Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 67 Camaro

Phildaupho

I just got this kit today. I have decided to go ahead and build it, as I am getting a backlog of kits piled up. If I don't build, I won't be able to buy all of the new releases that come out. I will build it box stock, probably not for a contest, but as a shelf model. I will follow the standard rules and build it with nothing but putty, primer, paint, flocking and foil. I will use the kit decals too. This can be a great way to learn about a kit. You can't make any major changes, so you have to live with the inaccuracies, and you see all of the construction glitches. This kit looks like it will fit pretty well. I will post as I go (probably in the workbench forum) once I get started. I am going to keep the build simple yet fun. I am not sure of the color yet, but I am looking at pictures on the net, and have a few ideas, both with and without stripes.

With all of the talk going on, I just want to build up the kit and see how it stacks up. Should be a nice looking Camaro when it's done, in spite of my lack of building skills!

While there are some things wrong with the racing version. It's closer, body wise, to what was raced in 67 than you might think. The hood may need to be changed, The actual roll hoop is pretty accurate. Even the Penske team raced a roll hoop with only down bars early in 67. It was only after Bud Moore and his Cougars showed up with a full NASCAR style rollcages that the high dollar teams started putting them in their cars. Even the Mustang Factory team started out the year with only a hoop and down bars. Moore had to prove how much chassie flex there was in the cars before Ford engineers would go along with rollcages. Also fender flairs were not allowed. If the minilite wheels are to small that would be a shame. As an aside the Camaro Z-28 was not really eligible for the 67 season but was still allowed to race. You were suppose to have a thousand units built to be homolagated for Trans Am Racing, I'm pretty sure that's not spelled correctly. Any way only around 700 Z-28's were built in 67. The engine, by the way, was a 327 block with a 283 crank. Ford raced the 289. At that time, 1967 no American Manufacture made a 302.

I would love to see Grumpy's Camaro be the next release! I am just thinking that AMT may have the licensing deal with his estate, since they released the '66 Nova. Hopefully it's not an exclusive agreement and Revell can put this one out. They would have to touch up the grille to make it a non SS car anyways, so they may fix the other glitches on the part too. My first thought when this kit was announced was to get the MCG '67 Camaro etched grille and put the parts together for this build. A Revell release of this version would be one of the few possible releases that would be a "sweeper" for me. "What is a Sweeper?", you ask A "sweeper" is a kit that goes to the top of the priority list so quickly that I bring it home from the hobby shop in one hand and use my free arm to sweep all of my existing projects off of my workbench and on to the floor! (The tongue in cheek term was coined back when I was in a College building club and the '66 Nova kit was released.)

If Revell did Jenkins' '67, they would also tool up some headers for it, giving us another parts option. Hopefully, they saw enough sales action on the Sox & Martin 'Cuda to convince them that the old doorslammers are pure modeling gold.

In looking over the parts quickly, I noticed that the body is really clean. There are only a couple of parting lines to deal with on the quarters, and they are very fine. I will have to sand the hood down a bit, as it is a snug fit with no paint. The front rollpan is separate, and like all models of the Camaros, Firebirds and Mopar E Bodies from this era, Fitting the completed chassis under the body may be a tricky deal. The chrome looks nice and the wheels seem decent. The engine and chassis parts have nice engraving and it looks at first glance like it will build into a sharp model. I will start cleaning up and gluing the parts tonight and paint some stuff later this week!

plowboy, I don't have the camera today, as it is out socializing with Cathie. If nobody else posts a good pic of the grille, I will try to get to it late tonight. Otherwise I can do it tomorrow. I don't know how good the photos will be, but you will be able to see the design of the grille. It is a bit weird, and is going to take some effort to fix. My first build of this car will be box stock, so I will have to live with it. Subsequent builds of this kit will use the MCG photoetch kit for the AMT Camaros. I will have to adapt the surround to the grille, probably, but like all of Revell's recent offerings, this one is in desperate need of emblems, so serious builds will need a Photoetch set anyways. I will use the decals for this build, as I am answering a challenge to build it OOB.

While there are some things wrong with the racing version. It's closer, body wise, to what was raced in 67 than you might think. The hood may need to be changed, The actual roll hoop is pretty accurate. Even the Penske team raced a roll hoop with only down bars early in 67. It was only after Bud Moore and his Cougars showed up with a full NASCAR style rollcages that the high dollar teams started putting them in their cars. Even the Mustang Factory team started out the year with only a hoop and down bars. Moore had to prove how much chassie flex there was in the cars before Ford engineers would go along with rollcages. Also fender flairs were not allowed. If the minilite wheels are to small that would be a shame. As an aside the Camaro Z-28 was not really eligible for the 67 season but was still allowed to race. You were suppose to have a thousand units built to be homolagated for Trans Am Racing, I'm pretty sure that's not spelled correctly. Any way only around 700 Z-28's were built in 67. The engine, by the way, was a 327 block with a 283 crank. Ford raced the 289. At that time, 1967 no American Manufacture made a 302.

A more accurate number of Z/28s built in 1967 was 602 units that rolled off the assembly line... And yes.. chevy was the first to come out with the 302...

Thanks Deuces. I knew it was less than 700 and more than 600 but didn't have my source in front of me at the time. A couple articles in SA, can I say that here, really got me interested in early Trans Am racing again. I bought a book called "The Cars of Trans Am Racing" which has a lot of info regarding the series and some really nice pictures although you do need to be careful because a lot of the pics are of restored cars. If you're interested you ought to pic up the book. Thanks for setting me straight.

To add to your information james, the rule book stated that engine displacement was limited to 5 liters, or approximately 305 cubic inches and Chevy didn't have an engine in that size so they created one with parts you mentioned.

I am looking forward to this kit and hope that there are many more versions of 67 Camaros on the drawing boards at Revell!