Model Cars Magazine Forum

New To The Forum

forwardlook60

Hi Folks,

New to the forum...and what a great discovery. Some of the work that I've seen here in

browsing is just fantastic and truly inspirational. I'm especially taken with the work being

done by MrObsessive on the '55 Ford....W O W!!

Just thought that I'd make the introduction and present for your examination my last

completed project...a 1955 Shasta 16' trailer. I know that it's not a car...but it certainly

rides behind one. I hope that the (Photobucket hosted) pics show up okay...it's my first

attempt at photo inclusion.

Steve

ShastaTrailerOS-RFclose.jpg

ShastaTrailerOS-LR.jpg

ShastaTrailerOS-RSunderlaycrop.jpg

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the kind words...this has got to be my new modeling

home.

And Bill, that's not a bad idea...when you finish the '55 I should send the trailer to you so you

can photograph it behind the Ford. Headline: Summer Vacation 1956 Family on their way west!!

What do you think?

Steve

Marc,

I started by making a pattern (hand drawn) then transfering the pattern to scribed styrene.

Basically it was all cutting and fitting from there. Everything was scratchbuilt...either fabricated

from styrene or brass...However, the propane tank is an old medicine bottle (cut and reshaped),

the wheels are scratch built but the wheel covers were custom covers robbed from an old Ford

kit. The curtains were made from an old shirt (pleated over using Niagra spray starch and an iron).

I drew the Shasta logo using CorelDraw, resized it, then made the decals using my Alps MD-5000

printer. The paint colors are custom mixes....the white is Testors Gloss White with a few drops of

orange and brown tints....the pink is, again, a Testors mix Of White and Guards Red with a couple

of drops of yellow for flavor. Since the model was completed, I have modified the chassis in that

I have removed the single axle and constructed an independant axle setup. I did this for several

reasons 1. So that the model would have more 'give' when attached to cars of varying rear-end height,

2. So that the model would roll better (more smoothly). I have basically suspended the axles on

each side using hand built springs and paper-clip retainers. I looks goofy under there, but it works.

You might say that, in this case form does not follow function.

This reminds me of that great part in 'Young Frankenstein' when they find young 'Frodericks'

grandfather's book: "How I Did It - by Victor Frankenstein" But remember thats 'Fraankenschteeen'.

Anyway, here are just a few of the construction photos....

Sides

56Shasta-RandLsidepanels.jpg

Body Together

56Shasta-BodyshellRF.jpg

Chassis-Floor

56Shasta-Chassisw-wheels.jpg

Wing and Tongue

56Shasta-TongueandLwing.jpg

Just after painting and decaling

ShastaModelpaintedLF.jpg

Steve

• 1 year later...
Hi Folks,

New to the forum...and what a great discovery. Some of the work that I've seen here in

browsing is just fantastic and truly inspirational. I'm especially taken with the work being

Just thought that I'd make the introduction and present for your examination my last

completed project...a 1955 Shasta 16' trailer. I know that it's not a car...but it certainly

rides behind one. I hope that the (Photobucket hosted) pics show up okay...it's my first

Steve

ShastaTrailerOS-LR.jpg

hi steve wecome, i cant find a word to describe you shasta trailer.......wow wow wow !!!!!!! great work! i love it, have been wanting to build one like that for years, very very nice! it is always great to meet others with the same interest. you will find a bunch of helpful,caring,thoughtful guys here, i just recently joined up and have found that they all are just great and share the love of the hobby as i do........... thanks for sharing the photos with us all . disabled modeler mark

That's just awesome work there man. I thought it was a kit at first. I was like where can I get one! In the spirit of the holidays I've gotta share this line from Christmas Vacation.

Clark: So, when did you get the tenament on wheels?

Eddie: Oh, that uh, that there's an RV. Yeah, yeah, I borrowed it off a buddy of mine. He took my house, I took the RV. It's a good looking vehicle, ain't it?

Clark: Yeah, it looks so nice parked in the driveway.

[Raises class to his mouth]

Eddie: Yeah, it sure does. But, don't you go falling in love with it now, because, we're taking it with us when we leave here next month.

[Clark nearly chokes on his drink]

Thanks to one and all for the great comments. Although this thread was posted

nearly two years ago, the renewed welcome is appreciated.

For those seriously interested in constructing such a model, I still have my

initial drawings and a small number of the self-made decals.

This model is a replica of the trailer my parents hauled behind our 1957

Plymouth Suburban for our trip west in 1957. I am working on completing

a replica of that car based on the Modelhaus kit. So perhaps in the near

future, pictures of this trailer, being pulled by that car, may appear here.

Again, thanks to all.....and to all a very happy Thanksgiving.

Steve

Hi Folks,

Steve

ShastaTrailerOS-LR.jpg

wow,that is awesome!! that idea has never crossed my mind,building a caravan. very nice work