Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bogus Bands

Harry P.

I can see both sides of this. I can't imagine Zeppelin, the Who or Pink Floyd without the qualities the original members brought to the table (Yeah, I know, Roger Waters is a dorsal orifice, but he wrote a lot of quality material).

OTOH, I used to have a Uriah Heep album that showed all the different people who'd been it the band during its most productive years. If you didn't know better, you'd assume they just used the swing-a-dead-cat-till-it-hits-a-replacement method, with Mick Box as the only permanent member.

There's an Englishman named Pete Frame who has written/drawn several great books illustrating the "family trees" of rock bands. The trees illustrate the comings and goings of individual members, some passing back and forth between several bands before settling into the roles that they were best known for. He's covered a bunch of acts: everything from Fifties stuff to the late Seventies punk rock scene (probably more in later books), bands popular both in England and the USA. There are a lot of them that, by the end of their existence, were down to one founding member (a few even had nobody left from the original lineup at the end). They're loaded with interesting trivia too...if you see one, grab it. You'll get your money's worth in reading with any of them; even the bands you don't care about or have never heard of have interesting stories...

Interesting thread.

I will always be a fan of John Mellencamp, but his sound definitely changed when Larry Crane left the band many years ago.

If you've ever liked older Mellencamp, AKA Johnny Cougar, or any of his songs, what you really liked was Mellencamp with Larry Crane. Any talented guitar player in the world can play Pink Houses, Hurts So Good, Play Guitar or Jack and Diane, but no one in the world can play it like Crane can. It was lead guitarist Larry Crane, and honestly, drummer Kenny Aronoff, and guitarist Toby Meyers, among others, that gave Mellencamp his signature sound.

While it will never happen in a million years, I'd love to see Mellencamp and Crane on stage again.

There are exceptions to some replacements, well van hagar is an on going and probably forever argument, i for 1 like the sammy years. ACDC and Brian, it was a led zeppelin situation, keep going with a new guy or stop, glad they kept going and creating excellent music

Thing is, Bon Scott (who, of course, Brian Johnson replaced upon Scott's death) wasn't even AC/DC's original vocalist- he replaced the original vocalist, Dave Evans. In fact, it was Evans' son who was the one going on and on about the end of AC/DC after Malcolm Young's health issues earlier this year.

But, yeah, AC/DC is a prime example of how well a band can weather lineup changes. I mean- they've been through more drummers than spinal tap, and at least a couple of bass players. Despite that, you know exactly what you're getting when you hear AC/DC is putting out a new record.

Very true, another band with line up changes that have the fans arguing from here to there, Metallica. Im 1 that feels that they fell off after justice, but they produced decent music after. From Dave Mustaine being replaced, Cliff Burtons untimely death, Jason Newstead leaving with Rob Trujillo replacing. They produced decent songs on each album, but nothing like the stuff before justice. This is just opinion, im not a hard core, spit on their feet fan, but the last album i purchased was Garage inc. I did not and will not buy St. Anger or Death Magnetic. I did buy All Nightmare Long off itunes, only good song off death magnetic, IMO.

I really like Journey. Is it still Journey without Steve Perry, no. But the replacement guy does sound scary close.

Look at Aerosmith, they went through a brief line up change. Now they are still together, still going strong and sounding good.

A band that i think really should hang it up, is Bon Jovi. John does not have the power in his pipes anymore and they do not sound anything like Bon Jovi anymore, Johns voice and no Ritchie Sambora.

Another band with its ups and downs with different lead vocals, Anthrax. Im not sure if i can name every lead singer. They had goods and bads, then goods and bads again, along the way.

A band with ups and downs, glam band mediocre but sounds alright to listen to, but still the original members, Poison. Despite almost killing each other on numerous occasions, have weathered the storm. Like i said the music is the typical glam mediocre.

Def Lepard, has done pretty well after losing a member to his own demons, and almost another in an accident. Toughed out the rough stuff and still sound decent.

Edited by Petetrucker07

I saw Jane's Addiction in concert in 2009. Even with all the original members back together, it was still bogus. It felt like they were just phoning it in. My wife and I walked out barely 30 minutes into their set. At least we got our money's worth seeing Nine Inch Nails and Street Sweeper Social Club opening for them.

I really like Journey. Is it still Journey without Steve Perry, no. But the replacement guy does sound scary close.

isn't it amazing how well that guy...a guy who doesn't even speak English as his first language, can sound so good?

When i first heard that they were touring again with a new guy, from the Philippines, of all places, I was like "Pssst. Whatever. Dude will sound awful."

Shows how much I know!

Speaking of bogus bands... :D

One of my favorite bands is INXS. They have a ton of great songs that I really like. Anyway, you all know by now that their lead singer, Michael Hutchence, died several years ago under, uh... "mysterious" circumstances. Let's just say that. ;)

So I remember a TV reality show that was hosted by Brooke Burns (I think that's her name, she also co-hosted "Dancing with the Stars" for a while?) where the remaining members of INXS were looking to find a new lead singer. It was sort of like "American Idol" except the judges were all members of INXS and the contestants sang nothing but INXS songs. I remember that they did pick a new lead singer, but I seem to recall that it didn't work out and they fired the guy (or he quit, depending on whose story you want to believe). I don't know if INXS is still an active band or if they've called it quits, but they put out some really cool music over the years.

I think on Rockstar INXS her name then was Brooke Burke. I liked that show, till the next season when they tried to form some sort of "supergroup" i guess they were kinda callin it. Now that was lame. Jason Newstead, Tommy Lee, the guy that was in GnR at 1 point. The most talented out of that group was Tommy. I would not have called it a supergroup, or supernova, or anything super. The group never got goin. The INXS deal seemed cool, the guy they chose seemed cool, decent vocals. It couldve worked maybe, we will never know