Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

Just as a point of reference, here's a resin '65 Comet Caliente that I bought off EBay a few years back.

65 Comet side

65 Comet front 1

65 Comet rear

There's also an interior (identical to the AMT '64 Comet I believe), a primitive chassis plate, and vacu-formed glass. Not completely terrible or un-buildable, but it was obviously going to take A LOT of work to look decent. I'll wait very patiently for the Moebius instead.

Just as a point of reference, here's a resin '65 Comet Caliente that I bought off EBay a few years back.

65 Comet side

65 Comet front 1

65 Comet rear

There's also an interior (identical to the AMT '64 Comet I believe), a primitive chassis plate, and vacu-formed glass. Not completely terrible or un-buildable, but it was obviously going to take A LOT of work to look decent. I'll wait very patiently for the Moebius instead.

I'm confused? Is that picture compressed, or what?

I've got the same one, Steve, picked up from an r&r supplier. In addition to it being a real turd, whoever cleaned up the casting slipped and wiped out half the lower windshield molding and one wiper. Maybe I'll try to adapt the front fenders to one of the falcon bodies...

Apparently perry's resin did one too.

mike 

65 Comet side

65 Comet front 1

65 Comet rear

The resin one I bought didn't even look that good...

That's easy. They stay in business because they offer something that cannot be had any other way... Most of them make no pretense of selling a complete kit or and easy to build kit..

That particular piece may very well be several years old  some Old resin tends to be pretty crude- alot of currently available resin transkits are of much higher quality..I actually have some that are so well cast that they look like styrene

That particular piece is certainly not un -buildable, it's not current state of the art, but it's not horrible either..

I wouldn't spend time trying to build it, but then, I've spent more time than I care to admit cleaning up and massaging pieces of resin girl kits (that's what I do for relaxation when I can find a little time)

015.thumb.JPG.83a6003f9c1610e82a893ef0b7

YES she is nekid!

Edited by Dave Metzner

Yup.  Somehow squished on devices, okay on big screens.

Gorgeous figure, Dave!  Too bad Revell's figure supplier couldn't take a cue from that on shading and detail washes; not only does their '72 Olds "Linda Vaughn" more closely resemble Judge Reinhold with a wig, it's made to look as if Judge/Linda had a VERY unfortunate accident all pooled up in the middle of her lap, thanks to a sloppy red wash application.

That's easy. They stay in business because they offer something that cannot be had any other way... Most of them make no pretense of selling a complete kit or and easy to build kit..

That particular piece may very well be several years old  some Old resin tends to be pretty crude- alot of currently available resin transkits are of much higher quality..I actually have some that are so well cast that they look like styrene

That particular piece is certainly not un -buildable, it's not current state of the art, but it's not horrible either..

I wouldn't spend time trying to build it, but then, I've spent more time than I care to admit cleaning up and massaging pieces of resin girl kits (that's what I do for relaxation when I can find a little time)

015.thumb.JPG.83a6003f9c1610e82a893ef0b7

YES she is nekid!

No she's not, she has shoes on!

Ok, now I see the problem with that resin Comet. It looks "squished" on my screen, too. I downloaded the photo to my desktop and opened it in Photoshop... and the body looks much better. I thought at first that the body actually looked like it looks on my screen, which is ridiculously distorted.

Ok then... not nearly as bad an item as I first thought.

Yes resin has come a long way in the past few years.  With Motor City Resin Casters, Modelhaus, and Missing Link Resin leading the way those old bodies look pretty rough.  Dave is right they provided bodies that we couldn't get anywhere else.  I don't think that Comet looks all that rough though.   

Yes, like I said - I don't consider this un-buildable by any means (especially considering the lengths I'm currently going to in order to build  a Kurtis Sport Car), but it makes all the difference when it's the only game in town. A few years ago when it didn't look like there was much of a possibility of getting a well detailed styrene kit of a '65 Comet I happily snapped this up when I had the chance. Not sure what I'll do with it now, but those are the breaks.

Edited by RancheroSteve

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, latest Cyclone news:

2nd test shots that were to be done at the end of November, are due to be sent out around 1/12... IF that happens as promised (please notice the word IF) I should see them at the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Hopefully the factory will not delay delivery of test shots again and will have made changes that they were asked to make after 1st test shots, we will see once I have pieces in my hands!

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Thanks for the update, Dave!  This one's definitely on my future purchase list.

I too want to thank Dave for keeping us updated. Not does Dave/Moebius offer great kits. But he/they listen us, and keep us up to date on a regular basis. Dave and Moebuis are the best. And I too am looking forward to the '65 Cyclone. Growing up with Mercury Comets (not Cyclones though, I'm sorry to say), I naturally have a soft spot/interest in these cars.

Great to hear.  I hope it's as nice as the Ventura!  I don't buy as much as I used to, but a nice Cyclone with a few variations could pry my wallet open more than once.  (Hint, Hint.  A nice base model Comet would be great!)  Another cool thing about this kit, even though I shouldn't say this on a Moebius thread, is that it will probably cause Round2 to release their 1964 Comet Caliente.  They tend to reissue kits similar to new releases.  That would make a great kitbash since the two cars were built on the same platform.  If a racing version came out, that would really increase the possibilities for a  kitbash or two.  

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Great to hear.  I hope it's as nice as the Ventura!  I don't buy as much as I used to, but a nice Cyclone with a few variations could pry my wallet open more than once.  (Hint, Hint.  A nice base model Comet would be great!)  Another cool thing about this kit, even though I shouldn't say this on a Moebius thread, is that it will probably cause Round2 to release their 1964 Comet Caliente.  They tend to reissue kits similar to new releases.  That would make a great kitbash since the two cars were built on the same platform.  If a racing version came out, that would really increase the possibilities for a  kitbash or two.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ditto,.

I have a couple of the 64 Comets and these would make great companions for them .

ESPECIALLY if theres going to be a drag car version

Not trying to hijack the thread, but while Dave is hanging around and reading it I thought it might be a good time to ask when we might see a standard Moebius run of the shortbed F-150 kits, and will it be available with a choice of engines or just the inline six?  Thanks for your time and answers, Del.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but while Dave is hanging around and reading it I thought it might be a good time to ask when we might see a standard Moebius run of the shortbed F-150 kits, and will it be available with a choice of engines or just the inline six?  Thanks for your time and answers, Del.

I'm not saying this to be smart a**. But, I bet Dave reads the comments on Moebuis truck kits in the truck section. The F-100 kits have been reviewed there. That would be a good place to ask the above questions. I too would like to know the answers to them.