Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Falcon Station Wagon

Steve_L

Very nice Steve. I know you disliked the real car back in the day. But, what's your thoughts on Falcon wagons now. Looking at Mike Schnur's icon photo and his comments about '61 Falcon power plants. I'm guessing he knows a little bit about Falcons and her sisters, the Comets. And maybe about the 1960 Frontinacs too?

Scott

Very nice build, very convincing. Did Dad get the base 144 six, or the 170? The latter had much better power.

-MJS

MJS,

Dad was proud that he had gotten "the big motor." However, with only a two speed automatic and the weight of the 4-door wagon, the car did not perform well. I pushed it hard for two years, though, and it never let me down.

Steve

MJS,

Dad was proud that he had gotten "the big motor." However, with only a two speed automatic and the weight of the 4-door wagon, the car did not perform well. I pushed it hard for two years, though, and it never let me down.

Steve

My dad's '61 Comet 2-door sedan had the 144 with the three on tree. I wonder which was slower? The the slightly bigger Comet with the small engine, but manual transmission? Or a Falcon wagon with the big six and an automatic? Like your dad's Falcon, our Comet was dead reliable. Sorry to say, I was too young to drive the '61.

Scott

Very cool model Steve. Well done and a great family memory. I am just embarking on such a journey, having completed my sister in law's Chevette and about to start two more old family cars. Many guys won't get it, but it's a personal thing. Build on!

And why not a fun story... back when I started seriously dating a girl in 1978, her folks had two 1965 Falcons. Both six cylinder with three on the tree. The girl I dated learned to drive on those so she could drive a mean clutch! Her mother's car was a maroon 4 door sedan. But her father's car was a gold two door wagon. I lusted after that wagon and made him promise to sell it to me if he ever wanted to get rid of it. Then one day I drove up and there was a new used 1976 Maverick in the driveway. They had gone to Tom's Ford and bought it off the front row and traded in the wagon! Argh! So I ran there and asked about it. Turns out one of the mechanics scooped it right up. Within a few months it was driving around town with mags and a big V8. Yea, one of the many cars that got away!

It's late 1966, and my Mom due to her breakup with my Dad, now has to learn to drive. What was her first car?? A 1961 Ford Falcon two-door station wagon! It was two-toned silver and white (no luggage rack though). I can remember as a kid that it had a very peculiar sound to the starter------I wish there was audio here, I could sound it out for you! :lol:

Lots of memories with that car----my sister and I along with some neighborhood kids going to the Drive-In (remember those). My Mom being an auction nut, hauled home quite a few things in that Falcon. She only had the car about a year, and I can distinctly remember the car conking out in the middle of the intersection on the way home. This was at night, and my Mom not knowing a thing about cars, had some guys push the car over to the side of the street, where it sat for a few days.

My Mom decided to get an all new car.............a brand new for 1968 AMC Javelin which had just been intro'd that fall in '67.

Steve you did a great job in converting Modelhaus's Falcon into a four door! I didn't even know they had this kit. Thanks for bringing back some interesting and fun memories! :)

• 1 month later...

that wagon came out swell. my uncle had one with wood paneling and branding iron things on the seats. I remember it had vacuum windshield wipers so if it was raining and he was driving uphill, well, he'd have to back off the throttle to get in a few swipes of the blades and then punch it down again.