Model Cars Magazine Forum

While I was waiting for my resin casts to set up I found this old Novo kit in a plastic bag with a coloured instruction card stapled to it................

1_zps179a4e1e.jpg

5_zps6de64c59.jpg

4_zps395e025c.jpg

3_zpsc1cd1002.jpg

2_zpsbb17f3bd.jpg

When I put the old decals in warm water they collapsed so I looked in my decal box and found a couple of sheets of Colorado brand mixed alphabet and numbers for aircraft (although I use the larger numbers for racing cars). After they dried I sprayed on two coats of Plasti-Kote clear gloss.

I hope I don't offend any of the purists as the only red spray I have is Plasti-Kote metalic red and it's turned out great!

Thanks guys. No Scott it was built the the British planemakers De Havilland in 1934 for the MacRobertson_Air_Race. Three took part in the race and one of the three factory planes won it!

Turned out brill, Pat. The kit is very interesting in that the package states "Made in USSR" but is printed in English. Must have been made towards the end of the Soviet era. I believe this plane's DNA carried forward to their immortal Mosquito Bomber/Night Fighter/Fighter Bomber and even further into their incredible post war Hornet. Wasn't there an early FROG kit as well?

Edited by mikevillena

No offense taken......

Looks good, but a light coat of semi- would make it look cool

No offense meant

Cheers

Bruce, no offense was intended. "FROG" is the name of the kit manufacturer and is not meant as an insult to the French. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_%28models%29

Interestingly enough, they re-branded the kits sold in France and the United States. I've built many of their kits. My favorite was the Arado 234 Blitz with the guided bomb. The only reason I brought up FROG is because the NOVO text style reminded me of the FROG kits. As it turns out, there is a connection between the two.

Similarly, J.A.P. engines are engines manufactured by John Alfred Prestwich and powered many a memorable British motorcycle and Morgan Three-Wheelers. I simply don't go around insulting people nor will I ever disparage their nationality.

Thanks guys, It was me who didn't want purists offended by my use of a metalic finish rather than a solid Red.

I understand that it was originally a Frog kit, and for some unknown reason the Russian kit manufacturer Novo bought the rights.

There is also information here in the UK that this was the forerunner design for the famous Spitfire fighter aircraft of WW2!

• 2 weeks later...