Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Corolla- It's got a Hemi!

Kit Basher

This is a model of the first car I bought. It did have a hemi, just not the one you're thinking of. This was the 1600cc, four cylinder variety. About 85 monster HP, if I remember right. It had the first 5 speed manual I ever saw. This was a great car for a twenty-something guy (reclining bucket seats! ;) ), and with gas as horribly expensive as it was (45 cents a gallon!) I could afford to drive it. It lasted almost 300,000 miles, and took me to 43 of the 50 States. It had a hard life, but I remember it fondly. Hope you like it.

The paint is Duplicolor, and the vinyl top is Rustoleum fine texture paint.

corolla010_zps4afd3ca3.jpg

corolla006_zpsb95f981a.jpg

I couldn't get a good picture of the vinyl top texture, but in person it looks really good, IMHO.

corolla012_zps0caf3586.jpg

I changed it to left hand drive, and tried to represent the genuine fake plastic wood grain on the dash.

corolla001_zpsdca9bdf0.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Ray! Your Corolla looks great. It looks like you painted the screw heads on the fender flares. I wasn't brave enough to try that. I don't think there were that many of the SR5 version in the U.S. In fact, mine was the only one I have ever seen. I've seen a few of the 1200cc models, but that's it.

Thanks Ray! Your Corolla looks great. It looks like you painted the screw heads on the fender flares. I wasn't brave enough to try that. I don't think there were that many of the SR5 version in the U.S. In fact, mine was the only one I have ever seen. I've seen a few of the 1200cc models, but that's it.

Cheers Hugh, yeah great little kit to build ;)

Some versions Down-Under had twin cam versions or serious mods to the original...

Thanks Jason. Your friend must have been very serious to get one stuck. I tried almost everything imaginable to get mine stuck, and never succeeded.

I ran snow tires on the back year round, the thing thought it was a Jeep!

I think there was at least four of us in it, and it got stuck in loose, recently tilled dirt. It essentially buried itself up to the floor. The two biggest guys, and me got out to push it, while the smallest guy drove it out. What we actually did, was pick up the rear like a wheelbarrow, and the driver gassed it. We pushed it forward about 5 feet, and when it landed the rear tire chucked a rock into my leg. I thought I had a broken bone, but it was just a lot of pain and blood.

Edited by Zarana-X

I think there was at least four of us in it, and it got stuck in loose, recently tilled dirt. It essentially buried itself up to the floor. The two biggest guys, and me got out to push it, while the smallest guy drove it out. What we actually did, was pick up the rear like a wheelbarrow, and the driver gassed it. We pushed it forward about 5 feet, and when it landed the rear tire chucked a rock into my leg. I thought I had a broken bone, but it was just a lot of pain and blood.

OUCH!!!

Neat model! I had a 1978 Corolla Deluxe wagon! It was my company car, and the first time I ever saw a 5 speed was right after someone dropped me off that the dealer to pick it up. Corollas were in short supply then and you got on a waiting list and took what was offered, so the next car in the queue was a standard shift, which I had never done before! A quick lesson from a salesman in the parking lot and I was let loose on New Jersey traffic. By the end of the day I had it mastered.

And back when all our US made company cars were disasters, this little Toyota was a gem! Never went back to the dealer, just routine maintenance and I put 100,000 miles on it in two years.