model / engine combo except with the 426 Street Hemi , where 15" wheels were mandatory (1969-1871) .

A Hemi 'Cuda convertible is hardly a base model.

"Base Model" , being , in this case , a (almost) zero options model .

The steel wheels and hub caps are so overdone anymore. Especially on Mopars seems like.

They were more common than you think . If any-thing , 'Rallye Wheels' and 'Road Wheels' (colloq : 'Magnum 500') are overdone . I've always embraced the plain wheels with base hubcaps , even back when I first got into cars . Every-one thought that I was crazy for liking that plain look !

The steel wheels / hubcaps arrangement is some-thing which all manufactures did . How many Nova / Chevy II models do you think left the assembly line with Rallye Wheels ? Not very many . Sames goes for the Duster , Dart , Demon , Dart Sport , Road Runner , Mustang , Javelin , etc. , etc. , etc.

They look cool on the right (base model) car. But, they look cheap on a nice car.

If this car wasn't as close to 100% as possible , its value --on the bidding block-- would have diminished "x" amount .

Edited by 1972coronet

I believe the sno-white car is also the ONLY 1 of the 11 that came optioned WITHOUT the billboard call-out decal? That would have to add to it's value for sure

The Sno-White export model is , indeed , Stripe Delete . It also does not have a radio , as European frequencies are ostensibly different , thereby making a U.S.-spec receiver useless .

If I had the opportunity to order a 1971 'Cuda brand new , I also would've checked the 'Stripe Delete' box ;) .

I believe the sno-white car is also the ONLY 1 of the 11 that came optioned WITHOUT the billboard call-out decal? That would have to add to it's value for sure ?

Actually, that may have hurt it when it was just a old musclecar, now that it's an uber rare collectable, that now would help add to the car's value since it makes it more rare than others.

If I had the opportunity to order a 1971 'Cuda brand new , I also would've checked the 'Stripe Delete' box ;) .

John...."Amen" to that Of course, if I had the opportunity to order, I would have ordered a '70 - instead of '71 - Hemi 'cuda convertible. The '70 was the original of that third gen 'cuda, and SO much more of a clean, uncluttered design, 'Billboard' notwithstanding. Then again, if I had had the opportunity, I would have gone with the '70 340 'cuda convertiblerather than a Hemi, hands down. Now I'm dreamin' for sure!

Two more comments on this thread - there is a very informative article on hemi 'cuda convertible pricing in the current issue of Mopar Collector's Guide. Suffice it to say, the author was arguing that E Body Hemi pricing - which had reportedly taken a dip post-'08/'09 recession - was coming back strong. He predicted the auction last weekend would set a new record, but I doubt that he expected it to go so high. One other reason this one brought such a price was that it was reportedly more original (rather than rebuilt) vs. most of the other '71 hemi 'cuda converts out there. TB

John...."Amen" to that Of course, if I had the opportunity to order, I would have ordered a '70 - instead of '71 - Hemi 'cuda convertible. The '70 was the original of that third gen 'cuda, and SO much more of a clean, uncluttered design, 'Billboard' notwithstanding. Then again, if I had had the opportunity, I would have gone with the '70 340 'cuda convertiblerather than a Hemi, hands down. Now I'm dreamin' for sure!

With A/C and power windows, too! And a Torqueflite!

With A/C and power windows, too! And a Torqueflite!

,,,back in the day, I would have passed on the A/C and Power Windows (too much weight, too much to go wrong), but the Torqueflite would have been a must! (Didn't really learn how to run a 4-speed manual until eight years later when I learned on a '78 Ford Fiesta(!) - not my car - and back then the Torqueflite was also a 'hot' ticket (double entendre intended) for the street drags...).TB

Edited by tim boyd

• 4 weeks later...

From what I remember the only 71 Hemicuda convertible WITH a billboard stripe, was the orange Canadian car that was spoken about earlier. All other had none.

There is a third export car, but it is a rebodied car. It is Show White and a French car, as well, like the other two exports.

From what I remember the only 71 Hemicuda convertible WITH a billboard stripe, was the orange Canadian car that was spoken about earlier. All other had none.

There is a third export car, but it is a rebodied car. It is Show White and a French car, as well, like the other two exports.

I don't know where you've gotten this information from... But it's incorrect. Only 1 of the Hemi 'verts came WITHOUT the Billboard decal & there is no 3rd export car.

I don't know where you've gotten this information from... But it's incorrect. Only 1 of the Hemi 'verts came WITHOUT the Billboard decal & there is no 3rd export car.

The billboard question I can't answer.

BUT,

I am almost certain there were 3 export 1971 Hemi Cuda verts produced.

1 - winchester grey

and 2 white cars

ONE of the white cars is a rebody using SOME of the original cars drivetrain to get the vin number

The billboard question I can't answer.

BUT,

I am almost certain there were 3 export 1971 Hemi Cuda verts produced.

1 - winchester grey

and 2 white cars

ONE of the white cars is a rebody using SOME of the original cars drivetrain to get the vin number

You could be right about 3 exports, that I'm actually unsure of myself, but according to an article in Hot Rod magazine a few years ago now, the owner of 2 of these Hemi 'verts ( at the time he owned 2, one of which was the White Billboard-delete car ) He said it was THE only one out of the 11 that came billboard delete.

Not 100% sure . But I think the yellow one that used to be in the Kevin Snodham ( sp ck ) collection in washington state, ( aka ,the former Otis Chandler aka Steven Segal car out of New Jersey ) . is a non billboard car . This is the car the Nash Bridges series car was patterned after

I know the winchester grey car when 1st shown didn't have the billboard decal but I see now it does,,which way is correct ? no idea