Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unfortunately, Skip, ours has become a society in which one cannot offend anybody via any means about anything. I'm offended by that, but does anyone care? Perhaps I'll sue... somebody!!! Darn it, who's responsible for this situation? :D

Seems like our national pastime has become "outrage." :rolleyes:

Yes, and I am outraged about that!!! :D

Remember when baseball was the "national pastime" and the country was a lot more mellow? Now, it's football- and we're no longer mellow. Go figure.

Well and reasonably stated, Skip. We've become a society riddled with obsessive, intolerant professional victims, all screaming 'me, me, mine, my way, GIVE it to ME! And don't ever utter or display anything that contradicts my way of thinking. I have ALL the rights and you have none!'

The tail wagging the dog.

And, on another ~ but similar ~ note, I saw a sign I really liked. it read, "Of course you should have to pass a drug test to get your welfare check, food stamps, housing subsidy, free child care, free healthcare, free education, free college, and free cell phone. I had to pass a drug test just to have a job to earn all those things for you."

B)

Edited by Danno

And, on another ~ but similar ~ note, I saw a sign I really liked. it read, "Of course you should have to pass a drug test to get your welfare check, food stamps, housing subsidy, free child care, free healthcare, free education, free college, and free cell phone. I had to pass a drug test just to have a job to earn all those things for you."

B)

I'd fall out of my chair laughing.........but it's to true...... :(

I went for my pre-employment drug test. The nurse said to me, "See that cup on the counter? Can you fill it for me?" I asked, "From here?"

LoL...one thing I've wondered is why some companies require it and others don't...must not be a state or federal law...large public Fortune 50 companies I've worked for required it, but small private companies haven't...

LoL...one thing I've wondered is why some companies require it and others don't...must not be a state or federal law...large public Fortune 50 companies I've worked for required it, but small private companies haven't...

Not required by law, except certain occupations such as truck driving, etc. Most private employers who have stringent policies and require drug testing do so out fear of liability if a toked-up employee does something that hurts someone. The more the assets, the more exposure (more to lose), so the bigger employers almost always require testing.

It's creating havoc in Colorado (and probably Washington), since recreational doobies are "legal" now. Most employers aren't convinced. So, you can smoke, but it could cost you a job because the liability is still there regardless.

I don't think it's a law, just a law that allows companies to do it? I was subject to one working as a consultant for a Fortune 100 company. Back in the days when I was an employee of that same company, employees were subject to it, but contract employees and consultants were not. I had two occasions where we offered a long time very good contract employee permanent employment and they both failed the drug test for pot. Company policy was to dismiss them, and we lost two very good persons.

I think that maybe smaller companies just don't want to pay the cost of testing. I know that many retail companies... Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc all have signs up that they test. Amazing that they can find employees these days. I remember back many years ago they were putting an addition onto the county jail and the requirement was that all contractor employees needed to pass a drug test and have a spotless criminal record... they had trouble manning the job!

I do believe this is a USA phenomena. I filled out an on-line application for a big international company a few months ago and had to sign off that I would accept a drug test. There was a disclaimer on it that said USA applicants only. Is this testing illegal in other countries?

Now with more states legalizing pot, and more to follow, what will the situation be? Will companies still test for pot? Will they say it's against federal law, so they still won't hire people who use pot? For instance, do employers in Colorado still test for pot, or just for the harder drugs now? It should get interesting. I recently was watching Pennsylvania public TV hearings on legalization here. I was amazed at the complete reversal of previous stances... they had the Chief of Police of Philadelphia, Chief of State Police from Maryland and others testifying that it should be legalized and that arresting people for possession is a complete waste of time and money. Amazing times we live in!

Skip, John, Harry, Danno, Paul,

Finally some voices of reason!!!!! You all have made some great points!

I know this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy of topic. I personally don't use pot anymore but in my time (60&70s) I bet I smoked a few garbage bags full (large size)

I feel our country is headed towards the legalization of pot and I don't have a problem with it. The biggest problem I see is how law enforcement will handle it on a wide scale with the OWUI Statues from state to state.

I give Hobby Lobby allot of credit for running their privately held company as they see fit (not because of their religious views) buy running a free enterprise freely in a free country!!!

Like many I have been in plenty of H.L.s across the country and I have never heard any pipe organs or religious points of view. Not even a God Bless You and the check out.

I think much of that discussion is the story of the tail gets longer the more it's told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda like the fish my buddies and I catch on our annual fishing trip.

Shop were you want to shop, makes no difference to me!

I operate 100 ton haul trucks and pot is legal here.

No it's not. Only legal in Colorado and Washington. In AZ only "medical marijuana" is legal, not general usage by anyone. You need a (fake) note from your, ahem... "doctor." :lol:

Sooooo... how's this Hobby Lobby place that I keep hearing about?

Way too scary to shop at. There are rabid bible pushers roaming the aisles, they play church music on the intercom, and when you check out they try to exorcise you!

:lol::lol::P

I don't think it's a law, just a law that allows companies to do it? I was subject to one working as a consultant for a Fortune 100 company. Back in the days when I was an employee of that same company, employees were subject to it, but contract employees and consultants were not. I had two occasions where we offered a long time very good contract employee permanent employment and they both failed the drug test for pot. Company policy was to dismiss them, and we lost two very good persons.

I think that maybe smaller companies just don't want to pay the cost of testing. I know that many retail companies... Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc all have signs up that they test. Amazing that they can find employees these days. I remember back many years ago they were putting an addition onto the county jail and the requirement was that all contractor employees needed to pass a drug test and have a spotless criminal record... they had trouble manning the job!

I do believe this is a USA phenomena. I filled out an on-line application for a big international company a few months ago and had to sign off that I would accept a drug test. There was a disclaimer on it that said USA applicants only. Is this testing illegal in other countries?

Now with more states legalizing pot, and more to follow, what will the situation be? Will companies still test for pot? Will they say it's against federal law, so they still won't hire people who use pot? For instance, do employers in Colorado still test for pot, or just for the harder drugs now? It should get interesting. I recently was watching Pennsylvania public TV hearings on legalization here. I was amazed at the complete reversal of previous stances... they had the Chief of Police of Philadelphia, Chief of State Police from Maryland and others testifying that it should be legalized and that arresting people for possession is a complete waste of time and money. Amazing times we live in!

Found this Tom, old info though.

http://www.staffingindustry.com/Research-Publications/Publications/CWS-3.0/Archive/2011/August-31-2011-Vol.-3.22/EU-Drug-Screens

Edited by Joe Handley

Way too scary to shop at. There are rabid bible pushers roaming the aisles, they play church music on the intercom, and when you check out they try to exorcise you!

Cool!! Sounds like some really good cheap entertainment to me. Even better than reality-TV or wrestling.

Only one out of three correct, Harry? You fail! ;) And here I thought you were smarter than that! :D

My kid sister worked for one not too far from you Harry, IIRC, the constant religious music got tiresome (although the Muzak part was probably more offensive...to me anyway :P ) Other than being closed Sundays and that Religious Muzak, at the time they weren't really shoving their religion down employee's throats, they did have books on the family's faith and it's involvement in the business for sale at the checkout. Never had anybody try to Exorcise any of us, although the reason my sister left was a crazy woman that did ot like her what so ever and had a tendancy toward acting out fairly violently in picture framing department they both worked in. There were attempts to get her punished for her actions until employees noticed she spent way more time in the office with the store manager that she should have. Mom even called corporate to complain a out this woman and when she got the brush-off from the person on the phone about it, she said something to the effect of "I thought this was a religious company?!", the woman on the phone just laughed at Mom. My sister still shops there, ut between this and their current actions, I won't anymore.