Model Cars Magazine Forum

Never Forget

GLMFAA1

I just was thinking last night that today is probably one of the very few times where I had the day off from work since since that happened. Mom also mentioned last night how weird it was driving past the local county airport right after they grounded all those planes. I kid you not, it looked a lot like a mall parking lot does in mid-late December!

Every person in the world will remember exactly where they were and what they were doing that day when they heard the news. I know I will. I worked in construction and radios weren't allowed to be played on the job. When I heard the radio playing and saw the superintendents standing around it, I knew something was up. Like so many, the first was thought to be an accident. It wasn't until the second plane hit that we knew what was truly going on. The world was changed forever.

Curtis, Is America asleep? No everything is just fine. We have Homeland Security, yet people are coming across our borders in droves. Where's the SECURITY?

Keeping us from packing too much mouthwash in our luggage when we fly. I haven't heard; are they still confiscating Medals of Honor at the airport?

It's strange. Hard to think think it has been 13 years, seems like it was only yesterday. On the otherhand, hard to remember what life was like before hand. I was feeding my youngest son who was just a few months old that morning. At first I just thought someone hit the first tower by mistake. As things started to unfold, I was shocked. I still am. May all those lost that day forever rest in peace.

I was living in the NY Metro area, in a NJ suburb with waterfront on the NY harbor, across from Staten Island, at the time and literally was surrounded by the aftermath and memories. The news will cover the big picture, but here's some memories that they won't cover...

+ Three of our Tri-State Scale Model Car Club wives worked in the World Trade Center. It was several nail biting days before we learned they were all safe.

+ My wife could've lost two brothers. One was supposed to interview in the World Trade Center that morning, but decided not to go. Her older brother worked in NYC and was on a subway on it's way to the station in the center. His train was halted on the track, in the middle of the tunnel under the river, to be safely turned back. He watched the towers fall from a parking garage roof in Jersey City, NJ.

+ My wife's sister's husband was in the air when everything happened. He was on his way from Newark Airport to Texas, ironically on a flight that the hijackers had timed, but didn't choose. His plane was forced down in Atlanta. With the US airspace closed, all the rental cars were gone. HIs boss bought a new car to drive them home to NJ.

+ You could see the smoke from the fire from my house in New Jersey. The entire area smelled like there was an electrical fire in your neighborhood for at least a week.

+ There was no broadcast TV from the New York stations for something like six months because all the antennas were on the roof of the World Trade Center. That forced the last holdouts to have cable tv installed. I saw the trucks in my neighborhood for weeks. The wait for a new install was weeks.

+ During the event the entire phone system in NYC and New Jersey was jammed, and brought to it's knees. You couldn't make a call.

+ Living in an area where a lot of people commuted into NYC, several of my children's friends' fathers were lost.

+ Our area was central to several NY airports. There were always a dozen planes visible in the sky. With the airspace closed, it was eerie quiet.

+ At my company in NJ they pulled down the large screens in our cafeteria and ran the live coverage. The cafeteria was full, but nobody ate lunch. With very sparse news we went into lockdown. Nobody in / nobody out of a facility with over 2000 employees.

Mvc020s-vi.jpg

My wife took this photo at the end of my street in Central NJ. We could see the World Trade Center glistening over Staten Island from our water front. I couldn't bring myself to look that way for a long time.

I lost my job in the economic downturn after 9-11. The irony was that the very first offer I got was to work at One NY Plaza, a tall black building facing the NYC waterfront, right in the same vicinity as the World Trade Center. I couldn't bring myself to accept the offer.

Edited by Tom Geiger

perhaps we should take a moment to reflect on how our country (USA) has lost so much in the days months and years after this event and how we collectively have attempted to trade "security" for freedom. and perhaps think for a moment about how we need to be protected from the chickens coming home to roost from our decades of poor foreign policy decisions and wanton destruction to other countries by the cowboys who have ruled this nation over the past 50 years or so.

but probably not. carry on. and move topic to off topic lounge.

jb

perhaps we should take a moment to reflect on how our country (USA) has lost so much in the days months and years after this event and how we collectively have attempted to trade "security" for freedom.

Everything changed that day. Our freedom to move around without question. The fear we all feel. The increased implications of safety as we travel by plane... taking our shoes off to be scanned. Needing a passport for places we didn't before.

The terrorists have won. They have altered our lives.