Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wagons that HAVE been kitted . . .

Uh, so far, I see nothing but station wagon kits being mentioned (with a couple of pics of the real thing to illustrate).

Art

Art!

Look at the first post. See at the bottom to the right of the picture of the Revell 57 Ford wagon? It is a link to someone's list of staion wagon kits. Look at it. It is very comprehensive. It even includes your 40 Ford woody wagon as the first kit on the 1940s page!!!!

That's what I am talking about.

Edited by Modelmartin

• 6 months later...

I question whether hearses, ambulances, and sedan deliveries count as station wagons. And Nomad was the top of the line 4-door Chevy wagon from 1958 through 1961. In '68 the name was attached to a low line Chevelle wagon through '72. There were even special versions of Chevy's G series vans in the late 70's using the Nomad name.

Scott

According to Stationwagons.com sedan deliverys station wagons count as station wagons. It stands to reason as the sedan delivery would be a regular wagon if the back side windows were glass.

According to Stationwagons.com sedan deliverys station wagons count as station wagons. It stands to reason as the sedan delivery would be a regular wagon if the back side windows were glass.

Agreed. It's a wagon... with no windows.

Sedan deliveries aren't wagons.

Actually, while sedan deliveries began as just that: 2-door sedans modified in the factories into delivery vehicles that still retained their 2dr sedan styling, by 1935 or thereabouts, the sedan delivery began getting its own body styling--with Ford and Dodge leading the pack.

By 1950, as wooden-bodied station wagons were disappearing from auto assembly lines in favor of all steel station wagons, it was only a matter of months before windowless station wagon body shells began appearing, with side opening doors (supplanted by the mid-1950's with one piece "liftgates", and the sedan delivery most of us know best was born--out of station wagon body shells.

Art

Station wagons have back seats and are designed to haul families not parcels. They also usually have 4 doors (although some have only 2) and windows also.

Sedan deliveries don't have back seats or windows.

It's two totally different styles with two different purposes.

Station wagons have back seats and are designed to haul families not parcels. They also usually have 4 doors (although some have only 2) and windows also.

Sedan deliveries don't have back seats or windows.

It's two totally different styles with two different purposes.

If it looks like a station wagon, it's a station wagon.

Exactly, and station wagons look nothing like sedan deliveries.

Okay, why are we arguing over this. In the days of woody wagons, sedan deliveries had very little in common with station wagons. By the 1950's, they were sharing basic bodies with the two-metal station wagons of the time. I consider sedan deliveries a seperate species from station wagons, mainly because they were sold as commercial vehicles/trucks by the manufactures at the time. Even the Vega panel was sold on the truck side of most bigger Cheverolet dealers at the time. But, that being said, I don't care if others want to include them in with the station wagons or not. There's enough similarities in the post war era, and they're pretty cool. You can include Rancheros and El Caminos with them at the same time.

But not panel deliveries or Suburban type carryalls based on trucks.

Scott

Oh! I need to throw one twist in here. How does one classify the the last Ford Courier sedan deliveries? They had glass on the sides like the 2-door Ranch Wagons, but came with only a driver's seat as standard equipment. And they are found not in Ford's wagon brochure, but in their truck brochures. From the out side, it looks like a wagon to me.

Too me, I would not classify it as a station wagon. It's was not designed to carry passengers like a station wagon, but rather cargo. That makes it a commercial vehicle to me. But, at the same time I would not kick out of a lineup of old station wagons at a show. Real or in model form.

Remember, not everything is black and white. There are lots of gray areas out there.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Everyone has the right to be particular...but to me, if it is a car with a "longroof" , windows or not, seats or not, rear doors or tailgate, I call it a wagon....Tomatoe, Tomahtoe. So cut out the windows on that delivery, and add a rear seat....nobody will know. Of course you are aware that some "sedan deliveries" of old were actually light trucks..and a truck in any form is NOT a station wagon..so nobody's wrong here. My vision of a "proper" station wagon goes back to my dad's Kingswood Estate with a 454..now THAT was a 'wagon that hauled! And it had four doors, rear seats and windows.

Okay, why are we arguing over this. In the days of woody wagons, sedan deliveries had very little in common with station wagons. By the 1950's, they were sharing basic bodies with the two-metal station wagons of the time. I consider sedan deliveries a seperate species from station wagons, mainly because they were sold as commercial vehicles/trucks by the manufactures at the time. Even the Vega panel was sold on the truck side of most bigger Cheverolet dealers at the time. But, that being said, I don't care if others want to include them in with the station wagons or not. There's enough similarities in the post war era, and they're pretty cool. You can include Rancheros and El Caminos with them at the same time.

But not panel deliveries or Suburban type carryalls based on trucks.

Scott

Of course, Ford, until 1940, marketed their station wagons in their "Commercial" catalog, as did Chevrolet back then as well. But, as a general rule, sedan deliveries, being passenger car-based, used station wagon body shells for years. In the middle 1950's, the US Government's General Services Administration began specifying that all sedan deliveries bought by GSA (for the military, for the Post Office Department, US Forest Service and the National Park Service be built with full side windows. Ford was the only automaker who stepped up to those RFP's, with their government contract Couriers having the same side windows as any Ranch Wagon. So, the "boundary" does become very blurred.

Art

Art is right about what he said above. Even though Ford advertised the Couriers with blanked out side panel in '57 and '58, serveral are out there with side glass because of what he said above. And all Ford Courier sedan deliveries in '59 and '60 had glass side windows. Ford went back to a true sedan delivery when they brought out the Falcon version in '61. The Falcon sedan delivery replaced the full-sized Courier for 1961. The new '61 Falcon Econoline panel Van also replaced the F-100 panel delivery. And yea, car based, Woody wagons in early days were looked at as being commercial vehicles up through the 1940's. This is why this issue has so many gray areas.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58